E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Live Traffic?

03-24-2012, 02:06 AM   #1
Soootylad
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D M Sport

Garage List
Question Live Traffic?

These questions are coming thick and fast now I'll pack it in once I've settled into my new gadget

Wanted to ask about live traffic, on the way home from picking the car up in Leeds yesterday, the car knew about traffic delays and asked to reroute etc...

Does this mean there is some sort of subscription (maybe with login details) active within the system? And if so how would I find out when it's due for renewal?

I do remember when buying my first bm in 2007 that there was Assist and Online, but I can't really remember what all these things do or if they're related...

Could anyone shed any light? Thanks
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 06:15 AM   #2
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92,F22, F36, G01

Assist and on line is free for the first three years of the cars registration and is renewable after that. You can log on online and change details, use google maps to send to the car ete. You need to register - I did mine through the dealer but you can go ring BMW.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/insights/t...ist/index.html

As for traffic - I find the traffic map on the sat nav invaluable.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Actually I think the traffic updates are via TMC (ie over the air) and not part of the BMW assist subscription. They still work on my 2004 E46 M3!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 01:55 PM   #4
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_s1 View Post
Actually I think the traffic updates are via TMC (ie over the air) and not part of the BMW assist subscription. They still work on my 2004 E46 M3!
You are probably right

The innovative service of BMW ConnectedDrive not only uses today’s existing data, but also local traffic data, driving data from GPS-Fleets and anonymous movement profiles of phones in the mobile network to calculate current traffic data in real-time. It therefore allows you to adequately react in response to unfavourable developments along your route.
As soon as the navigation system detects a problem, it will provide you with all the relevant details via the Control Display, such as the exact location of the traffic congestion (resolution: 500m increments). In addition, the system calculates the expected delay of your journey as a result of the current traffic situation, and if available provides all required information for the fastest alternative route.

The quality of information achieved is not merely due to the transmission of data in real-time but also to the route network covered. Besides the motorway system, Real-Time Traffic Information also covers all relevant streets in towns and cities as well as all interurban connections.

In order to use Real-Time Traffic Information, your vehicle must be equipped with Navigation Professional, Bluetooth mobile phone interface and BMW Assist. Furthermore, you have to activate the “grey map” in your navigation system to display the current traffic flow.

Additionally, the RTTI feature is available for BMW Assist and BMW Online clients via the BMW Routes Portal.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 02:54 PM   #5
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
You are probably right

The innovative service of BMW ConnectedDrive not only uses today’s existing data, but also local traffic data, driving data from GPS-Fleets and anonymous movement profiles of phones in the mobile network to calculate current traffic data in real-time. It therefore allows you to adequately react in response to unfavourable developments along your route.
As soon as the navigation system detects a problem, it will provide you with all the relevant details via the Control Display, such as the exact location of the traffic congestion (resolution: 500m increments). In addition, the system calculates the expected delay of your journey as a result of the current traffic situation, and if available provides all required information for the fastest alternative route.

The quality of information achieved is not merely due to the transmission of data in real-time but also to the route network covered. Besides the motorway system, Real-Time Traffic Information also covers all relevant streets in towns and cities as well as all interurban connections.

In order to use Real-Time Traffic Information, your vehicle must be equipped with Navigation Professional, Bluetooth mobile phone interface and BMW Assist. Furthermore, you have to activate the “grey map” in your navigation system to display the current traffic flow.

Additionally, the RTTI feature is available for BMW Assist and BMW Online clients via the BMW Routes Portal.
I have Navigation Professional, BT but how can I tell if I have BMW Assist?

I believe I have the real time traffic information but wondering if it's possible without the assist?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #6
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep

Ring them through the Idrive and ask. i guess if you get through you have it.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
onetwentie
Straight 6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by fulcrum View Post
Ring them through the Idrive and ask. i guess if you get through you have it.
This is gonna sound daft, but i take it you mean without a phone connected?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2012, 04:26 PM   #8
fulcrum
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetwentie View Post
This is gonna sound daft, but i take it you mean without a phone connected?
eh?

I was going to say no - but not tried it. The car has its own sim I believe so maybe it is possible.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2012, 05:15 AM   #9
Guvernator
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i SE Cabriolet

I am pretty sure BMW assist and the traffic routing service are unrelated. My BMW assist subscription expired a few months after I got my car which I didn't bother renewing and my traffic routing still works perfectly. In fact it didn't a brilliant job or re-routing my around a snarl up on North Circular just this weekend so it really is pretty good.

Not really sure what Assist gives you over and above the built in Sat Nav\Idrive functions but I certainly haven't missed them.
Appreciate 0