E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > JB4 killed my car....

11-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #45
Sean@Alpine
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have never seen this happening before in regards to the JB4, but I have seen clueless shops.

Be careful where you take your cars!
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 07:39 PM   #46
dsm25psi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I, IS300, E30

where in NC are you?
evo's sold
335i sold
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 09:25 PM   #47
RockChalkKU
Chump
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 LBB M2/'18 X3 M40i/'16 X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsm25psi View Post
where in NC are you?
Goldsboro
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:17 PM   #48
dsm25psi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335I, IS300, E30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalkKU View Post
Goldsboro
you might have to bring the car down to charlotte for better help
evo's sold
335i sold
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2012, 10:23 PM   #49
Lankster
Sigma Alpha Epsilon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by northmiler89 View Post
lol your wrong.

what year is your car though?

jb4 and proceed isnt the usual software "shops" work with.. it manipulates the ecu signals, it does not rewrite them.. check the fuse in there too, that is something know to happen-- $ says thats what it is unless you have an 07 in which case it maybe part of that failed diode tsb -- which happened to my car
I have an '07 and will be getting JB4 soon. Can you provide some insight on this Diode failure? Search results came back a little dense to pick apart
      11-13-2012, 10:44 PM   #50
n54gte
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: prius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lankster View Post
I have an '07 and will be getting JB4 soon. Can you provide some insight on this Diode failure? Search results came back a little dense to pick apart
Don't worry about it. I got an 07 too and been tuned for awhile
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 02:07 AM   #51
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by nailer335 View Post
RoadchalkKU,

Imagine that you owned a business and went above and beyond to help your largely technically inept customer base use your product. Imagine that the product that this hypothetical business you're running isn't proven to cause failure of any kind and has been proven on thousands of applications for anywhere from thousands to tens of thousands of miles on each of those thousands of applications. Despite all of this, also imagine that this business' marketing is highly dependent on the Internet. Yes, you're right. That can be unfortunate, because unfortunately everyone has opinions nowadays and can voice them publicly, in such a way that they actually influence sheeple who know as little about your hypothetical business' product, its application and effects on the system to which it applies, etc as the person who has the freedom to post ignorantly about your hypothetical business online. I agree, reading and learning will always be better than posting, and people who have un(der)qualified opinions should be ghost on Internet space.

Lesson #1: Change the title of your post
Lesson #2: Read/learn as much as you can and apply critical thinking equal to the consequences of the situation you're in and creating before posting online to avoid this in the future.

Ok, we're going to continue on the hypothetical examples here. Let's say that you owned a business that performed labor on machines in ways that a VAST majority of your customer base didn't understand any better than hieroglyphics. One day, someone with one of the generally perceived "nicer" or more complicated and technical machines comes in and asks for your help. He has made changes to the machine. He does not present himself as someone who understands the machine as a whole, nor does he appear to be the proactive or curious type. Since you observe that this person appears to have the right combination of money, general liking for the "costly" (subjective) machine, enough so to modify it from its original state, AND they aren't proactive, you decide to take advantage of their ignorance by blaming a technical issue on an easy target that you know this customer will eat up. You can run this person up and down and give them a reason they'll believe. You make more money doing so and this person never knows any better, they'll believe whatever you tell them. You can now plan a nice vacation.

Lesson #3: be proactive. First, if you modify the ECU, make sure that you have a way to diagnose problems. Your best choice is a BT cable. Some "tuners" have means whereby customers can read codes too. To me, a netbook, BT cable, and a JB3/4 or proceed are a team and any of the three independently would be considered incomplete.
Lesson #4: recognize that a shop will make as much money as it can. Generally speaking, people who care about money will make as much of it as possible. Do yourself a favor and take your car to another shop for a second opinion. Maybe you can look on the local forums, posting (better yet, searching first to see if your question has been asked before in the past six years) a request for a reference to a reputable shop from someone who has been taking their JB/PROcede tuned 335i to for service/diagnosis/etc

Just a few quick thoughts, hopefully this helps and hopefully you see the lessons to be learned from them and apply them like someone with decency would. I think I spelled everything right, let me know if I didn't and I'll correct myself. Good luck with your car, hopefully you straighten things out.
^ VERY WELL PUT Graduating from the University of Texas didn't teach me how to spell as properly as the incredibly intelligent OP haha.

I appreciate you taking the time to actually respond properly since I was in a hurry when I wrote my post lol. Very well put and hopefully the OP can understand and learn exactly why such a thread is as misleading as the shop he took his car to. But def props to the shop for convincing the OP that they know EVERYTHING about the N54's!! It must be a shop like NTB and you know NTB knows all there is to know about these N54's haha let me tell ya
OP take your car is a shop that is familiar with BMW's at the least...Try and find a shop that is more of a "performance based shop"
[SIZE="2"]Crimson Red E92 335i M-sport 6-speed with MHD custom stage 2+ flash only , 40% E85/93 mix,+ HRE P40S wheels, KW Clubsport, M3 sways,+BMW performance CF Mirrors, BMW Performance CF deck lid spoiler,+ CF interior trim, p3 vent boost gauge,+ LUX angel eyes (11.73@124mph on street tires)
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #52
BmwECY
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
There are multiple DME failures on the forum. My personal opinion is that yes, piggybacks play a role in DME failures. I would like to see one person with DME failure who is not running a piggyback or has not ran it at some point in time. There are so many things that can happen: impedance mismatch (leading to high current through some of the output transistors), short circuits, statical electricity, etc.
i agree there could be a loose relationship between DME failures and piggyback usage. on the other hand, there are literally tens of thousands of people that have used JB3, JB4, vishnu, etc. with no issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #53
Leroi
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i TiAg MT

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [9.00]
FWIW, a quick search revealed COBB(Roy Cormier) and GIAC (sleepergm) failures also
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:44 AM   #54
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i f30 330i g20 m340i

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boostaholic786 View Post
^ VERY WELL PUT Graduating from the University of Texas didn't teach me how to spell as properly as the incredibly intelligent OP haha.

I appreciate you taking the time to actually respond properly since I was in a hurry when I wrote my post lol. Very well put and hopefully the OP can understand and learn exactly why such a thread is as misleading as the shop he took his car to. But def props to the shop for convincing the OP that they know EVERYTHING about the N54's!! It must be a shop like NTB and you know NTB knows all there is to know about these N54's haha let me tell ya
OP take your car is a shop that is familiar with BMW's at the least...Try and find a shop that is more of a "performance based shop"

Contrary to the norm (based on a few trite responses) that really doesn't take much time at all at a computer. Could be a 'tirely different "story" if you're using the mobile I suppose. However, going beyond plus ones, posts void of specificity and making sure that your writing indicates that English isn't your second or third language makes you pompous, so you might want to be cool like everyone else who's been following n54 forums for a few months now and keep your comments short and overly simple. Unless you'd like to know which intake or FMIC gives you the most horse powers. Uma vergonha
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #55
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BmwECY View Post
i agree there could be a loose relationship between DME failures and piggyback usage. on the other hand, there are literally tens of thousands of people that have used JB3, JB4, vishnu, etc. with no issues.
Multiply however many thousands of cars to our best estimate run piggy backs by however many tens of thousands of miles each one has run on its piggy back. To me, there are too many other factors involved in these far and few between cases to even have the confidence to imply (beyond a shop's diagnosis) that piggy backs directly cause or even correlate with DME failure.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 01:41 AM   #56
AK 335i
Major
Rep
Drives: black 335i E90

Quote:
Contrary to the norm (based on a few trite responses) that really doesn't take much time at all at a computer. Could be a 'tirely different "story" if you're using the mobile I suppose. However, going beyond plus ones, posts void of specificity and making sure that your writing indicates that English isn't your second or third language makes you pompous, so you might want to be cool like everyone else who's been following n54 forums for a few months now and keep your comments short and overly simple. Unless you'd like to know which intake or FMIC gives you the most horse powers. Uma vergonha
Come on Nailer, that pompous joke was in our younger years

FWIW my punctuation is not always up to par as I post from the old mobile. I get worked up enough with some of the threads/posts on here, let alone fighting with Siri.
      11-15-2012, 04:56 PM   #57
nailer335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
2022 m340i  [0.00]
2017 330i xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smi1gj
Quote:
Come on Nailer, that pompous joke was in our younger years

FWIW my punctuation is not always up to par as I post from the old mobile. I get worked up enough with some of the threads/posts on here, let alone fighting with Siri.
Well as long as we've worked out those rough edges

Dude... As hard as you try, drama catches you and sucks you in sometimes here lol. You can't help it, you try to put it off or ignore it... But sometimes you just can't win haha

I wish other forums had mobile too. (Not to take away from e90post for you moderators possibly reading and getting hurt feelings at my infidelity...)
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2012, 07:45 PM   #58
srSheepdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i - Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockChalkKU View Post
Goldsboro
For the rest of us NC folks, which shop did you go to that claimed that your car had been chipped?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 08:36 AM   #59
alexchen86
Too Many Hobbies!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i Sportline AW

My JB4 Threw Codes Under 1 Year

HA.....for those of you with the E model 3 series I envy you.

I ran stage 1 jb4 no issues for about 4-5 months. Wanted more power and a better exhaust so got an MPE and installed the stage 2 jb4.

No issues again for almost a year and now everything's gone to crap because from what tuner shops, 3 different dealers, 2 different SA's. all reading the codes on the diagnostic indicate the same 3 codes regarding failure to charge and no readings. A master BMW technician who opened his own shop with experience working on several JB4 tuned BMW's agree many people install incorrectly.

But he said my wiring was done exactly by the book and I must have had a faulty JB4 gone bad after almost a year. The module was never wet and was super clean when removed. A charge pressure sensor may have shorted out due to the JB4 Stage 2 module having a faulty ground sensor.

OR the DME is damaged from the short it's a 50/50 chance either way.

So in summary it has happened to my 2013 F30 335i N55 18,000 miles stock car pretty much with just the MPE.

Why would all these tuners in their fine print always say race track only or not liable for any damages yada yada yada....it's to cover their own ass if idiots can't follow instructions. But in the rare instance there STILL will always be a chance of a short damaging something related to your car DME or not.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 11:53 AM   #60
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
HA.....for those of you with the E model 3 series I envy you.

I ran stage 1 jb4 no issues for about 4-5 months. Wanted more power and a better exhaust so got an MPE and installed the stage 2 jb4.

No issues again for almost a year and now everything's gone to crap because from what tuner shops, 3 different dealers, 2 different SA's. all reading the codes on the diagnostic indicate the same 3 codes regarding failure to charge and no readings. A master BMW technician who opened his own shop with experience working on several JB4 tuned BMW's agree many people install incorrectly.

But he said my wiring was done exactly by the book and I must have had a faulty JB4 gone bad after almost a year. The module was never wet and was super clean when removed. A charge pressure sensor may have shorted out due to the JB4 Stage 2 module having a faulty ground sensor.

OR the DME is damaged from the short it's a 50/50 chance either way.

So in summary it has happened to my 2013 F30 335i N55 18,000 miles stock car pretty much with just the MPE.

Why would all these tuners in their fine print always say race track only or not liable for any damages yada yada yada....it's to cover their own ass if idiots can't follow instructions. But in the rare instance there STILL will always be a chance of a short damaging something related to your car DME or not.
The only way to fry it other than install wiring is if you let the BMS USB cable touch against a 12v source like the battery rail. BMS added directions for bypassing the TMAP sensor ground to their F30 install guide if you manage to fry yours. Check it out.

These people replacing ECUs don't need to replace them they just need to do the free ground bypass shown in the guide if that happens.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2014, 12:37 PM   #61
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
That is a known DME transistor problem, nothing to do with tuning. Someone posted a DIY fix for it here. BMW will also cover it under warranty on certain models. You should really change the subject of this thread as it's VERY misleading.

Mike
+1

I have repaired 3 07 DME's in the past 4 years and only one of them was running a piggy... This is a known issue and I believe there are numerous posts on how to repair it (DIY), here is part of the TSB-

SITUATION
Vehicle runs poorly, misfires, and may not start. One of the following fault codes, or the combination of the codes, is stored in the DME: 30BA , 30BB or 2ACC. Subsequent fault codes like 29CC, 29CD, 29CE, 29CF or 2ACB may be stored in the DME as well. Service Engine Soon Light may be illuminated.

CAUSE
Defective diode in DME.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis and only if the vehicle is in the effected production range, replace the DME and reprogram/recode the complete vehicle.

WARRANTY INFORMATION
Covered under the terms of the BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

Please refer to the latest KSD for all applicable labor operations and allowances. If the appropriate labor operation is not contained in KSD, then a work time labor operation should be used.

Defect Code
12 71 00 15 00

If you are not comfortable soldering just take it to a electronics or TV repair shop and they should be able to handle the job with ease. On a side note I noticed that on the few cars I have repair that have this "issue" they all seem to have shorted out coils that co-inside with the damaged mosfets... Good luck!
      08-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #62
j1gilles
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by n54gte View Post
Don't worry about it. I got an 07 too and been tuned for awhile
read the reply I just put up... I'm sure you will be just fine, this issue with the 07's seems to be rare.
      08-03-2014, 08:25 AM   #63
09BMW335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

Garage List
If your DME is in Passive mode or recover mode you will need to wipe and reinstall the DME software. You will need to go to a BMW shop or find someone on the boards to help you with this. This process is at least a 4 hour process
Trust me I have had to do. because my computer rest itself in the middle of a software upgrade.
This is one reason when you ever do a hex or dme upgrade is to put always have a battery charger and to have the JB4 set to 00
09 335i Sport --MHD (Tune by Wedge )--Inlet System by Trueform Technologies --Tial BOV--Macht Schnell Catless Downpipes--AMS FMIC--Walbro 455 LPFP--HPF Gen2 Exhaust--SPEC Stage 3+ clutch / billet steel flywheel--
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 12:04 PM   #64
Wescuddles
Captain
Rep
Drives: bsm 135i

hai gize on tha flip flop doe i gots dis foo dat finna race me in his cobalt ss wit 600whp but i be runnin at least 601whp so i shuld def take him onda street ami cowrekt?//11!1

ps to da OP nig you strate trippin cum at me i dare ya talkin sheet lyke dat bout da jaybeefor sheeeeeeeeeeeeet finna get yoself murked playa
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 12:22 PM   #65
Seymour Boost
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wescuddles View Post
hai gize on tha flip flop doe i gots dis foo dat finna race me in his cobalt ss wit 600whp but i be runnin at least 601whp so i shuld def take him onda street ami cowrekt?//11!1

ps to da OP nig you strate trippin cum at me i dare ya talkin sheet lyke dat bout da jaybeefor sheeeeeeeeeeeeet finna get yoself murked playa
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2014, 12:38 PM   #66
stashtrey
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335xi TiAg

Garage List
Doh! 2011 thread.

Last edited by stashtrey; 08-03-2014 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0