E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > hmm question !

08-24-2009, 12:31 AM   #1
nvnone91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

hmm question !

i have a cop story to share and i also have a question regarding it

i have learned a lot from the experience so i'd appreciate it if you guys could js give me feedbacks on my story. tbh, it was actually my first time getting pulled over so and i got scared so cut me some slacks T_T
i probably could shorten the story to 2 sentences but i know i'd eventually have to give all the juicy details out so here i go !

okay, so i was near my community and this car in front was going about 5mph up a small hill for a while then just turned right into a diff street w/o signaling.
i was irritated so i tapped the transmission to sports mode and gased it a bit and the speed shot up to about 40+mph.
since the hill was curved, i didn't see the cop on the other side of the lane until i was already going way past the speed limit.
after i passed the cop, i saw the car attemptin to make a U-Turn in my rear view mirror (the street was narrow so he couldn't do it at once).
at that moment, i panicked (since i knew he was prob coming for me) and i was only .2 miles from home.
so i just went on about 30mph to my house, opened the garage and went in.
unfortunately, the cops saw me go in the garage and made me open it up
they asked for my insurance, license, etc. and interrogated me.
they asked why i ran from them and i just told them that i thought maybe they had let me go since i didn't hear any siren or anythin (yeah, stupid alright -.- but i had nothing else to say and it seemed a bit credible)
they made me stand outside my house for about 25mins while they spent the time lookin stuff up on their computer and a driving law manual
afterwards, they agreed that my record was clean, and that it's dangerous to drive that fast and that i should slow down and they let me go.

okay, now the question that's been bothering me for the longest time is,
was i fortunate that they let me go?
i was&am really grateful cuz i thought i met the nicest cops (i can assure you, they were not the nicest looking cops around) that let me fly.
my friends said that since i was already in MY property, they didn't have the right to give me a ticket, so they HAD to let me go.
another said that if they gave me a ticket, i had a good chance of taking it to the court and winning.
i also heard that i could've been ticketed for speeding & runnin from cops (which is supposedly a crime?)

soo.. feedbacks please ! haha thank you

p.s. i go max of 30mph around in a neighborhood now and haven't got pulled over since tyvm -__-x
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:10 AM   #2
Carfreak9922
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30

if he didnt have his siren on then you shouldnt have gotten the ticket
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:16 AM   #3
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

A couple ways to look at it. You weren't driving at any ridiculous rate of speed, so they most likely weren't going to screw you either way. If they never turned the lights or sirens on then they weren't actually "pursuing" you. Even if you made it back to your property, they can still do whatever they feel like to you because you broke the law on the road. On the other hand if they did have their lights on and were actually after you it would be considered felony evasion and possibly evading arrest. Both are felonies and both would get you locked up.

In reality though, they just saw you were a kid, in a BMW, driving to fast in a residential area. They just wanted to scare the shit out of you and get you to slow down before you run over children.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:28 AM   #4
Three3OH
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i Sedan

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [0.00]
2003 Acura NSX  [0.00]
This isn't baseball...Just because you made it home doesn't mean you were "SAFE". As soon as you told the officer "maybe they had let you go" you were admitting guilt to the moving violation. You were exceeding the speed limit on a public road and he had probable cause to pull you over. In this case you just happened to arrive at your destination before he had a chance to call it in and pull you over. Whether it was your home, business, or grocery store he had every right to verify the ownership of the vehicle. Sure it was your home but, for all he knew, you could have been driving a stolen vehicle or had a warrant out for your arrest. Despite your efforts, the court would probably side with the officer if he had issued you a citation and you would still have been responsible for the fine. So yes, I would say it was your lucky day.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 01:44 AM   #5
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three3OH View Post
This isn't baseball...Just because you made it home doesn't mean you were "SAFE". As soon as you told the officer "maybe they had let you go" you were admitting guilt to the moving violation. You were exceeding the speed limit on a public road and he had probable cause to pull you over. In this case you just happened to arrive at your destination before he had a chance to call it in and pull you over. Whether it was your home, business, or grocery store he had every right to verify the ownership of the vehicle. Sure it was your home but, for all he knew, you could have been driving a stolen vehicle or had a warrant out for your arrest. Despite your efforts, the court would probably side with the officer if he had issued you a citation and you would still have been responsible for the fine. So yes, I would say it was your lucky day.
+1 dude the cops could have gotten you for evasion with so much less. according to your friends' logic you can open up a 150 on your street, pull into your garage, and somehow not get in trouble?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 02:35 AM   #6
nvnone91
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three3OH View Post
ohh i see i see
yeah that makes sense
thanks for the explanations !
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 09:44 AM   #7
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvnone91 View Post
my friends said that since i was already in MY property, they didn't have the right to give me a ticket, so they HAD to let me go.

another said that if they gave me a ticket, i had a good chance of taking it to the court and winning.
i also heard that i could've been ticketed for speeding & runnin from cops (which is supposedly a crime?)
1. Your friends are wrong. The cops can't give you a ticket for speeding "on your driveway" -- if that were possible -- but you were observed speeding on a public street before you got to your driveway. Plus, you were attempting to evade a police officer.

2. Yes, you could have been ticketed for speeding and evading. No "supposedly" about it. Be thankful the cop let you go.
      08-24-2009, 10:04 AM   #8
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
children these days ... thinking they can avoid cops by going on 'their' (parents') property
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:29 AM   #9
fwmcb
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 F30 328i X-drive

Garage List
2010 128i  [0.00]
Man, siren or not they can stop you. Pulling into your garage to obstruct an investigation can only make things worse. You found a couple of awesome cops. Now if they had no reason to pull you over and did, then I'd say they were just checking up on a kid in a bimmer, which happens... I used to have a bit of an entourage when I went through town. You're lucky to have an awesome car. Use it with care especially in residential areas!
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:30 AM   #10
ianthegreat
Colonel
Rep
Drives: n54

I've been pulled over countless times and not once did they use a siren. Is that some kind of law? I don't think so. As long as they have their red and blue lights flashing. The cops that pulled you over were nice guys.

Something funny.. if you really want to piss a cop off and probably guarantee yourself a ticket.. Legally, you don't have to roll the window down - only enough so that you can slip your information in and out. I've never done it, but it makes me laugh thinking someone might try baaaaaaarely cracking the window to slip their insurance and license in and out. In all honesty, he'll probably make you step outside at that point.

Last edited by ianthegreat; 08-24-2009 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Perfectus
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i/F10 528XI

Consider yourself lucky...the police can do anything...well, almost anything.
Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 02:41 PM   #12
zerodb
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Your mistake was going home - obviously the correct response would be to find a drive-thru paint shop on your GPS and change the color of your car so they can't find you.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 06:03 PM   #13
hhkim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335d

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerodb View Post
Your mistake was going home - obviously the correct response would be to find a drive-thru paint shop on your GPS and change the color of your car so they can't find you.
I hate how you can't pick the color.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #14
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:

Lots of correct information here though. Don't listen to your friends. Going IN the garage could have created a huge ordeal, so consider yourself lucky. Pulling in your driveway and stopping may have been a good idea, but they can still write you up.

If you put yourself in his shoes, the officer doesn't know whether you have a firearm on your passenger seat, smuggling Mexicans in the back of your trunk, or just doing a few clicks over the limit.

Don't panic should this happen again. Being jumpy only makes the officer jumpy, and less likely to hear you out or issue a warning. Stop immediately, foot off the brake (or shut off the car), both hands on the wheel. No ruffling about, just sit and wait. Compliance will help make the cop feel comfortable, and that's what you ultimately want in that situation.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:12 PM   #15
formula0
Rep
Drives: E90 - BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jopa489 View Post

Lots of correct information here though. Don't listen to your friends. Going IN the garage could have created a huge ordeal, so consider yourself lucky. Pulling in your driveway and stopping may have been a good idea, but they can still write you up.

Don't panic should this happen again. Being jumpy only makes the officer jumpy, and less likely to hear you out or issue a warning.

Couldn't have said it better myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2009, 10:23 PM   #16
335i_LeMans_pkgmax
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 09 - 335i Xdrive Sdn

Quote:

GTA!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:19 AM   #17
Neutrino45
Major
Rep
Drives: XXX

You should have reminded them who pays for their salary.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:23 AM   #18
NightStalker
Rep
Drives: Audi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 01:26 AM   #19
mbj898
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutrino45 View Post
haha a surefire way to GET a ticket

Appreciate 0
      08-25-2009, 06:05 AM   #20
JC316
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5 M50i | 2009 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Takashi View Post
True that.

To OP: Your friends are incorrect and you should never listen / ask them for adivce. According to your friends, you can do drive by shooting, break and enter, arson, hijack airplanes at JFK and fly them to government buildings. A warrant can be issued for your arrest; however, the police, FBI, and KGB cannot arrest you so long as you are hiding in your home.

Consider yourself extremely lucky that you got let off with a waraning and I would consider finding new friends from now on.
I did this before..... on GTA
Appreciate 0