E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > So 2 weeks my 22ple is gone...

04-29-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
So 2 weeks my 22ple is gone...

Went to wash off all the pollen off my car and well... it acts like there is nothing left. No beading or sheeting. Last week it was perfect. I used a car wash on hp soap and rinse then no spot to get the crap off...

Looked like this after maxisuds and a rinse.

Now it's like this. Worse on hood roof and trunk

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Let me start by saying that beading is NOT an indication of protection. This is a myth that has been tossed around the detailing industry forever.

Water beading is simply a product of high surface tension, which most waxes, sealants, and coatings have upon application, however many factors can effect surface tension and therefore effect the way water behaves on the surface of your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Surface tension is the elastic tendency of a fluid surface which makes it acquire the least surface area possible.
This means that high surface tension yields tall, pretty beads (water covering less area), while lower surface tension results in a flat appearance (water covering more area).

Surfactants (found in nearly every cleaner or soap) will lower surface tension, which is why many of us may think that by simply spraying an APC or heavy concentration of shamoo on a surface that protection is gone, but in reality the only thing we know for sure is that the surface tension was reduced......
Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
Surfactants are compounds that lower the surface tension (or interfacial tension) between two liquids or between a liquid and a solid. Surfactants may act as detergents, wetting agents, emulsifiers, foaming agents, and dispersants.
.....There is no way to know if the protection (coating, wax, or sealant) is actually removed without some advanced laboratory testing..... but that is a can of worms all on its own.

There are also many environmental contaminates that can effect the surface tension... pollen is a big one! and something that I personally struggle with throughout the spring. My water beading will degrade quite a bit after the vehicle is covered with pollen, however a thorough wash with CarPro Reset followed by clay if needed has always revived the water beading if the coating was applied properly.

So, to sum it up... lack of water beading does NOT mean your coating is gone. If the coating was applied properly, the lack of water beading simply means you have something on the paint that has altered the surface tension. This can usually be revived with a thorough cleaning, but sometimes will not return to 100%. Over time, hydrophobic properties of coatings will degrade due to environmental contamination (this could take years, or as you've found out, a matter of days depending on your environment). A deep cleaning should be performed, followed by applying a coating topper if desired. Remember, one of the main purpose of a coating topper is to boost hydrophobic properties for those who value that effect on their vehicle.

Please let me know if you've got any questions.

Zach McGovern
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Author
www.DetailPeoria.com

Last edited by Detailed Image; 04-29-2016 at 12:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
slimxb8
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Ok so taken what you mentioned Zach, and thinking it through, I decided to rewash the car by hand and 2 bucket... since it was the top surfaces that seem to not bead, I thought maybe the pollen left behind a film or something. After the foam gun and hand wash, it was almost like it was before in the video...

Thanks Zach for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 07:21 PM   #4
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Happy to help. A good hand washing is key... the pressure spray soap and rinse does not provide nearly the same level of cleaning.

-Zach
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2016, 10:01 PM   #5
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

I go through the same struggle with pollen every spring . It may be a first world problem, but that doesn't make it any less annoying