E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Super easy way to remove front interior light cluster for LED or hard wiring detector

01-03-2013, 01:27 PM   #1
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Super easy way to remove front interior light cluster for LED or hard wiring detector

This is such an easier way and works for so many different reasons to remove front center interior light cluster. That I felt it was worthy of it's own thread. Such as hard wiring a radar detector, replacing bulbs with LED's or just plain manual access to sunroof.

The first thing I did was bend a strong nail. I accidentally bent it too much on one end. The smaller end works best. However the bend on the larger end helped for pulling.

I then removed the frosted plastic and the map light lens. This picture shows the metal clip visible through a hole in the back of the map light.

I then fished the small end of the bent nail behind the silver clip and pulled back towards rear of car. Which in less than thirty seconds releases the clip.

I tried many of the other methods using my fat fingers along the front windshield didn't work for me. Neither did a screwdriver butter knife, small screwdriver etc (please note the putty knife and brand new screwdriver I tried using both marred the interior.) Also I just grabbed the first nail a thinner one would have worked even better. Or even better if you have one of those screwdrivers with a bent hook tip... I think they are technically a radiator hose remover. They always come with the uber cheap gas station dollar tool bin set. I finally found a use for that tool...lol
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 12:34 AM   #2
Flat4Turbo
Private
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

I had a hell of a time releasing the clip the holds in the front dome light/map lights assembly too until my friend helping me recommended unscrewing the sun visor holders.

This allows the headliner to drop down MUCH more and allowed even my fat hands to easily reach the front of the front dome light/map lights assembly to unclip for easy removal.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2013, 02:03 PM   #3
4EST
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 320d LCI

nice trick. I used the same procedure as Flat4Turbo described, works best
But the bent nail seems to be faster, so
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport June 2009

Crashoverride.... you are my saviour, just been trying for 2 hours to get that bloody front light dome out without success, tried the screwdriver, spatula etc and all I got was a cut hand...!
I looked at it and wondered about trying to get to the clip through the light but of course it's hard to see until you get the damn thing out, so your pics show me it can be done.
So I've taken an old wire coat hanger, cut it about 6 inches long, bent hook at one end and loop at the other to grip onto.. I haven't tried it yet but damn I know it's gonna work.. so many thanks.

How many people on here have struggled with this... ? easy now, I'll let you know how it works.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #5
charmin
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320i M-Sport June 2009

OK, tried the coat-hanger, small 1/4" bend at one end and loop at the other to grab onto... took me about three mins to get the light housing out... perfect.

Don't make the bent bit any bigger than 1/4" as it won't fit through the gap in the light, one side at a time, used the plastic spatula thing to hold the first side in place to stop it popping back in then did the other side clip. The real annoying thing is the light goes back in just so easy...
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:48 PM   #6
crashoverride
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: na

Awesome I'm so glad others could take advantage of this. It truly is frustrating beyond belief and I feel this is such easy solution to a such a hard problem.

It confuses me that you're supposed to actually get in that area to manually close sunroof... usually in a rainstorm. I mean only a consumer would manually close... yet there is no easy just pull this release or such to get in there.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
modobrew
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d M Sport

I know this thread is old, but thank you for this. i was able to change all of my bulbs with no issues except one map light. This allowed me to get the fixture lowered so I could access the bulb from above. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Wondering if those hundreds of allen keys i have in my tool box could be a good alternative for the "nail"?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 12:46 AM   #9
Reckless335
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 BSM 335i e92

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
How do you remove the map light lens? I can't seem to get it off. Anyone provide a picture of how to get it off? Where do I pry?
      12-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by latino1ny View Post
How do you remove the map light lens? I can't seem to get it off. Anyone provide a picture of how to get it off? Where do I pry?
I got a plastic, non marring pry tool kit for about $6. You can get something similar at Harbor Freight or AAP.

The side closest the windshield or closest the sunroof is actually flat rather than rounded a bit (hard to notice at first). You can use your tools to wedge, wiggle, pry it off. Once you got that off... I found it easier to remover the sun visor clip nearest to the FZD. Once the screw and clips r removed... U can easily reach behind the sun visor to press the metal tabs so the FZD pops down.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:56 AM   #11
JLIT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
I got a plastic, non marring pry tool kit for about $6. You can get something similar at Harbor Freight or AAP.

The side closest the windshield or closest the sunroof is actually flat rather than rounded a bit (hard to notice at first). You can use your tools to wedge, wiggle, pry it off. Once you got that off... I found it easier to remover the sun visor clip nearest to the FZD. Once the screw and clips r removed... U can easily reach behind the sun visor to press the metal tabs so the FZD pops down.
This saved my ass after battling in the past, and blood was literally shed. Forever going to use this.
18x8.5 et35 VMR 803, Stoptech Trophy Series Front BBK, M4 LCA,KW V2, Seibon CF Hood, APR Gtc250, Agency harness bar, Corbeau A4 Raving Seats and 4pt Harnesses, P3 Display, XHP Stage 3, PR Coils -TTFS-XDI35 hpfp ~CaryJordan Tune Full E85~aFE Momentum GT, Stage 2.5 Walbro 535 LPFP, MPerfExhaust, Quad CF Sleeve Tips, custom quad cf rear diffuser, M2 Style Front bumper with lip. Avery Dark Grey Gloss Vinyl
Appreciate 0