Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Is it normal to scratch rims when tire swap?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-21-2005, 07:44 PM   #1
Damage Inc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Is it normal to scratch rims when tire swap?

Hi all

Still waiting for my car to show up from ED and will need to gets the snows put on right away. I've always just swapped my summer\winter tires on stock rims, however I have noticed the couple places I've gone were kinda sloppy. Not only were the rims dirty when they're done but both times they had a few scratches, etc. When I ask the shop, they say there's nothing they can do about it. Nothing major, BTW, but I'm pretty anal about my car.

Anyway: I have a brand new car this time and the rims are perfect. Should I expect the rims to be perfect after the winter tires are put on? I'm going to make it clear (in writing) that if the rims arent in the same condition after they put on the winter tires, then they need to fix the rim.

I know this sounds obvious, but any thoughts on this?

TIA.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2005, 08:08 PM   #2
longtran
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
yes, what kind of moron said it is normal to scratch rims when changing tires?? make sure your wheels are in perfect condition when its done. it will be a little greasy, because they need to lube the edges to get the tires to slip on. but it shouldnt have any scratches....good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2005, 08:57 AM   #3
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

The rims on my last car got pretty badly scratched after the regular snows on/snows off routine. I was taking them to a discount place (Mavis).

It never caused a problem, but it did look awful.

This time, I'm not sure if I'll get snows but if I do, I will get rims just for them. It saves the rims, and it's more convenient to be able to change them yourself instead of waiting around a tire dealership for hours.

Plus, it will be cheaper to get them from TireRack than even the discount people charge.

Not something you guys in Southern California have to worry about, though.
      11-23-2005, 11:30 AM   #4
petesamprs
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

I swap my wheels myself and I had a tough time avoiding scratches near the lug areas. ie, in the 5 channels for the lug bolts, i found i scratched it several times putting the lug wrench in and out. guess that's unavoidable though

Retired: '08 M5, '08 550i (ED), '06 330i
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2005, 11:01 AM   #5
driverseven
Curve junky
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228 Black

that's not too bad -- the damage that discount tire places did to my rims was more like gouges all around the edges, as though they were using pry bars to remove the tire