E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > New & Preowned BMW Ordering / Pricing / Tracking Information Forum (including European Delivery) > Anyone use Costco Auto Program to buy e90

01-02-2006, 12:20 PM   #1
IUBMW
Rep
Drives: not a bmw :(

Anyone use Costco Auto Program to buy e90

Was just on the Costco website and saw that it looked like BMW was an option when selecting a Costco authorized dealer. Just wondered if anyone had used this program and how much they saved. Thanks for any input.

here is a link:

http://www.costcoauto.com/carresearc...ries&imageurl=
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
I did check into this, but realized that I could do better than the deal they offer.
      01-02-2006, 01:25 PM   #3
IUBMW
Rep
Drives: not a bmw :(

how much off msrp did they give you?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
CMD
Rep
n/a
Drives:

I originally started out using the Costco program, but the sales price was $2,200 over dealer invoice, (this was back in July and in Orange County, CA). I thought this was high, so I called Costco and spoke to them about this in order to verify what the dealer was telling me and they confirmed it for me. Anyway, what I finally got was the $2,200 over and I got the factory alarm and carpet mats thrown in. This worked out to be around $1,700 over invoice, which I was able to live with.

The Costco price is a "no haggle" price and can most always be beat if you want to put in the time and effort.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 01:54 PM   #5
ksfrogman
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 6MT

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by IUBMW
how much off msrp did they give you?
I talked to a couple of BMW insiders who told me the Costco program is great for those who don't like to haggle, but that better deals could be had.

BMW South Bay told me that they could easily match the Costco $1800 over invoice price. I eventually went through dealerscost.com, and they in turn selected a dealership from which the e90 would be purchased from. They ironed out all the details for me.

In retrospect, I could have done all the research and negotiating, but because my time was limited, and the administrative aspects of my work demanded much of my attention, delegating this to a car finding agency made more sense at the time.
      01-02-2006, 02:14 PM   #6
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

I tried it too, they were offering $1200 over invoice (Maco+Training extra) which would have made it ~1700 over invoice.
When I told the dealer that I didn't want the costco program and wanted to deal separately, he wouldn't budge from the 1200. I went to another dealer and got $800 over invoice (MACO+Training extra).

I wouldn't recommend it, at least for BMW's.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 07:34 PM   #7
seh
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
they were offering $1200 over invoice (Maco+Training extra) which would have made it ~1700 over invoice.
That's about what I got mine for here in San Diego through the Costco program. Of the five dealers I solicited quotes from and haggled with, the Costco program was the only means to reach a reasonable price anywhere near what we hear about on this forum.

Here's one thing I learned: Submitting the form through the Costco site or calling them will put you in touch with one dealer -- the one they figure is "closest" to your home ZIP Code. In my case the correlated dealership was not the closest as the crow flies, but perhaps that one had "bought" coverage of my neighborhood. If you alter the given ZIP Code to match a specific dealership you want to talk with, you can then be exposed to more than one "Costco contact".
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2006, 10:41 PM   #8
Paddy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 18' M2, AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by seh
That's about what I got mine for here in San Diego through the Costco program. Of the five dealers I solicited quotes from and haggled with, the Costco program was the only means to reach a reasonable price anywhere near what we hear about on this forum.

Here's one thing I learned: Submitting the form through the Costco site or calling them will put you in touch with one dealer -- the one they figure is "closest" to your home ZIP Code. In my case the correlated dealership was not the closest as the crow flies, but perhaps that one had "bought" coverage of my neighborhood. If you alter the given ZIP Code to match a specific dealership you want to talk with, you can then be exposed to more than one "Costco contact".
The costco program is useful to determine where to start bargaining from, if you haven't got an idea what local dealers are prepared to accept. I used it and found out $1200 over invoice was the accepted costco price, then took a chunk off that as my offer. You'll probably have to go to a different dealer than the dealer that quoted you the Costco price. I guess they have an "arrangement" with Costco, not to budge from the prearranged values.
Remember too, that Costco is getting a piece of the Costco Price, so the dealer should always be able to go below the Costco price on a private negotiation.
Appreciate 0