E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Would a KVM switch work with 6FL?

05-05-2015, 09:55 AM   #1
90c4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xdrive coupe

Would a KVM switch work with 6FL?

Is there any reason why a KVM switch wouldn't work with a 6FL setup? My problem is that I have an ipod in my center console plugged into both USB and audio jacks, and I'd like to be able to (easily) be able to switch to a bluetooth broadcasting device occasionally. So basically I'm looking for a USB switch that also has audio inputs and KVM switches do. Any thoughts on whether or not this will work, or if there's a better solution?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2015, 02:59 PM   #2
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90c4 View Post
Is there any reason why a KVM switch wouldn't work with a 6FL setup? My problem is that I have an ipod in my center console plugged into both USB and audio jacks, and I'd like to be able to (easily) be able to switch to a bluetooth broadcasting device occasionally. So basically I'm looking for a USB switch that also has audio inputs and KVM switches do. Any thoughts on whether or not this will work, or if there's a better solution?
KVMs switch usually two USB slaves between multiple USB hosts, rather than switching multiple slaves onto the same host, since that's not a task you usually ever need to do (most USB hosts support multiple slaves, it just happens to be the case that the MULF doesn't, nor does it support hubs).

ICs do exist to make the kind of device you're talking about, but they're usually used in things like cellphones that have one USB connector to plug into a host, but multiple independent USB devices on-board, for example the main processor and a separate firmware update processor. I don't know if anyone's made the kind of switch you want.

Actually, THIS thing does kind of what you want, but it's a little bit needlessly complex:
http://www.ambery.com/2x2usb20rosw.html
      05-13-2015, 08:11 AM   #3
90c4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ideally I'd have the glove box ipod kit as well as the 6FL, but I can't tell if they play nicely together or if they can both be coded to the head unit.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2015, 09:30 AM   #4
ptpending
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e91

upgrade mulf2high module to combox media and you'll get this via CIC menu
      05-13-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
90c4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I don't have nav and assume that would be a requirement. All I want to do is use my 6FL for my ipod and another aux input for either wired audio from my phone or a bluetooth adapter.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

ah,
your car now technically have two aux ports, one in radio and another in mulf2high
port in mulf2high now routed to armrest
so, it is possible to wire port from radio to another place and enable it via coding
other way is to add BMW usb hub and bring additional USB socket to another location and enable it via coding
      05-14-2015, 08:55 AM   #7
90c4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Really? How do I access the aux in the radio? Does it require hardware? Can't find any info on that.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 11:09 AM   #8
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
ah,
your car now technically have two aux ports, one in radio and another in mulf2high
port in mulf2high now routed to armrest
so, it is possible to wire port from radio to another place and enable it via coding
other way is to add BMW usb hub and bring additional USB socket to another location and enable it via coding
You sure about those things? Not all radios have built in USB, only the newer ones, and one of those would preclude the need for a MULF.

And the hub I think is only relevant if you've got a combox or at least idrive, right? If you can code the MULF to use a hub, how?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2015, 01:31 PM   #9
ptpending
Colonel
Rep

usb hub shipped from 2007 and if your 6FL option is from factory you already have it
it is located under carpet in drivers side legroom
you may test this option by simpy connect consumer usb hub in armrest and connect ipod and usb stick or bluetooth streamer to it
      05-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #10
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptpending View Post
usb hub shipped from 2007 and if your 6FL option is from factory you already have it
it is located under carpet in drivers side legroom
you may test this option by simpy connect consumer usb hub in armrest and connect ipod and usb stick or bluetooth streamer to it
Having tested a commercial USB hub before, it works, but not with multiple slaves. If I plug in both a y cable and a flash drive, the radio shows only the most recently plugged in.
Appreciate 0