E90Post

Evolution of Speed

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > X5 - vacum hose connection? exhaust leak

01-17-2017, 09:59 PM   #1
captpilly
Rep
Drives: X5D

X5 - vacum hose connection? exhaust leak

Posting this on E90 for more traffic

So I've had a vacuum hose come loose but I can't seem to figure out where it is supposed to go - from the diagram on realoem - it only shows one hose going down to the turbo. I have one hose that goes to and underneath to turbo - would be # 11 to #12 to #13 on the diagram.

X5 is illiterate also

I looped the vacuum hose on the electrical connection for the photo - was just hanging down towards where the first hose goes to the turbo.

However there is a second hose that has come loose - not sure where it should go - pictures attached

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=11_4225

About a month ago I had the car in the shop for exhaust smell in car - they found that the mid-pipe had a decent size gap as it connected to the turbo. A week after it was "fixed" the exhaust smell was back - you can see the build up.

Any ideas?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 10:51 PM   #2
captpilly
Rep

Found an image - I think the connection on the bottom left is the one not connect - what is that part called?

I don't think I have it with the delete?

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 11:42 PM   #3
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

If you are illiterate and depends on how it was done, you may not have a low pressure EGR and it's associated cooler. I'll look up later, but as I recall the LP EGR is pressure converter controlled. It may be from that. Make sure it's capped off anyway. Also, make sure it's not your wastegate connection.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 12:10 AM   #4
captpilly
Rep

Delete

Last edited by captpilly; 01-18-2017 at 12:23 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 02:30 AM   #5
Yozh
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

I've checked, and yes, LP EGR on E70 in EPDW (pressure converter) controlled. Please check and make sure that your wastegate line is connected to the vacuum actuator. Trace this loose line, it should reach to the output on a pressure converter for the LP EGR control. If so, just remove the line and cap off output nipple on the pressure converter. That pressure converter should be on the drivers' side under the intake manifold. If the line comes to the first pressure converter on the passenger side above the turbos, then it's for the wastegate. Strange that techs that dropped the alphabet did not properly seal the vacuum system. Leaks are not good.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2017, 08:57 PM   #6
captpilly
Rep

Thanks Yozh - I traced it back tonight and it goes to the drivers side. I've capped the vacuum line and will remove it when I get time to dig into there more.

The line for the wastegate runs to the passenger side and appears to be in OK shape.

I was talking to the tech today and it appears that for some reason my EGR LP didn't have the black cap for the vacuum hose. He was comparing it to another X5 he just deleted and thought it was strange. He was able to do a side by side comparison as he had the mine and the new one still...

Let's see how the car runs now. Will need to replace all the vacuum lines sooner than later.
Appreciate 0