E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ST XTA rear shock height adjustment

08-06-2016, 08:37 PM   #1
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

ST XTA rear shock height adjustment

I'm installing ST XTA shocks and the instructions say that to adjust the rear shocks requires removing the rear axle height adjustment! This doesn't make sense to me. Do they mean the whole spring has to be removed, then remove the adjuster and adjust it? That's crazy as it's a lot of work and alignment is required after lower control arms is disturbed. Can't the ride height be adjusted while the adjuster is still on the car? Anyone familiar with these shocks to provide clarifications?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2016, 09:10 PM   #2
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

pretty stupid, but true. you can lower the car more without removing the axle support but you can't raise the car. Thats with any set of coilovers. I was dissapointed myself when I first found out about this. What I would do is raise those suckers all the way up, and then start lowering them and find your perfect fit. Like I said you can lower them you just can't raise it
      08-06-2016, 09:44 PM   #3
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd_luis View Post
pretty stupid, but true. you can lower the car more without removing the axle support but you can't raise the car. Thats with any set of coilovers. I was dissapointed myself when I first found out about this. What I would do is raise those suckers all the way up, and then start lowering them and find your perfect fit. Like I said you can lower them you just can't raise it
Thank you SD_Luis! I also found a thread where folks use a 3 inch C-clamp to hold the black part and thus be able to adjust up or down easily. Another workaround mentioned is to put a dime-sized jb-weld between the car body and the black part and never have to worry again- it stays put as you spin the adjuster up or down.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=239019&page=1
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2016, 02:41 PM   #4
sd_luis
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Thank you SD_Luis! I also found a thread where folks use a 3 inch C-clamp to hold the black part and thus be able to adjust up or down easily. Another workaround mentioned is to put a dime-sized jb-weld between the car body and the black part and never have to worry again- it stays put as you spin the adjuster up or down.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...=239019&page=1
thanks man! this is really helpful for next time i do work on my suspension