E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > BMW Performance Software?

12-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #1
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive M-sport

BMW Performance Software?

So I'm a new owner of a '11 335i xDrive. I'm coming from a very sexy and modded G37S and I've decided to take a chance with the beloved Bimmer since I got a good deal for what it is.

I've learned that BMW itself sells a lot of performance upgrades through dealerships for the car, and that news is amazing to me. A guy at my local place told me that there's a software ECU upgrade that gives you 20/32 gains with power/torque. I'm guessing that is roughly what they do with the 335is models.

My question is: Can I buy the upgrade and run it on its own without upgrading any physical parts or do I also need to buy the bigger intercooler and an extra fan for it not to overheat? The parts guy was kind of a dikk and didn't give me a definite answer. Please help me. Has anyone done this before? Will I run into any problems if I get the upgrade? Mine car comes with the M-sport package, in case that makes a difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 07:03 PM   #2
aajami
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Space Gray '09 E92 M3

Yes, you can buy the Stage I Power Performance Kit that doesn't require the hardware bits from the Stage II from your dealership.
Mods: M Performance exhaust | ZCP retrofit | Euro airbox | GTS DCT flash | JPN 240 ECU flash | Euro LCI taillights | CRT lip | OEM alarm retrofit | Space Gray bumper plugs | BMW Performance: Mk. II spoiler / Mk. II non-electronic steering wheel / mirror caps / front grilles / side gills / intake louvers / emblem
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #3
CsarsGhost
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Yes you can do just the Performance Power Kit software update by itself. If requires you have the oil cooler which is part of the m sport. I recently had it installed on my 11 E90 335. Not exactly life altering difference but not bad for under 700 and no warranty issues.

There is tons of info and reviews on the forum.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
E30M3Driver
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C, 97 M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.00]
1989 BMW M3  [8.20]
Yes you can do this. The power and torque ratings you quote are for an automatic, the manual is 20/17. It is not quite the same specs as the IS - the IS adds a 7 sec overboost feature for short bursts of greater torque. I have this software and the BMW Performance Exhaust and the combo is super nice - really what BMW should deliver stock. Smooth power delivery and nice sounds.

Your car sounds nice, good luck. Investigate the BMW performance accessories but also know that you can get greater value with after market in terms of HP/$ spent. The BMW stuff is nicely done and is backed by BMW.

Performance Center Delivery, June 21, 2013: 2013 E92 335is | Le Mans Blue | Gray Leather with Black | 6MT | 19" Style 313's | Michelin Pilot Super Sports | BMW Carbon Fiber Rear Spoiler |
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:01 PM   #5
Zebra99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335is E93

Garage List
I'm pretty new to the forums, but I know a lil something from what I learned from here.

The stage 1 performance tune is very basic and is really only a small boost increase of 3-4lbs. Very safe and warrantied by BMW anyways. You should also not worry about cooling because the stock FMIC is just fine up to about 400hp when I see guys start to upgrade to stage II and such.

IMHO, I would rather spend my money on a flash tune. You'll easily put down 3x the power and it'll be a lot more fun!!
These engines are pretty tough so I wouldn't be too concerned.
It also depends on what you're looking for. If youre worried about warranty I'd stick to a COBB as you can flash back to stock. (it's plug and play) and dealer will never know you had it.

If you have more specific questions I could possibly answer you more clearly. Goodluck
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #6
SD335M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i M, E90 LeMans Blue.

Garage List
2011 e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebra99 View Post
It also depends on what you're looking for. If youre worried about warranty I'd stick to a COBB as you can flash back to stock. (it's plug and play) and dealer will never know you had it.
COBB would be nice since its a fast flash tune. Unfortunately it's only for the N54. OP has a 2011 that's the year N55 came out.

I have the PPK1 and I really enjoy it. It's no Procede or JB but it does give me piece of mind on warranty.
I'm waiting for COBB to have the flash for our N55's but I'm sure the F80 will be out by then and I'll take the plunge. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thank you guys for the help! That's exactly what I was looking for. Much appreciated! Very glad to hear that the M-sport has the Oil Cooler; they should come on all trims that way!

I know there's tons of aftermarket flashes for the 335i's--my G37S was also tuned--but the reason I wanna get the BMW one is because the warranty stays unaltered and it'll be the safest way to go, which is exactly what I'm looking for. The 335i is already completely fast enough for me, so this little bit will do it perfectly. I'm also thinking of putting on an exhaust in the future, but just for the sound. My G had a Fast Intentions and it was a beast, but a bit loud. The 3 seems to be more classy, so I don't want it too loud.

Thanks again for your inputs!
      06-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #8
Soliditude
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have now gotten and installed this software on my car. A link to the review:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=687141