E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Potential Theft Of My Car (video) Need Advise Pls !!!

05-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
bmw3series2010
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Exclamation Potential Theft Of My Car (video) Need Advise Pls !!!

hello forum

a few nights ago around 1am a couple of eastern european looking guys in there mid 20's were seen by my sister checking out my car(see video). what concerns me is that they seem like they were going to do something from the passenger side of the car. i am aware of the obd hack that the thieves are using but obviously they would access that from the drivers side of the car so i was wondering if anyone knew of why they might have been thinking of doing from the passenger side.

my sister started to bang the window before they were able to do anything but would of liked to know what they would of attemted to do

in case you are wondering i did not leave any valuables in my car but could it be that they were looking to see if i had any other kind of security on the car ?

any advice would be welcomed. thanks

[u2b]<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/quSHRsNMLEA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>[/u2b]

Last edited by bmw3series2010; 05-09-2012 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: add video
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

Maybe they were hoping you would be as stupid as me and have left that spare key thing in the glovebox complete. I only realised this can be used to start the car the other day. It's been in my glovebox complete for the last year I have owned the car. Doh.
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:46 PM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

What spare key thing is that?

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
Carjack
Stormtrooper
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330i G20 M-Sport Portimao Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
What spare key thing is that?
Before LCI the E90 had a spare key in the glove compartment. First one opened the door with a flat key you could keep in your wallet. You slotted this into the 'key' in the glove compartment which inabled one to start the engine.
Don't think by smashing the window and using the key in the glove compartment one could start the engine. You had to have the flat key to slot in, then start the engine.
I am going on memory and stand to be corrected!
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
gchild
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: honda

Looks like they are scoping out any cars with valuables in side. They do look out of place on your road by their apparent behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:15 PM   #6
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carjack View Post
Before LCI the E90 had a spare key in the glove compartment. First one opened the door with a flat key you could keep in your wallet. You slotted this into the 'key' in the glove compartment which inabled one to start the engine.
Don't think by smashing the window and using the key in the glove compartment one could start the engine. You had to have the flat key to slot in, then start the engine.
I am going on memory and stand to be corrected!
Yes you are correct and that's what I mean by saying it was in my glovebox complete. I wonder how many people have had their car stole using this.
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 04:28 PM   #7
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Look like opportunistic tea-leaves to me probably looking for a quick smash & grab (i.e not after the car itself)
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2012, 05:33 PM   #8
B33M3R
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 335d XD M Sport

Seconded
      05-09-2012, 08:12 PM   #9
The_Bear_Yid
BM Noob
England
Rep
Drives: E92 325i

Thirded lol.

That's what I said on the phone app but the message didn't send. The reason I think this is because of how brazen they were.

I also said that I'd be telling the police rather than uploading it to YouTube. To make them aware of the situation and you never know, they may already know of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 12:40 AM   #10
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Tossers, go get a proper job.
      05-10-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

[QUOTE=Carjack;11929746]Before LCI the E90 had a spare key in the glove compartment. First one ope

Thanks.

I agree with smash and grab.

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:40 AM   #12
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3series2010 View Post
hello forum

a few nights ago around 1am a couple of eastern european looking guys in there mid 20's were seen by my sister checking out my car(see video).
Can you please explain the stupid statement I underlined?
How do Eastern European guys look?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #13
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36

I guess they looked that driver side and they liked the car.
They looked at passenger side and they were double minded....
Naaaahhhh
Is your passenger side scratched or what? They refused to take your car....such a shame.
Or I guess they did not like white colour :P
      05-10-2012, 02:39 AM   #14
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post
Thanks
I don't think it's a particularly stupid statement, and there are some subtle difference in the way people look from all over world, including eastern europe. Having said that, viewed from a window, perhaps hard to see.

But humans are very good at picking up differences in the way people look, its built in, and often you wouldn't be able to explain why you think what you think.

But, you have to add other judgements into things like this. For example, Eastern Europeans are well known for being hard working, which is why they have found so much work over here. For that reason, I'd probably assume dodgy blokes like in the video not to be from there (But I know that's stereo typing!)

I do think people get too hung up on not mentioning that people from foreign places are different though - it's like political correctness gone too far. I saw a fascinating program once which looked at whether different races were more intelligent than other races. Very controversial, but interesting. I do wonder why, if we can easily accept that black guys who originate from certain parts of Africa are naturally better at running long distances for example, that some people from certain parts of the globe may have more brain power - after all, the brain is an organ in the same way a leg muscle is, so why can't there be differences?!

Of course, these differences are only seen at the extremes of the ability ranges, most people, from wherever they're from will be broadly similar in most attributes

Massively off topic now - sorry OP Glad your car wan't damaged in the end

Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 03:34 AM   #15
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks
      05-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #16
Subzero2003
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

You need to report this to the police. Just give them a quick call on 101/call the switchboard and say that you had a couple of dodgy guys looking into your car last night at 1am and you've got some CCTV if anyone wants it. It'll be logged and could be potentially good information.

For all you know, they may have done a smash and grab on a car 200m down the road. Even if they didn't, this kind of stuff can be invaluable. If they broke into a car tomorrow and stole something and got caught, tried to claim it was just a moment of madness and they've never done anything like this before, to get a reduced sentence, and the Police produce a video of them the previous night going around looking into cars, it's going to blow their mitigation out of the water.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:12 AM   #17
Falmouthboy
Squadron Leader (Ret'd)
Rep
Drives: E91 330d SE & Mini Coupe JCW

Quote:
Thanks
I hate to say it, but very true, down here in Cornwall where we have a lot of Eastern Europeans working in the hospitality, food and farming industries. They do stand out by virtue of their complexion and the way they dress which is ‘different’ in terms of fashion. I would add that in Cornwall we have no issues with crime being committed by Eastern Europeans and indeed they are known for being hard working, reliable and, by choice, 'keeping themselves to themselves' within their community. I spent some time in Kosovo and so perhaps recognise their ethnic characteristics a bit more than many. The term ‘Eastern European looking’ is no more offensive or less descriptive than ‘Mediterranean looking’ or ‘Scandinavian looking’, and add in a mode of dress and whilst not a precise science, a very good identifier.

Back on topic – It looks like one of them locked a vehicle with a remote – a pity you didn’t see what they were driving.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:15 AM   #18
Soootylad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M Sport

Garage List
Where exactly is this "spare key thing" in the glovebox... out of curiosity I popped out to the car and can't see anything?

(I can see an empty torch holder annoyingly )
      05-10-2012, 04:17 AM   #19
bmw3series2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks
What i should of said was SOUNDED eastern european and the reason for that is where you see them on the video go off camera to the left they actually are hiding in the gully right next to the bay window where my sister overheard them talking to each other in an eastern european language !
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:22 AM   #20
bmw3series2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subzero2003 View Post
You need to report this to the police. Just give them a quick call on 101/call the switchboard and say that you had a couple of dodgy guys looking into your car last night at 1am and you've got some CCTV if anyone wants it. It'll be logged and could be potentially good information.

For all you know, they may have done a smash and grab on a car 200m down the road. Even if they didn't, this kind of stuff can be invaluable. If they broke into a car tomorrow and stole something and got caught, tried to claim it was just a moment of madness and they've never done anything like this before, to get a reduced sentence, and the Police produce a video of them the previous night going around looking into cars, it's going to blow their mitigation out of the water.
thats a good point will call the police !
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #21
bmw3series2010
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falmouthboy View Post
I hate to say it, but very true, down here in Cornwall where we have a lot of Eastern Europeans working in the hospitality, food and farming industries. They do stand out by virtue of their complexion and the way they dress which is ‘different’ in terms of fashion. I would add that in Cornwall we have no issues with crime being committed by Eastern Europeans and indeed they are known for being hard working, reliable and, by choice, 'keeping themselves to themselves' within their community. I spent some time in Kosovo and so perhaps recognise their ethnic characteristics a bit more than many. The term ‘Eastern European looking’ is no more offensive or less descriptive than ‘Mediterranean looking’ or ‘Scandinavian looking’, and add in a mode of dress and whilst not a precise science, a very good identifier.

Back on topic – It looks like one of them locked a vehicle with a remote – a pity you didn’t see what they were driving.
i was thinking maybe they had a remote to try and unlock my car like a code grabber type of key. one of thereasons now i always make sure my lights flash when i lock the car
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:24 AM   #22
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
I can show you a similar picture/looks anywhere in the world where Gypsies can be found...
I'd suggest you spend more time learning about the Eastern Europeans before generalizing them
Appreciate 0