E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Can off duty police chase you?

07-12-2007, 10:51 AM   #23
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperM3 View Post
The only problem with that is Im sure I would have gotten a ticket at that point. You know how they all back each other up. The off-duty would have coraborated his story and the on-duty would have been able to write me up. Probably could have called it a citizens arrest at that point.
While NOT in the realm of impossible, my experience has been that if you simple state that you want a marked unit on scene before proceeding that the Det. is all for it. It's better for everyone involved.

Contrary to popular Tin-Foil Hat wearing conspiracies and Over Dramatized Media Accounts. 90% of cops are there to do the right thing, it's a tough job, but most officers have no need or desire for drama.

IF you are pulled over, and the officer refuses to get a marked unit on scene? That's where the drama starts, I'd suspect the officer is NOT an officer at that point and would leave the scene. THIS WILL get things foxed quick either way. If they are a LEO, you find yourself pulled over in a little bit with three or for Marked units on hand to help. If they aren't then you've probably saved yourself some drama... Just remember, DO NOT FLEE, just drive away casually to a well lit and crowded spot... FIND MORE LEOs. There is a difference between failure to stop, and felony evasion. Use your Signals mind the speed limit etc... First though call 911, good chance they can work it out in short order.
      07-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #24
mesier1111
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe, titanium

Quote:
So today I was summoned from one office to another because someone had left their keys at home.

So theres still a bit of traffic on route 18(its a 45mph road) and people have a hard time doing 40.

When I see an opening, I just dart for it. I dont pay attention to how fast Im going but I know the car takes off like a rocket where I point it.

So anyway, Im definitely passing cars at a rapid rate of speed when I see this black Murano start weaving behind me trying to catch up. So I go faster trying to get away from him because I dont know if I just cut him off and he was pissed or what. I end up turning off the road to my office and hes right behind me, pulls up next to me in the parking lot.

Starts yelling at me "Are you the registered owner of that car?" Flashing his badge wildly.

I say yeah. And hes going off on how I was doing 85 on that road that was 45. I start saying that I was nervous about him and that I had no idea he was a cop. He said If I had slowed down he would have been able to show it to me. Then I said, if I was scared that you might have tried to run me off the road, hence the fact I was trying to get away from you, why would I have slowed down?

Then he acknowledged the fact that he was in a black murano and wearing street clothes. He then said I should be expecting a warning in the mail.

Im not worried about the warning but in this day and age, anyone can flash a badge that could be fake, especially when they are in street clothes in a normal car. Secondly, he was doing 85 apparently to keep up with me, doesnt that mean he was recklessly driving too and without lights flashing?
Fuck that asshole. Why is you speeding in a BMW MADE to go fast worse than that asshole doing it in a Fucking NISSAN MURANO. Give me a break, being a cop doesn't suddenly make you a race car driver that can make normal cars perform like a sports coupe. What a Jackass. I would have told him to play a game of "Hide and go fuck yourself".
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 10:53 AM   #25
533ogetnom
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavo451 View Post
Why can't he pull you over? On-duty (probably), driving a police vehicle (unmarked), and has emergency equipment. Detectives are cops too. Detectives have done their time on the streets as a uniformed, patrol officer before going to investigations.

To the OP: I don't know if he was allowed to do what he did, but it was a bad idea to try to enforce traffic laws in his personal vehicle.
i didn't say he couldn't, i said he had no business doing it
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 01:21 PM   #26
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonzo View Post
Metro off duty..speeder???? Here in Dallas the only way to get an off duties attention would involve a gun, knife, brutal beating or serious collision. I have a feeling it was one of these guys...but w/o a real badge. Barney had one bullet.
In northern Virginia the only way to get an ON-DUTY police's attention is to flash a Krispy Kreme sack.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2007, 01:23 PM   #27
SES_D
pewpew
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

just a cop showing off his power. Don't sweat it.
      07-12-2007, 01:52 PM   #28
richeerich03
Captain
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E90

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
hahaha

i dont know about you, but I would have just walked away from that fool with the middle finger in the air.. hahaha
      07-12-2007, 01:59 PM   #29
txusa03
Major General
Rep
Drives: TS330iPPSP6MT

I am a little disappointed that you were not able to loose the nissan murano. You dont deserver to keep the 335, give me your 335i

07-12-2007, 03:26 PM   #30
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Just ignore him, save you time...
      07-13-2007, 01:06 AM   #31
335iPDX
F N B
Rep
Drives: 335i

damn now I believe who said<the King isdead> 335i cant even beat Murano how the hell it can beat G37,.........just kidding I know 335i is the beast.:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 04:24 PM   #32
voltron1011
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, FJR-1300

That happened to me when I was a teenager, but mine was even stupider. I used to live in a town right outside an Army base (Ft Huachuca AZ). One day I was driving with some friends (off base) doing about 45 in a 35 zone... All of the sudden this white POS Honda Accord veers in front of me and hits his brakes. I stop and this dumbass gets out of his car waving his military ID telling me he's an MP and that I was driving wrecklessly. I said, "Big fucking deal, we're not on base and you're not even on duty!" We then proceeded to give this tool-box a proper verbal send-off. He got in his car and drove off. Too bad we didn't have cell-phones back then or we would've dialed 911.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 04:46 PM   #33
HyperM3
Too many Alex's, from now on, call me Beaufort
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Sig

Well, came home today to find not a warning, but a ticket in my mailbox. Careless driving with a court date required.

Cock smoking asshole cop. Have to go fight it now.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 04:48 PM   #34
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Well, came home today to find not a warning, but a ticket in my mailbox. Careless driving with a court date required.

Cock smoking asshole cop. Have to go fight it now.

sucks. look at what today's date is.
G'luck with your ticket though.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #35
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
to long to read the whole thing, but short answer is that in most places
a Police Officer is Never off duty.
+1 with a slight mod to your statement...short answer is that a Police Officer is Never off duty
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:22 AM   #36
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

UPDATE:

Ok, just went to court today. Prosecuting Attorney was the biggest douche bag ever(more so than some people on this forum). I have a clean driving record and he wouldnt even let me plea it down. Even the officer suggested something less. I walk in and he starts telling me theres nothing I can say. Im like thanks for giving me a chance.

Anyway, I get points and pay the fine. Fucker suggests I take a driving class at DMV to delete the points. I dont care about points on my license though, its the ones on my insurance I care about. Fucking prick.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:33 AM   #37
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

So the judge didn't care that the off-duty cop was driving after you like a maniac in his Murano?
      08-01-2007, 09:38 AM   #38
HyperM3
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephyr15 View Post
So the judge didn't care that the off-duty cop was driving after you like a maniac in his Murano?
Didnt even make it to the judge. The prosecuting attorney said I can either plead guilty and pay, or appeal it and hire a defense attorney and reschedule a court date. Whatever, I guess I shouldnt really complain. I drive like that all the time, no tickets and only a couple warnings in the last few years I deserve this one.

Still gonna drive the same though. However, Im going to call in a citizens arrest now to EVERYONE that is driving poorly. And I was in front of a cop who was on his cell phone all the way of a 20 minute drive the other day. Im going commando on bad drivers from now on.
07 335i(gone)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:40 AM   #39
PresaMat
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 67 GT500,69 Boss 429, 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Didnt even make it to the judge. The prosecuting attorney said I can either plead guilty and pay, or appeal it and hire a defense attorney and reschedule a court date. Whatever, I guess I shouldnt really complain. I drive like that all the time, no tickets and only a couple warnings in the last few years I deserve this one.

Still gonna drive the same though. However, Im going to call in a citizens arrest now to EVERYONE that is driving poorly. And I was in front of a cop who was on his cell phone all the way of a 20 minute drive the other day. Im going commando on bad drivers from now on.
Should have used a lawyer. I pay mine $65 per ticket. I have had them all dismissed... 100 in a 60 etc.

Tuned E92 335, Riss Racing downpipes! And hopefully over 400RWHP!!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:44 AM   #40
Carnage
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: people insane

Quote:
Still gonna drive the same though.
Then don't be surprised if you continue to end up in court. Since you now have that on your record, forget about any slack.

Yea other people drive like shit too and it sucks that you got picked out, but driving like a maniac is no way to impress cops or other drivers. That kind of driving is what helps cement the poor opinions of BMW drivers in general.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 09:52 AM   #41
Zephyr15
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e90 335i

Quote:
Didnt even make it to the judge. The prosecuting attorney said I can either plead guilty and pay, or appeal it and hire a defense attorney and reschedule a court date.
Why would you have to appeal if you hadn't been found guilty of an offense yet? I must confess some level of ignorance about traffic courts because I have absolutely no experience with them (see a previous thread somewhere on here), but it seems to me this NJ procedure is designed to strong-arm people into paying the tickets. By using prosecutors the average legal neophyte is likely to be intimidated and by forcing people to come to court twice if they want to fight a ticket it increases the hassle. Based on every anectodal story I've heard about traffic courts in PA and VA (previous residences) you just had your court date with the judge, the cop (no prosecutor) shows up, and it's settled then one way or another.
      08-01-2007, 09:54 AM   #42
Scarecrows25
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 - Jet Black

Quote:

Hire an attorney for a traffic ticket? Wow... douche, indeed. I would've given serious thought to fighting it. Let's see:

(A) Off-duty cop chasing you down in his private vehicle. Does that badge-flashing crap in the parking lot.

(B) Your ticket-less driving record to date.

Careless driving is so subjective; in TX, the law (for reckless driving) simply says "A person commits an offense if the person drives a vehicle in wilful or wanton disregard for the safety of persons or property." In front of a judge, I would've liked my chances to at least plea it down, if not get the charge dropped.
      08-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #43
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Sounds like you got strong-armed in this one. Prosecuter talked you into a guilty before you saw the judge, so he did his job of speedy trial by giving you some "free" legal advice and convincing you not to waste the taxpayer $$.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2007, 10:15 AM   #44
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

Quote:

I think the Prosecuting attorney used the "scare" tactic and it worked.

Win or lose, I would have grilled his witness (the cop) on the witness stand.