E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valet parking lost my only key

06-29-2013, 12:23 PM   #1
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F32 428i M-Sport

Unhappy Valet parking lost my only key

Hello, this is a very sad moment for me, yesterday the valet parking from a bar lost the only key I have, my car is a BMW e93 335i, I want to know if there is a "easy" way to create another key for my car, I know I have to go to a BMW dealer and ask for a new key from the factory, but that process takes like 20 days or something like that here in Mexico, so bottom line I can't move my car in all that time, the only good news is that the car is well parked in a safe parking lot.

I hope you can give me some light here so I can at least be 100% sure there is no other way around.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
GarySL
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 Carrera 4S

Sorry to hear, but bottom line, the far easiest way is to have the valet cough up the key. How does a valet lose a key? Way to lose a job I guess. g/l
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:04 PM   #3
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

WTF!? I would be furious. I guess just talk to the guy in charge, they should cover a rental car for you as well as the cost of the key, and all expenses related to it. Good luck man!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #4
Richurd
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too slow.

I think the valet kept the key and may try to steal the car. Just saying cause you said Mexico
      06-29-2013, 01:19 PM   #5
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richurd View Post
I think the valet kept the key and may try to steal the car. Just saying cause you said Mexico
I have remotely blocked the engine of the car (I have a GSM GPS tracker device that can also shutdown the engine), even if they "find" the key and try to start the engine it won't work, so I'm not worry about that.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:20 PM   #6
Mpy18
Captain
Rep
Drives: '06 325 XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by innovaciones View Post
I have remotely blocked the engine of the car (I have a GSM GPS tracker device that can also shutdown the engine), even if they "find" the key and try to start the engine it won't work, so I'm not worry about that.
Well that's very cool, but I would still talk to whoever is in charge, have them pay for you to have a new key made or any towing if needed, and cover all charges you have today for a rental or anything.

But I'd still be fuming
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
WTF!? I would be furious. I guess just talk to the guy in charge, they should cover a rental car for you as well as the cost of the key, and all expenses related to it. Good luck man!
Lucky for me the valet parking staff will solve the problem, I talked with every guy involved, the manager of the bar also was very professional about the whole situation, they agreed to paid for the new key and they will lend me a car, but I will really miss my little baby

Moral of the story, always keep a copy of your car key
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 01:58 PM   #8
yarviinn
Captain
Rep
Drives: E9TT3

Quote:
Lucky for me the valet parking staff will solve the problem, I talked with every guy involved, the manager of the bar also was very professional about the whole situation, they agreed to paid for the new key and they will lend me a car, but I will really miss my little baby

Or don't live in Mexico.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #9
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn View Post
Or don't live in Mexico.
dumb comment...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:04 PM   #10
breathe3asy
Captain
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 340i F30

Garage List
E92 325i  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Or don't live in Mexico.
No its still always keep a spare key.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
marinerd
Addicted
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 328i

Even having another key for my car I'd make sure the bar went through leaps and bounds to accomadate me seeing as how they pretty much f*(%ed me.
      06-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #12
smallseafishie
Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
You'd have to get another key from the dealership.

Used keys on ebay are useless. Keys are married to the car one time and can not be married to another car.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #13
ADRQ0811
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Current 2013 BMW F30 Past 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr335is
Quote:
Or don't live in Mexico.
dumb comment...
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
luv135i
Major
Rep
Drives: White

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarviinn
Quote:

Or don't live in Mexico.
Wtf
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 05:59 PM   #15
Snaggletooth
General Nuisance
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Quote:
Or don't live in Mexico.
Dude, dont be an ass. OP. Rack up a huge bar tab every night you're without your car and have them comp it.
      06-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
MGT81
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Yeah, the whole "lost your key" thing sounds shady to me...
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #17
weaponrx
Rep
Drives: 2010 E63 M6

Quote:

or don't valet your car. way too many horror stories to make me feel comfortable eating dinner.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2013, 11:56 PM   #18
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

While your at it, you should order TWO or more keys. You will need to have the car towed to the dealership and they will order the remaining keys from BMW which works with your CAS (Each module is suppose to have 10 keys associated to it, of which 4 can be active at any time).

Dealership process will be to remove all existing programmed keys from the car and then program the car to accept the keys which are currently with the dealership (Hopefully you get at least 2 this time with BLADES). This will prevent your originally lost 2 keys from working on your car going forward.

Your BMW Assist/GPS/remote tracking is just a feel good security, anyone wants your car they can just tow it away and create a Faraday Cage around it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Once your car is stolen/striped/all modules re-flashed... any protection you thought you had is out the door

If your connected to the right people, maybe these guys can help you get into your car:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855953

I would also strongly urge you to up your insurance coverage for theft right now. Someone/somewhere has an active key to your car... doesn't that worry you in the least bit (even with all the security features u have)?
- Faz
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
innovaciones
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
While your at it, you should order TWO or more keys. You will need to have the car towed to the dealership and they will order the remaining keys from BMW which works with your CAS (Each module is suppose to have 10 keys associated to it, of which 4 can be active at any time).

Dealership process will be to remove all existing programmed keys from the car and then program the car to accept the keys which are currently with the dealership (Hopefully you get at least 2 this time with BLADES). This will prevent your originally lost 2 keys from working on your car going forward.

Your BMW Assist/GPS/remote tracking is just a feel good security, anyone wants your car they can just tow it away and create a Faraday Cage around it:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Once your car is stolen/striped/all modules re-flashed... any protection you thought you had is out the door

If your connected to the right people, maybe these guys can help you get into your car:

I would also strongly urge you to up your insurance coverage for theft right now. Someone/somewhere has an active key to your car... doesn't that worry you in the least bit (even with all the security features u have)?
- Faz
That is a very helpful information, thanks man!!

The car is parked in a very safe place in a second floor with security cameras around the building, it is a covered parking, also the whole place is very small, the road is very narrow to get to the second floor and the height of the roof is very small so there is absolutely no way a tow could make it, and with the car engine disabled I have nothing to worry about it.

I will go to the dealership tomorrow monday and I will order 2 keys so this will never happen again, I have learned my lesson the hard way.

I was told before about disabling the lost keys but I guess the only way is to bring the car to the dealership to do it, right?

Quote:
That is some scary stuff, but here in Mexico if they want to steal your car they will do it the "easy way" with a gun, that's way I have the GSM GPS module installed, that way I could immediately disable the car from any mobile phone, once the car is shutdown the thief will not bother and will leave the car, and with more reason if they are driving on a busy street.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
That is a very helpful information, thanks man!!

The car is parked in a very safe place in a second floor with security cameras around the building, it is a covered parking, also the whole place is very small, the road is very narrow to get to the second floor and the height of the roof is very small so there is absolutely no way a tow could make it, and with the car engine disabled I have nothing to worry about it.

I will go to the dealership tomorrow monday and I will order 2 keys so this will never happen again, I have learned my lesson the hard way.

I was told before about disabling the lost keys but I guess the only way is to bring the car to the dealership to do it, right?

That is some scary stuff, but here in Mexico if they want to steal your car they will do it the "easy way" with a gun, that's way I have the GSM GPS module installed, that way I could immediately disable the car from any mobile phone, once the car is shutdown the thief will not bother and will leave the car, and with more reason if they are driving on a busy street.
no problem... wishing you the best of luck to getting your car back up and running Yea those guys in that video are crazy!
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
FRRYY
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW e92

Quote:
Or don't live in Mexico.
Umm I live in LA and shady valet people exist here too unfortunately.
I've heard so many valet horror stories I avoid them like the plague.

Even if the valet was in Beverly Hills I'd still self park.
      06-30-2013, 11:49 AM   #22
Digitalize
Photographer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320D

I'd be getting the lock barrel changed too.
Appreciate 0