E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > How to tell is suspension is worn out?

09-08-2011, 02:18 PM   #1
nichojo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

How to tell is suspension is worn out?

I've got a 07 E92 with 55k on it and I'm wondering if she's starting to wear out. It's seen it's fair share of potholes and I battle speed bumps every day for my condo and my office - it can't be that great. What are the common symptoms of the usual suspects going bad (shocks/struts/bushings)?
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
e90pilot
Freight Dawg
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

If your shocks are worn, you'll notice a fair bit of oscillation after bumps. If you hit a bump and you know the road is smooth afterward but your car is still bouncing up and down, then your shocks are done. If the front bushings are worn, you'll notice sloppy turn-in or vibration going through about 55mph. If changing or balancing the tires won't cure the vibration, the bushings may be bad. Also, some of the bushings are filled with fluid. They'll pop and leak. You'll know when you hear a clunk whenever you accelerate or decelerate. Most bushings need to be visually checked. If they're dried out and full of cracks, they're done. Rear shock mounts will rattle when they're worn. If you hear a rattle coming from the back seat over rough roads, that's the rear upper shock mounts. 55k mi isn't that much for suspension. Bushings maybe, but not the shocks. It should last at least 100k.
'06 Arctic Metallic 325i | Sport Package | 6MT | Dinan Stage III suspension | Dinan exhaust | 330i manifold swap! Click here! | Active Autowerke tune | 135i Brake Calipers | Deiselboost caliper brackets | E46 M3 front rotors
Appreciate 1