E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Pre lci to lci rear lights question

09-16-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep
Drives: E90 - MSPORT

Pre lci to lci rear lights question

Hi wasup everyone,
Just had the lci rear conversion done. I know that i need coding done for the fast blink on indicators, but one side the light is slightly dimmer, is that due to incorrect wiring or because it needs coding..?

Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 440i M-Sport Gran Coupe

More likely to be a faulty unit. Ive seen the tail light slightly dimmer than the other issue before. is that what you have?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwak
More likely to be a faulty unit. Ive seen the tail light slightly dimmer than the other issue before. is that what you have?
Yes mate one side is dimmer than the other..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:31 PM   #4
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N9dyxuk View Post
I assume you have the bluey wiring adaptors all connected properly (not that this will cure it).

But yes, like I said I've seen it before. If you bought genuine BMW LCI's then if you show it to your dealer they will exchange it under the 2 year BMW parts warranty. However, if they are arsey they may say that it wasn't fitted by them and they'll wash their hands with it. The chap I did coding for said he took it to the service department and they just told parts to just order a new replacement lamp for him. All good thereafter.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep

No probs only issue is the were purchased from a forum member so not sure if the warranty applies depending on where he purchased them from.. Would there be any other alternative options apart from replacing unit? And where are you based? May need some coding if the local chap cant do it..!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I assume you have the bluey wiring adaptors all connected properly (not that this will cure it).

But yes, like I said I've seen it before. If you bought genuine BMW LCI's then if you show it to your dealer they will exchange it under the 2 year BMW parts warranty. However, if they are arsey they may say that it wasn't fitted by them and they'll wash their hands with it. The chap I did coding for said he took it to the service department and they just told parts to just order a new replacement lamp for him. All good thereafter.
No probs only issue is the were purchased from a forum member so not sure if the warranty applies depending on where he purchased them from.. Would there be any other alternative options apart from replacing unit? And where are you based? May need some coding if the local chap cant do it....
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:42 PM   #7
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No probs only issue is the were purchased from a forum member so not sure if the warranty applies depending on where he purchased them from.. Would there be any other alternative options apart from replacing unit? And where are you based? May need some coding if the local chap cant do it..!
I'm in London pal. Is it the inner light or outer light thats dimmer?

Not really - from what I can see in the link below the LED indicator and tail-light tube is a sealed unit, which would mean you'd need to replace it. The outer is about £180 and the inner is about £120 each if i remember correctly - so quite costly. Best bet is to keep an eye out on fleebay as they often crop up, but you're at the risk of having the same issue with no comeback unfortunately

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=63&fg=20
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I'm in London pal. Is it the inner light or outer light thats dimmer?

Not really - from what I can see in the link below the LED indicator and tail-light tube is a sealed unit, which would mean you'd need to replace it.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...74&hg=63&fg=20
No probs after coding il take a trip to stealers! Its actually the right indicator light whichh is slightly dimmer..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:54 PM   #9
bmwak
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
No probs after coding il take a trip to stealers! Its actually the right indicator light whichh is slightly dimmer..
If its the indicator and only slightly then maybe its not worth worrying about too much?

You'll only really notice it when you have the hazards on If it was the tail-lights then probably more important to have them light up evenly. Might be better to see how it goes and keep an eye out in the meantime for a cheap eBay jobbie
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 01:59 PM   #10
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
If its the indicator and only slightly then maybe its not worth worrying about too much?

You'll only really notice it when you have the hazards on If it was the tail-lights then probably more important to have them light up evenly. Might be better to see how it goes and keep an eye out in the meantime for a cheap eBay jobbie
Yeah probs just leave it, i thought it was the actual main light but just spoke to the guy who has done the conversion for me and he has confirmed it is just the indicator, i havent actually seen it as stuck at work :@
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep

Another thing ive noticed is that the inner lights look very bright as if the rear fog lights are on.. Again is this fixable throught coding?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
N9dyxuk
- Speed Matters -
England
Rep

Having reading other posts i think i have found out the issue, i think the guy who has installed the lights when installing the trunk has used the pre lci wiring set up without changing the wiring order to the lci set up.. Hence why the inner rear fog lights look like there lit up and the horizontal bars dont match.. Am i correct? If so has anyone got pictures of what the correct wiring order should look like..

Thanks in advance..
Appreciate 0