E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E93 - What's with the hardtop convertible roof?

06-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i Convertible

E93 - What's with the hardtop convertible roof?

On my E93 when I push the roof open (or close) button, sometimes it opens everything and then closes (or opens) the windows again and sometimes it doesn't.
When I am closing the roof, sometimes it closes all the windows then opens the driver window (and sometimes it opens the passenger window afterwards).

I am trying to learn the logic behind it (when does it fully open/close windows or when it opens just one of them after closing and why?)- does anyone have a clue?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 10:05 PM   #2
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

It shouldn't have anything to do with the roof
This happends on my e93 sometimes, but more often when I am putting just the windows up.
Brought it to BMW 3 times and they still haven't figured it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2012, 11:47 PM   #3
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

so it's not a "feature" - but it's like a software error?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 06:38 AM   #4
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

When you are closing the roof and at the end the driver window or passenger window (or both) is rolled down only a bit (and the rest remain closed) It is because the anti-pitch sensor has been triggered usually because the rear window presses the front one.
It is not a problem, maybe you have to clean the rubber and lubricate them with a rubber cleaner.

If you want to open all the windows, keep holding the open-roof button when the roof has been opened.
      06-15-2012, 09:24 AM   #5
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
When you are closing the roof and at the end the driver window or passenger window (or both) is rolled down only a bit (and the rest remain closed) It is because the anti-pitch sensor has been triggered usually because the rear window presses the front one.
It is not a problem, maybe you have to clean the rubber and lubricate them with a rubber cleaner.

If you want to open all the windows, keep holding the open-roof button when the roof has been opened.
it happens so smooth without a hickup that it seems like it's predetermined. For instance -when I am closing the roof, the passenger window would close all the way then instantly open up again as if to complete the roof closing process. Should this be something that the dealer would look at? Car is still under the factory warranty...
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:31 AM   #6
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

Mine does it too. I don't think it's a glitch, just more of that good ole German engineering trying to think for the owner
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2012, 09:51 AM   #7
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolcobramatt View Post
Mine does it too. I don't think it's a glitch, just more of that good ole German engineering trying to think for the owner
That's what I initially though but how do you know when it will keep the windows closed and when it'll open one of them and which one?

Thinking more about it - seems to me like a glitch now rather than a feature.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #8
coolcobramatt
I like turtles
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is Lemans Blue

I think it's a feature, what kind I am not sure of lol. You can "learn" the feel of it and get quick on the draw and release your finger at the moment all four are up. But you have to be good! Mine pretty much opens the driver's side first if memory serves.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
rascalion
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i E93

Garage List
Get a SmartTop. Best thing I bought for my E93.

http://www.mods4cars.com/sms/shop/in...de=view&id=112

New car: 2017 Ford Fusion Titanium. I got old, married and was given a budget.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2012, 09:27 PM   #10
N54_Fan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
That's what I initially though but how do you know when it will keep the windows closed and when it'll open one of them and which one?

Thinking more about it - seems to me like a glitch now rather than a feature.
Yes. Mine does this too. I have found a solution. If you let go of the button when it has finished locking the top but BEFORE the windows go up then wait 1-2 sec and close the windows only by using the door button instead of the center console button for the top then it should not happen.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2012, 04:35 PM   #11
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by N54_Fan View Post
Yes. Mine does this too. I have found a solution. If you let go of the button when it has finished locking the top but BEFORE the windows go up then wait 1-2 sec and close the windows only by using the door button instead of the center console button for the top then it should not happen.
After looking at this more closely now, I agree that it's not a feature and that it happens when the windows "rub" too close together as they are moving up. I will ask the dealer because if so, fixing this should be covered under factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2012, 08:03 PM   #12
vertspeed
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08' 335i e93

Mine does it too, i've just learned to be quick on the trigger as someone else mentioned above. Unfortunately it still happens every now and then and is pretty annoying. makes you look like you dont know how to use your cars features.ha
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #13
skidrive
Rep
Drives: 2010 335x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBimmer View Post
it happens so smooth without a hickup that it seems like it's predetermined. For instance -when I am closing the roof, the passenger window would close all the way then instantly open up again as if to complete the roof closing process. Should this be something that the dealer would look at? Car is still under the factory warranty...
I had the same problem, but also, the top would stop working for a few seconds.
I brought it to dealer and they found the computer faulty and replaced under warranty.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidrive View Post
I had the same problem, but also, the top would stop working for a few seconds.
I brought it to dealer and they found the computer faulty and replaced under warranty.
I took it in and they said they couldn't find a problem with it, of course when I tried to show them twice it worked perfectly.
Since then the windows go down after the roof closes about half the time. I think I'll go back to them in a few 1000 miles before the warranty runs out.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2013, 04:31 PM   #15
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Hey All,

I have been having the same problem with my windows. I took it to one dealership which replaced my driver's window motor but as you can suspect this did nothing to help with the problem. I then went to a different dealership and they have seemed to fix the problem.

The dealership reprogrammed my car to the 46.1 level programming. So far so good with the windows although I seem to have two new problems. For one, I can no longer open my top with my key fob. It randomly worked once but I can't get it to work again. Also, now my "MyBMW" remote app no longer works.

Does anyone have a E93 at 46.1 with top functions working via the key fob? I think something was just programmed wrong, or at least I hope. It would be total BS if BMW just removed this feature as the SA is telling me.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2013, 08:11 AM   #16
Jose_JN
Private First Class
Spain
Rep
Drives: e93 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Hey All,

I have been having the same problem with my windows. I took it to one dealership which replaced my driver's window motor but as you can suspect this did nothing to help with the problem. I then went to a different dealership and they have seemed to fix the problem.

The dealership reprogrammed my car to the 46.1 level programming. So far so good with the windows although I seem to have two new problems. For one, I can no longer open my top with my key fob. It randomly worked once but I can't get it to work again. Also, now my "MyBMW" remote app no longer works.

Does anyone have a E93 at 46.1 with top functions working via the key fob? I think something was just programmed wrong, or at least I hope. It would be total BS if BMW just removed this feature as the SA is telling me.
You can always recode your car for remote opening but remote closing has been disabled and it is not possible to get it back unless you install an aftermarket module or Passive Go System.

Regards.
      01-22-2013, 10:37 AM   #17
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN View Post
You can always recode your car for remote opening but remote closing has been disabled and it is not possible to get it back unless you install an aftermarket module or Passive Go System.

Regards.
I think my remote closing still works (too cold to check now but I will), just an update on my - issue my service tech at the dealer found an old bulettin on this ,ordered a part and changed it and it's now fixed!
I believe it had something to do with the window pinching sensor or calibrator.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 02:12 AM   #18
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose_JN

Regards.
Actually closing seemed to be the only thing that was still working.

Took it back again and they are working on it. I think I'll get it working again but if not it's going to take a manager or better to explain to me why a $500 option I paid for is no longer working completely.

Either that or give me my $500 back!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2013, 07:17 PM   #19
D-e93
Private
Rep
Drives: Titanium e93

On mine it only happens when the windows are closing, sometimes a front window automatically goes down. I think this has to do with the sequence of the windows closing. Usually if my rear windows are closed or closer-to-close than my front ones, its ok. The problem is when my front windows are just a tad bit closer-to-close than my rears, then sometimes the error will occur.

Last edited by D-e93; 01-29-2013 at 08:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 10:00 AM   #20
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2009-e93 View Post
On mine it only happens when the windows are closing, sometimes a front window automatically goes down. I think this has to do with the sequence of the windows closing. Usually if my rear windows are closed or closer-to-close than my front ones, its ok. The problem is when my front windows are just a tad bit closer-to-close than my rears, then sometimes the error will occur.
Mine was fixed during the last service I did there, the tech looked it up and there was a service bullitin on it, I believe it was the part that controls the windows "pinching" resistance that was replaced. It hasn't done this since then.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2013, 07:08 PM   #21
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep

Well got the car back (again). Looks like they fixed everything but I have no idea what they did since most all the "customer concerns" were simply listed as "could not be duplicated" but low and behold the issues now seem to be gone.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2013, 10:41 AM   #22
BlueBimmer
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_milo View Post
Well got the car back (again). Looks like they fixed everything but I have no idea what they did since most all the "customer concerns" were simply listed as "could not be duplicated" but low and behold the issues now seem to be gone.
They said the same thing to me too (couldn't be duplicated) but when I talked to the guy, he replaced something and it worked. The car was actually there for an extra 2 days waiting for this part too.
Appreciate 0