E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Best shocks for OE sport feel

01-24-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Best shocks for OE sport feel

At 101k miles on stock suspension and it feels like new shocks are not too far away. Id love to get something that just replicates the stock OE sport suspension. 2007 e92 335i. Sounds loke bilstein and konis are good options? Thanks guys

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 09:23 PM   #2
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I've heard good things about the blistein HD.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2012, 10:32 PM   #3
Fraggy
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

A lightly used set of sport shocks will give you the exact same feel and cost you a lot less.

Konis and bilsteins will give a significant upgrade from stock.
2020 M340
Appreciate 1
Skoidat69280.00
      01-24-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Yes, used shocks are the best deal. 2nd best deal: Sachs OEM replacement shocks, or Bilstein B4 "Touring Class" shocks. These are all aimed at people who just want to replace their shocks with the same thing.

Bilstein HD or Koni Sport are much better made, last longer, and will give you a slightly stiffer and better ride.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 08:48 AM   #5
Bcube
Been there, wrecked that.
Rep
Drives: '07 E93 335i

I went with Koni FSDs from HP AutoWerkes after talking with Harold. As my car isn't tracked, I kept the OEM sport springs, and didn't see the need to go to Koni Yellows.
      01-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #6
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Good choice. I'n not a fan of Bilsteins - too harsh especially on bumpy roads. They use a LOT of gas pressure and compression damping. They're more suited to smooth roads or for people who don't care about the harsh performance over bumps. I've had customers put them on and then ask us to take them back off after just a few months.
      01-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM3M5 View Post
Good choice. I'n not a fan of Bilsteins - too harsh especially on bumpy roads. They use a LOT of gas pressure and compression damping. They're more suited to smooth roads or for people who don't care about the harsh performance over bumps. I've had customers put them on and then ask us to take them back off after just a few months.
James, I think you're right, Bilstein HDs have more bump damping than Koni sports. And, your customers have every right to choose a suspension that's right for them. But, I think you came to the wrong conclusion. Bilsteins are not harsh. Not even close to harsh. All the shocks we're talking about are relatively soft, and so are the E9X HDs.

I want to caution people from drawing conclusions from a few customers' experiences. When customers install HDs they often combine with lowering springs, and when they do that they often slam the car and combine that with ultra low sidewall tires and extremely heavy wheels. It's not a good recipe for a suspension. But, I have no idea if that explains these customers' experiences. Maybe they're just used to softer suspensions, who knows.

There are, I don't know, maybe a hundred reviews on Tire Rack where people are perfectly happy after installing HDs on their car, some of them BMWs and some of them not. Many of these people have no real expectation or desire for performance, and they are perfectly happy with HDs. These shocks are designed to be, and are, high quality replacements for original equipment. Bilstein makes bones about high performance but the difference is small.

HDs have been the go-to shock for BMWs for decades. They are almost universally liked as a replacement for OE. Check out Roundel magazine.

I have HDs intended for the M3, so that's *two* steps up in bump damping from OE sport, and it's softer than my E36 non-sport.

Finally, the high gas pressure adds maybe 2# to the spring rate, and has a negligible effect on bump resistance. The gas has nothing to do with the resistance properties of the shock; resistance is effected by forcing oil through small holes. The gas serves to keep the oil under pressure so that it doesn't foam up, and the only side effect is the 2# air spring, which as I said you're not going to feel.

-Luckyu, resident Bilstein apologist

P.S. I do not sell Bilstein or Koni or any other shock.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2012, 03:05 PM   #8
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

And if I were to go with the new BMW perf. suspn. including front sway on Tischer, how would you compare it to HD's? From me coming from a non-sport, 18inch squared non-RFT's, 40 profile all around. Then eventually going to 19s staggered, non-RFT's 35 front, 30 rear, about 25lbs per wheel.

This is ultimately my first and last susp. set up for my E90. And I'm at 50,100 miles. At this rate should I be replacing any other stock parts, end links, arms, bushings, anything that is potentially worn and could be worn out faster with newer parts installed. I just came from an indy shop to inspect my susp., it "looks" tip top, handles the same as it ever did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyu View Post
James, I think you're right, Bilstein HDs have more bump damping than Koni sports. And, your customers have every right to choose a suspension that's right for them. But, I think you came to the wrong conclusion. Bilsteins are not harsh. Not even close to harsh. All the shocks we're talking about are relatively soft, and so are the E9X HDs.

I want to caution people from drawing conclusions from a few customers' experiences. When customers install HDs they often combine with lowering springs, and when they do that they often slam the car and combine that with ultra low sidewall tires and extremely heavy wheels. It's not a good recipe for a suspension. But, I have no idea if that explains these customers' experiences. Maybe they're just used to softer suspensions, who knows.

There are, I don't know, maybe a hundred reviews on Tire Rack where people are perfectly happy after installing HDs on their car, some of them BMWs and some of them not. Many of these people have no real expectation or desire for performance, and they are perfectly happy with HDs. These shocks are designed to be, and are, high quality replacements for original equipment. Bilstein makes bones about high performance but the difference is small.

HDs have been the go-to shock for BMWs for decades. They are almost universally liked as a replacement for OE. Check out Roundel magazine.

I have HDs intended for the M3, so that's *two* steps up in bump damping from OE sport, and it's softer than my E36 non-sport.

Finally, the high gas pressure adds maybe 2# to the spring rate, and has a negligible effect on bump resistance. The gas has nothing to do with the resistance properties of the shock; resistance is effected by forcing oil through small holes. The gas serves to keep the oil under pressure so that it doesn't foam up, and the only side effect is the 2# air spring, which as I said you're not going to feel.

Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 05:03 PM   #9
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko kai View Post
And if I were to go with the new BMW perf. suspn. including front sway on Tischer, how would you compare it to HD's? From me coming from a non-sport, 18inch squared non-RFT's, 40 profile all around. Then eventually going to 19s staggered, non-RFT's 35 front, 30 rear, about 25lbs per wheel.

This is ultimately my first and last susp. set up for my E90. And I'm at 50,100 miles. At this rate should I be replacing any other stock parts, end links, arms, bushings, anything that is potentially worn and could be worn out faster with newer parts installed. I just came from an indy shop to inspect my susp., it "looks" tip top, handles the same as it ever did.
Yoko, I am a stiff shocks, soft springs man. I just like the way a well damped suspension feels. I really like the way Bilsteins feel on my car. On the highway especially the car's ride is just fantastic. It is soft and supple, stable and flat with only the slightest float, and responsive.

What springs do you propose using with the HDs... sport springs? HDs with sport springs would be analogous to what I have, maybe 15% less stiff. I think it will feel very good.

The new perf kit, shocks + springs, will also be good. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these options.

If I have to guess, the HDs with sport springs will be better damped. I don't have direct experience with the new performance kit.

Front tension struts and rear shock mounts (upper) may be worth changing now. At 50K they're not worn out, but it saves you going back at 80K. RSMs especially are cheap and you save 100% labor by doing it now. This is based on data from others, not my personal experience. You probably don't want to know about all the other rubber stuff that's wearing out down there!
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #10
Craigito
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16' F82 M4

Garage List
2020 BMW M4   [10.00]
Ok...decided to go with bilstein hd. Thanks for the responses guys.

Current Ride 2016 M4 / Mineral Gray / DCT/ Full Black Leather / 19in Gunmetal / Executive /LED/Ohlinds RT/SSR DP-CP-Intake/AP Essex 9668/Bootmod STG 2/DINAN HE
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:31 PM   #11
Navacellus
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E91; 1999 E36/8

Good choice! I put HDs in my E91(Xi) last summer and could not be more pleased. When I ordered in April there were no HDs available and I had to wait until around August to finally get a complete set. Bilstein was pretty much the only option for an aftermarket shock/strut (for an Xi Wagon) that maintained factory ride height. With high mileage ( I was at ~100K) I would recommend replacing all the mount components as well just to make the install bullet proof. I've got about 5K miles, an autocross and a winter road rally on the HDs since the install and no clunks, thumps etc...
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2012, 12:35 PM   #12
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

+1 on Koni FSD's on stock sport springs. If you still want a close stock feel but more performance, go with Koni Yellow + Eibach springs.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 07:53 AM   #13
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
+1 on Koni FSD's on stock sport springs. If you still want a close stock feel but more performance, go with Koni Yellow + Eibach springs.
This is what I'd recommend, too.

We have some pretty crappy, poorly maintained roads here in Northern VA, and YMMV.

Gas pressure absolutely increases harshness on a damper. Gas force is (relatively) constant and requires a bump to exceed the gas force to get the suspension moving, which is why we tune dampers with proper compression characteristics to reduce gas pressure yet prevent cavitation. This is also why the most expensive dampers are "through-rod" where gas pressure has no effect on gas force - it is zero.

I'm a soft damper / soft spring guy, even for full out race cars. I've used Bilsteins in the past for many years, but I have not been happy with them lately. They have toned it down in the past, but still not to my liking.
      01-27-2012, 01:24 PM   #14
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
We have some pretty crappy, poorly maintained roads here in Northern VA, and YMMV.
That's true road quality is an important factor.

Quote:
Gas pressure absolutely increases harshness on a damper. Gas force is (relatively) constant and requires a bump to exceed the gas force to get the suspension moving, which is why we tune dampers with proper compression characteristics to reduce gas pressure yet prevent cavitation. This is also why the most expensive dampers are "through-rod" where gas pressure has no effect on gas force - it is zero.
Wait. You believe that the high-pressure nitrogen gas behind the floating wall makes it harder for the shaft to move in the compression direction?

Quote:
I'm a soft damper / soft spring guy, even for full out race cars. I've used Bilsteins in the past for many years, but I have not been happy with them lately. They have toned it down in the past, but still not to my liking.
Fair enough. You know though, what you consider soft in your racing application, might be really stiff to me!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #15
Route 16
I got lei'd
Philippines
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 M3

I wouldn't mind you telling me what should be replaced, as long as I can change it and keep it rideable for the long haul and it keeps the wife and baby happy in the backseat.

Quote:
Front tension struts and rear shock mounts (upper) may be worth changing now. At 50K they're not worn out, but it saves you going back at 80K. RSMs especially are cheap and you save 100% labor by doing it now. This is based on data from others, not my personal experience. You probably don't want to know about all the other rubber stuff that's wearing out down there!
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 04:09 PM   #16
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I wouldn't mind you telling me what should be replaced, as long as I can change it and keep it rideable for the long haul and it keeps the wife and baby happy in the backseat.
The only additional thing I would consider mentioning are the rear subframe bushings, because my understanding is they might wear out or start leaking before 100K.

But they might not. And, they're very expensive to change (at least $800), unless you're already installing a rear sway bar. So I would leave them be. If you do change them, switch to the M3 bushings.

So I would recommend the tension strut and the rear shock mount, and I would upgrade to the Meyle HD tension strut. That will be a little better and the baby can still experience a smooth ride...
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #17
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Quote:
But they might not. And, they're very expensive to change (at least $800), unless you're already installing a rear sway bar. So I would leave them be. If you do change them, switch to the M3 bushings.
I wouldn't switch to M3 subframe bushings if he's going to have a wife/baby in the back, it will stiffen up the ride. Stick with OEM 335i with those. I'm all for M3 bushings if you don't mind sacrificing some ride comfort.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:20 PM   #18
N54sDUSTxi
bg
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & E92 335xiStage2+

Garage List
Quote:
Much appreciated info... Sachs it is.

Bg

DD: 2011 BMW M3 S65 E93 w/ Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Evo. Line w/ staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sports

TRACK: 2008 BMW 335xi E92 N54 Stage 2 MHD/JB4, full bolt-ons w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 3S
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 06:46 PM   #19
N54sDUSTxi
bg
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E93 M3 & E92 335xiStage2+

Garage List
Quote:

Seems like OEM/Sachs are more aligned with BMW og spec ..more aligned with the car's suspension.. thus the ride is noticeably smoother more bmw-like when compared to the Bilsteins. Especially for the coupe I think only heavy duty Bilsteins are avail. For example, on the freeway Bilsteins shocks seem to be more active (prob doing their job) than the Sachs ones .. so ur often feeling the shock(s) or suspension moving up/down while freeway driving... rather than feeling it like a bmw should... feeling that downpressure, the better stability/handling, better steering feedback. The downpressure causes that well known bmw roar/sound from the tires .. happens at high speed. All of this just goes away with Bilsteins ..theyre like too good for this car or something. Maybe they're too heavy-duty sport for this already very sport suspension. I agree with James... those unknowing readers that you mentioned are easily persuaded should also not be mislead by bias wholly inaccurate statements. Take a look at the 2011-13 335is.. we're talking "is" here with RWD. There are many many upgrades to these e92s right...?? Well it has the exact same suspension as oh say the 2008 335i coupe ... or 2007 335i sedan..and for the entire e92 lifespan. BMW does this for a reason. most bmw driver's do want that bmw smoothness. There's farrrr less evidence supporting your opinion versus going with the Sachs OEM parts. You're entitled to your own opinion ..of course. However, I would not agree that James is wrong about his statement ..fyi for future readers.

bg

DD: 2011 BMW M3 S65 E93 w/ Akrapovic Titanium Exhaust - Evo. Line w/ staggered Michelin Pilot Super Sports

TRACK: 2008 BMW 335xi E92 N54 Stage 2 MHD/JB4, full bolt-ons w/ Michelin Pilot Sport 3S
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2018, 09:58 PM   #20
ckanderson
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i Xdrive

Quote:
Quote:

Correct. Gas pressure has almost zero to do with the ride of the shock
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2018, 04:55 AM   #21
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I'm on my 4th car with Bilstein HDs and 3rd BMW with them.

Thy are amazing at high speed.

They are terrible around town. I've had HDs on my e90 now for 4 years, and can tell you they ride HARD.

NOT good for a family car. I've been driving all
over the Northeast with them, living in NYC the last 4 years with them, and now Philly. Wife hates my car.

Open road: great and durable
In town: harsh, unforgiving, but durable

Oh yeah, great performance from a shock, but don't kid yourselves. They ride hard. Period.

The 4 cars that had them:

2000 TransAm 6 Speed
1974 2002 Tii
1998 740iL
2009 328i 6 speed (original sport springs)
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:19 PM   #22
JonEQuest
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Convertible 2007 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54sDUSTxi View Post
Quote:

Seems like OEM/Sachs are more aligned with BMW og spec ..more aligned with the car's suspension.. thus the ride is noticeably smoother more bmw-like when compared to the Bilsteins. Especially for the coupe I think only heavy duty Bilsteins are avail. For example, on the freeway Bilsteins shocks seem to be more active (prob doing their job) than the Sachs ones .. so ur often feeling the shock(s) or suspension moving up/down while freeway driving... rather than feeling it like a bmw should... feeling that downpressure, the better stability/handling, better steering feedback. The downpressure causes that well known bmw roar/sound from the tires .. happens at high speed. All of this just goes away with Bilsteins ..theyre like too good for this car or something. Maybe they're too heavy-duty sport for this already very sport suspension. I agree with James... those unknowing readers that you mentioned are easily persuaded should also not be mislead by bias wholly inaccurate statements. Take a look at the 2011-13 335is.. we're talking "is" here with RWD. There are many many upgrades to these e92s right...?? Well it has the exact same suspension as oh say the 2008 335i coupe ... or 2007 335i sedan..and for the entire e92 lifespan. BMW does this for a reason. most bmw driver's do want that bmw smoothness. There's farrrr less evidence supporting your opinion versus going with the Sachs OEM parts. You're entitled to your own opinion ..of course. However, I would not agree that James is wrong about his statement ..fyi for future readers.

bg
So since I am currently shopping for complete OEM style strut/spring/strut mount assy. Can I get any that are for E9X. I was unsure if the E91 was different than my E93.
Appreciate 0