E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Peugeot 208 Gti

05-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #1
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Peugeot 208 Gti

So, I popped in to a Pug dealer on my way home from work to have a look at the new 208 Gti....ended up taking it for a test drive.

Was quite a hoot to be honest - apparently it is the same engine as the mini cooper S. Steering a bit light but loads of acceleration and a nice noise. Defo a 'put a smile on your face' kind of car. The interior is funky too with a leather covered dash and a lovely small flat bottomed steering wheel. Very decent kit as standard too.

It might be a more fun way to pass my daily commute and it felt sufficiently refined to be fine on the motorway sections of my journey.
      05-22-2013, 02:44 PM   #2
peterg1965
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 335d M Sport, F15 X5 40d

I think I would be more inclined to the Fiesta ST. Not sure how they compare in terms of price/features.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #3
Snooky
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterg1965 View Post
I think I would be more inclined to the Fiesta ST. Not sure how they compare in terms of price/features.
The various reviews and group tests would support that view, Peter. I am only toying with the idea of changing tbh.

I'm going to have a look at the ST2 but you may or may not recall, I had a bad experience with a Fiesta (Zetec S) and the interior was not a very nice place to sit. The Pug is much nicer inside for sure. The Fiesta looks good externally and is about £1,000 cheaper, albeit the 208 has more kit as standard.

None of the Ford dealers near me seem to have one to look at just yet though.
      05-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #4
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

To be honest, I wouldn't give a flying caboodle what the road test reports say (hell, I bought an M6 didn't I!)....I'd have the pretty Pug because it's not a Fiesta.

It will always be rarer, because Peugeot will never sell as many of them as Ford doe Fiesta's (or indeed, as many as they sold 206's and 207's as I don't think the general populous has it for Peugeot anymore, mores the pity).

The Ford may well be that technically bit better in handling terms, but are you really going to notice it on the daily drive. And if it's worth anything, when we had the Citroen DS3, I had to rent a Fiesta for the day for something and, despite it being of Zetec S spec, I thought how unrefined and basic it felt compared to the Citroen. I imagine the 208 is even better than the DS3 given it's a few years newer.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
Snooky
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
To be honest, I wouldn't give a flying caboodle what the road test reports say (hell, I bought an M6 didn't I!)....I'd have the pretty Pug because it's not a Fiesta.

It will always be rarer, because Peugeot will never sell as many of them as Ford doe Fiesta's (or indeed, as many as they sold 206's and 207's as I don't think the general populous has it for Peugeot anymore, mores the pity).

The Ford may well be that technically bit better in handling terms, but are you really going to notice it on the daily drive. And if it's worth anything, when we had the Citroen DS3, I had to rent a Fiesta for the day for something and, despite it being of Zetec S spec, I thought how unrefined and basic it felt compared to the Citroen. I imagine the 208 is even better than the DS3 given it's a few years newer.
Apparently the 208 is quite similar to drive to the DS3, Andrew.

Just having a wee think about changing and decided to look at cheaper 'fun' cars. We're getting our new Q5 next month so I don't want to have too much outlay on a second car.

We'll see!
      05-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #6
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

They certainly look cheap to run.... 47 mpg and £125 a year tax.
Not bad for 197bhp.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #7
gaza01
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I'm quite liking the new clio...but to be fair peugot have really up their game in styling...in fact all the french car have over the last 2 years or so...look at citroen?!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 05:16 AM   #8
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Citroen have done well. I would like to think Peugeot can turn it around. The RCZ is a nice car and I would probably pick on over a TT. The 208 seems to be miles better than both the 206 and the 207. Peugeot were shooting for the Clio with it, not sure they bettered it but are not far off equaling it.

The trouble with any 20x Peugeot is that they always get compared to the 205. Peugeot do themselves no favours by wheeling one out with every launch and claiming they have done it again. The press want to judge the car on it's own merits but Peugeot won't let them.

The 208 is a great little hot hatch (I might be slightly biased). The French always have and still do this type of car better than anyone else in my opinion. I wouldn't touch a Fiesta and I've always had an irrational hatred of new minis. I don't think you are allowed one unless you are a woman or a member of One Direction.