E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Spider Tuning Box - Forum Offer.

01-31-2009, 10:16 AM   #287
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Well Diesel Tuner have been in touch and said that the processer on the the board was corrupt and was obviously sending incorrect signals to the engine etc, they have replaced it and it's on the way back to me.

Very good customer service, things do go wrong as we all know and when they do it's good to get a quick fix to the problem.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:45 PM   #288
monkeynuts
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320d SE

Mine's arrived. Anyone know what tools I'll need to remove the cover on the 163ps version? I gather the newer 177 version just pulls up but mine has screws/bolts?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 04:28 PM   #289
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

Well - figured how to get the cover off.

All excited about getting it installed and guess what - the plug doesn't fit. Looking at it carefully, there are plastic rails inside the female plug and you can see that they are no way gonna line up with the plug comming off the ECU (going into the common rail).

So now I've got to wait for a new lead to be sent I guess.

Is it just me that this kind of thing happens to?!

Will contact Mike in the morning and see what's what.

Last edited by monkeynuts; 02-02-2009 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 01:11 PM   #290
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep

Well got mine back eventually (snow delayed post), thought I would stick back in now that roads were clear.

Started up car - whhoooa too much smoke, kicking out serious Shit!! After a few revs didn't change so turned off and whipped the box out again.

Restarted and still kicking out the aforementioned. Now I have emission warning light!!! drove to BMW and they did check and said past fault so did reset for me.

Diesel Tuner said it maybe jumper setting and to move back, but I am reluctant to put back in now to even try. Will the light go off on its own if it's triggered again?

It's definetly the box as running fine again now.

What do you suggest?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 01:14 PM   #291
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deejaygee View Post
Well got mine back eventually (snow delayed post), thought I would stick back in now that roads were clear.

Started up car - whhoooa too much smoke, kicking out serious Shit!! After a few revs didn't change so turned off and whipped the box out again.

Restarted and still kicking out the aforementioned. Now I have emission warning light!!! drove to BMW and they did check and said past fault so did reset for me.

Diesel Tuner said it maybe jumper setting and to move back, but I am reluctant to put back in now to even try. Will the light go off on its own if it's triggered again?

It's definetly the box as running fine again now.

What do you suggest?
Get it mapped instead?
      02-06-2009, 01:15 PM   #292
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep

That's what I thought, but I want my £300 back from Diesel Tuner 1st!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 04:18 AM   #293
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep

Anybody has similar issues with emissions warnings?
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 04:27 AM   #294
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

I did before, can't remember what car it was, but knocked the settings back and it was fine.

The light goes off after you have driven round a bit with it on, you don't need the dealer to reset it.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 09:51 AM   #295
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

Hey Deejaygee - is yours the newer 177ps or the 163?

I spoke to the chaps at Diesel Tuner on Tuesday and they confirmed that I had been sent the wrong lead. I returned the faulty one stright away but am still waiting for the replacement. Hoping I don't run into the same problems that are described above - fingers crossed!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #296
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep

Mine is the 165BHP engine / box.

I decided to try again today, moved jumper (I only have one that goes on both pins) back popped in engine and guess what.......no smoking but the emissions warning light was straight on again (real strong smell though).

So now if I move jumper back again its on the 1st one - will have almost no effect even if it works with warning light coming on. Going to speak again on Monday and ask for a replacement box completely.

Will report back on their customer service again next week. I now if i'm honest would rather have my money back and go and get a remap. I have been sending emails for almost a year to mike saying there was something wrong!!

Not a satisfied customer.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #297
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

Got my new lead and fitted today.

Thankfully, no issues so far. First drive definately felt quicker but like others have said, it's quite subtle - which is fine for me. I'm sure I noticed a smell of deisel smoke at slow speeds but maybe i'm being paranoid - couldn't see any smoke in the mirrors and engine feels as smooth as it was before if not smoother.

Interested to see what happens next and intrigued to see if MPG will actually improve (in terms of less frequent visits to the pumps as opposed to the OBC!).
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2009, 03:54 PM   #298
deejaygee
Private First Class
Rep

Found out today my cable was shagged - completely severed!! how the hell the car even started I don't. Credit to Nick at Diesel Tuner, he is sorting it all out for me with a full recheck etc.

Hopefully have it back again this week and hopefully it will work!!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 11:17 AM   #299
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

Done a few miles on mine now and it seems to have bedded in. The power increase is quite noticeable but only when you need it - if you take it easy, you wouldn't really know it was there. I guess this is why it manages not to affect MPG. My MPG seems about the same at the moment which is a bit dissapointing as part of my reason for buying it was to improve this.

Whilst I understand from other posts that tuning boxes are relatively crude compared to remaps, this one seems to be very smooth and it does what it says on the tin!
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2009, 03:59 PM   #300
Budgie
Major
England
Rep
Drives: X1 25D M sport

Garage List
All BMW's denzil power is very linear when compared to a VAG power shove or small powerband.

After around 100miles it limbers up and adjusts and will on a run most certainly have better economy.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 02:28 PM   #301
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

Just to follow up, I've done around 250-300 miles now and I've now got to the point where I'm used to the difference! (you know that feeling when you get a new motor and it feels quick for the first two weeks until you get used to it!). It's only when I glance at the speedo that I am reminded sometimes! Can't help thinking 'is it really developing 195bhp?'... not enough to actually pay to find out though!

MPG seems to have improved marginally - from about 40mpg to 42 at the moment. I guess that's not bad considering I've been 'testing' the Spider now and then.

Noticed a lot of diesel smoke from the rear when pushing hard in second when it's still warming up - but I couldn't say for sure that it didn't used to do that anyway.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 12:43 PM   #302
monkeynuts
Private
Rep

Well - now I'm not so sure it's my imagination. Followed an 07 320d from 50 to 70 ish today and there was virtually no difference. I was in 4th so I imagine he would have been too - I doubt he was in 3rd judging by the fact that no smoke was billowing from the exhaust (it was a down-turned pipe like mine).

I decided to check the jumpers and min has a red jumperon the bottom which is 3 pins from the left and a blue one on top which is 3 from the right (I'm looking at it face-on with the circuit board underneath the pin block). I was quite surprised to see this as others have said that theirs is on pin 4 or 5 from the right So I thought I'd move the bottom one (red) one pin to the right to see what happens.

Started the engine and let it idle for a minute (no instruction on whether this is necessary, but was erring on the side of caution). Started fine, no black smoke - seemed happy. Then I took it for a spin and it now seems quicker at the top end but with more lag at the low end. The net result is quicker but you have to drive it like a petrol!

Can anyone else confirm their jumper settings and whether you have red and blue jumpers like mine?

Will probably speak with Mike during the week to try and get to the bottom of it because it's a bit of a mystery at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:31 AM   #303
bec1
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw E90 320d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gr4z View Post
How quickly did you get yours? I have been waiting 8 days now and still no delivery.

<edit> just got delivered
Anyone got recommendations of where in the engine bay to mount the box? Thanks
Hi I am new to this forum and where I can buy this spider box.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:41 AM   #304
bec1
Registered
Rep

Spider Box

Hi to all were I can purchase a spider box for bmw e90 320d and thus these boxes post to worldwide due that I am a foreigner.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2009, 05:48 AM   #305
bec1
Registered
Rep

Race Chip

Hi to all could anyone confirm this tuning box link attached

http://www.racechip.de/

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2009, 05:15 AM   #306
marcm
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 LCI

Does anyone know if the forum offer for the Spider is still on ?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 07:01 AM   #307
Jimmy1982
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 3 Series Coupe - M Sport

has this been sorted?? mine is also doing this!! was ok when i fitted it but then the engine management warning light comes on and restricts the power! :-( NEED HELP!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotw View Post
Mine did arrive guys, but on fitting produced an engine management warning. I'm working with the Spider guys to see if we can get it to work, I could have just been unlucky and got a damaged/duff one. Hopefully I'll be all fixed soon.
Appreciate 0