E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Installed Rob Beck turbos - misfiring (with Vishnu)

10-23-2012, 03:13 PM   #45
edo
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Thanks, I'll PM him.

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:21 PM   #46
edo
Mexico
Rep

Ok, so I did a lot of reading, read most of the posts of dzenno and seems I'm having the same problems he used to have (misfiring up top of the upgraded turbo during WOTs).

At first he started looking into hardware problems, changed most of the parts that possibly caused misfires. Then, with no good luck, he decided to go with Cobb AP and to turn of misfire detection as his thoughts were:
Quote:
the "ACTUAL" issue that'd happen up top is that the DME would cut fuel to all cylinders...it was an engine wide fuel system shutdown
(link to the post)
Quote:
No, that still remains but I asked Cobb to turn off misfire detection and happily did...the car doesn't "actually" misfire, its a diagnostic that triggers a fuel cut which in tern triggers a misfire...similar to fuel cuts that happen sometimes when you don't turn off traction control and try to dyno your car and the dme sees the rear wheels turning but not the front and freaks out
(link to the post)
Quote:
guess that comment was quite a bit misleading..what I meant to say is that the crank speed is not the sole reason for the DME to trigger a misfire...if you look around online, even in the E39 and E46 community, in a few cases where some guys were pushing considerably higher HP numbers it turned out that the DME would misfire for odd reasons in higher gears/higher torque than lower gears same torque, which is similar to my situation...it boiles down to the DME having not just one but many monitors that play into the whole misfire detection equation...that's what I'm working on with Cobb so that hopefully one day I won't have to turn off misfire detection entirely but just tune the stock thresholds to better reflect the new running environment better...really in the end, turning it off isn't an issue at all...the only thing the DME does when it senses misfires is shut down fuel injectors to protect the cats and environment from rich mixtures...i like the environment but I don't have cats to protect so no harm turning it off...
(link to the post)

And then BAM:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dzenno View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tscdennab View Post
OP,

Can you give a straight answer on whether the correct injector coding completely solved your misfire problems ?
Yes
(link to the post)

Can someone explain what injector coding is?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:28 PM   #47
cn555ic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Read this

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645844
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #48
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Here is the video Vasillov made

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:43 PM   #49
edo
Mexico
Rep

Thanks, I already found the vid and thread an hour ago But I still don't get it...

What are the reasons of bad coding? How do I know if my infectors are coded improperly? Do I have to do it myself or can I just tell bmw ealership to check if the injectors are coded properly?

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:45 PM   #50
cn555ic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo View Post
Thanks, I already found the vid and thread an hour ago But I still don't get it...

What are the reasons of bad coding? How do I know if my infectors are coded improperly? Do I have to do it myself or can I just tell bmw ealership to check if the injectors are coded properly?
only way is to physically check the numbers on the injectors themselves by taking off the engine cover and writing down injectors from 1-6 and then use INPA to compare the numbers to see if they match the injectors numbers stamped on the injector...If it doesnt match then you can code it in with INPA...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:50 PM   #51
edo
Mexico
Rep

Thanks a lot!

Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:53 PM   #52
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Thank you for making this thread
As I was thinking of heading in the same direction
Now I know I will do the Cobb tune + probably vargas turbos
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #53
edo
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
As I was thinking of heading in the same direction
Well, I am trying to head towards sorting out the reason of the misfires ))
And I wish I didn't have to chose the Cobb + PROcede solution.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 05:23 AM   #54
edo
Mexico
Rep

Talked to a friend of mine who works at bmw dealership. Explained the situation. I'm taking my car to the dealership for injector coding check today or tomorrow.
He aslo had a few other ideas regarding the problem, they will check.
They will also try to swap the injectors in places to see if it wasn't injectors fault itself.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #55
rismo
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 335

I suspect injectors and or coils. Did not read the whole thread so if you have replaced your coils I would definitly check your injectors.

Have been running for more then 30.000km with RB's and Rev 2.5. No software related missfires like many others. Offcourse an combination of factors could cause this but in many cases: plugs, coils and injector related.

I remember that you also had 29cc code, this could be LPFP related.
BMW 335 E92 09 - Full options - DKG - MHD by Buraq - RB Next Gen - RB Inlets/Outlet - Forge Diverter Valves - AR Catless DP - Afe Intake - Helix IC - FuelIT Stage 2 LPFP - Ar Oil Cooler - PPK Water Cooler - M3 Suspension - JRZ RS1 Shocks - Eibach Pro Springs - Drexler LSD - BMW IS Exhaust - Carbon Endurance Brake Pads - Stainless Steel Brake Lines - M101 Wheels - Michelin PS2 - M-Tech Body - M-Strutbar
BMW M550i G30 2019 - BM3
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:55 AM   #56
cstavaru
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i M Sport Sedan 6MT

Quote:

Injector coding wasn't the cause for dzenno's misfires; he had to take the engine apart and found some problems about the head with the cam bearing ledges and some broken washer, but however he did not put the engine back together until now.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 10:00 AM   #57
marv85
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru View Post
Injector coding wasn't the cause for dzenno's misfires; he had to take the engine apart and found some problems about the head with the cam bearing ledges and some broken washer, but however he did not put the engine back together until now.
+1
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #58
edo
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstavaru

Then why did he write that injector coding had completely solved the misfiring problem?

My engine is quite new, I did ~ 5k miles with it.

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:46 AM   #59
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Edo- before getting too deep into anything, I would suggest updating to a rev2.5 as it has updated ignition circuitry that may solve (or at least reduce the frequency) of your high boost misfire issue. You will also be able to run the aggressive maps which are unquestionably better than the old maps you are running now. If the problem still persists, then the cause is likely a hardware issue as others are suggesting.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 11:57 AM   #60
edo
Mexico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
Edo- before getting too deep into anything, I would suggest updating to a rev2.5 as it has updated ignition circuitry that may solve (or at least reduce the frequency) of your high boost misfire issue. You will also be able to run the aggressive maps which are unquestionably better than the old maps you are running now. If the problem still persists, then the cause is likely a hardware issue as others are suggesting.
Shiv, I do want to upgrade. A friend of mine is in the US now and could bring Rev2.5 here. But noone is responding, I wrote ar least 5 e-mails during last 3 days. My friend is leaving in a few days...

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #61
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

Quote:
I wrote ar least 5 e-mails during last 3 days. My friend is leaving in a few days...
They are pretty busy but I've been very successful in getting in touch with them over the phone. After 9 am PST.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #62
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Quote:
Shiv, I do want to upgrade. A friend of mine is in the US now and could bring Rev2.5 here. But noone is responding, I wrote ar least 5 e-mails during last 3 days. My friend is leaving in a few days...
I edo-- for time sensitive matters, it's often better to just call us up if possible. I was in Canada for a contract job all last week so I'm still catching up on emails. I just saw yours this morning (which is why i posted in this thread). I forwarded it to the sales@vishnutuning.com since they typically respond to emails within the same day (if not a matter of hours).

Shiv
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 01:11 PM   #63
edo
Mexico
Rep

Thank you, Robert contacted me already.
Next time I'll call, but there's 10 hour time difference...

Appreciate 0
      10-24-2012, 09:40 PM   #64
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
I edo-- for time sensitive matters, it's often better to just call us up if possible. I was in Canada for a contract job all last week so I'm still catching up on emails. I just saw yours this morning (which is why i posted in this thread). I forwarded it to the sales@vishnutuning.com since they typically respond to emails within the same day (if not a matter of hours).

Shiv
Never knew you were a hitman! Where in Canada were you? Ever venture in Montreal?
      10-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #65
edo
Mexico
Rep

Took my car to bmw dealership today. They checked injector coding - everything was fine. I asked them to swap injectors 5, 6 with 1, 2.
Will see if the misfires occur in same cylinders as before.
I will receive my Rev2.5 next week. Hope it solves the problem...

Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #66
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

best of luck! chasing down issues is no fun, when you figure them out though its quite glorious