E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Use of external phone antenna for 3G broadband dongle

04-29-2015, 04:34 PM   #1
Rodolfox
Chile
Rep
Drives: E90 330i 2007 TiAg

Use of external phone antenna for 3G broadband dongle

Hi, I've equipped my car with onboard Wi-Fi by using a TP-Link portable router connected to a 3G broadband modem. The router (and the modem connected to it) is battery powered and chargess via USB adapter connected to the 12v lighter socket under the central armrest. It all fits neatly concealed in the center console armrest storage. Components are velcroed to the underside of the lid and I managed to find some short USB cables that help keep it tidy. Happy with the setup and it works great!

Now I'd like to see if I can tap into the external phone antenna to get a stronger 3G signal. My 3G dongle has an external antenna connector and I can see what looks like a readily available antenna connector in the phone cradle base (see attached image). I understand this antenna plug is intended for the OEM (phone specific) snap-in adapter, but I'd like to know if I can benefit from the external antenna by connecting my 3G dongle using a simple antenna cable with the proper connectors. Any clues?

EDIT: I have several reasons for preferring this setup over my phone's mobile hotspot (i.e. good/better data plan on my 3G dongle, no phone battery drain, avoids having to manually connect each time and other conveniences of "pure" wifi).
Attached Images

Last edited by Rodolfox; 04-29-2015 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0