E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Squeaking like scratching a chalkboard

06-30-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
ManoB1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Squeaking like scratching a chalkboard

Hey everyone...i just came back from a 3 hour trip from atlantic city. and after this long trip my car has begun making a noise ive never heard before. It only happens under boost.....revving at a standstill or accelerating without letting it go above 7psi and it doesnt make the noise....when i accelerate hard and boost exceeds 7psi up to 15psi it sounds like someone is scratching a chalkboard and when releasing the pedal it does a final squeak letting air out....it feels like its coming from the diverters....because it feels like the boost is escaping when accelerating hard too. I have injen intake with evolution racewerks charge pipe with forged diverters, and a spearco intercooler. Anyone have any thoughts as to what this is. I dont think its wastegates since the noise doesnt happen when just revving standing still. i also have procede v5 and a 6mt. is it possible one of the diverters doesnt hold boost anymore and its old and russty..or the spring broke??? please help fellas...need some expert advice where to start looking
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #2
Dave W.
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Porsche 951, 1992 Eagle Talon

Is the noise similar to a squeek toy? If so, it could be a boost leak at one of the charge pipe hose clamps.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
ManoB1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W. View Post
Is the noise similar to a squeek toy? If so, it could be a boost leak at one of the charge pipe hose clamps.
No its very loud and sounds like bad brake pads on a warped rotor sccraping. very scary sound and i dont know where to start really...i think im just gonna bring it to the dealer tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2012, 04:32 PM   #4
ManoB1
Enlisted Member
Rep

....A little update...i took apart the injen intake...forged dvs....and er chargepuipe....and the only thing i noticed is the chargepipe looks like its not completely on the throttle body....i tried to push it back in but it wont go any further...after a few runs i have the same problem....it sounds like i have a massive leak....where above 10psi the boost is not holding and sounds like air is escaping along with a metal scraping sound. then when u release the throttle instaed of a woosh from the diverters its a metal scrape release.....i dont know if the diverters are bad or the chargepipe is leaking off the throttlebody....anything else i can do to make the fit more snug from the chargepipe to the throttle body.....do forge diverters break like that??? maybe the springs???

What else could be makinig this obnoxious metal high pitched scraping sound with air?????please anyone
Appreciate 0