E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > So how unreliable are Range Rovers really?

12-03-2009, 06:29 PM   #1
.:bHd:.
Major
Armenia
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

So how unreliable are Range Rovers really?

I'm thinking of picking up a used car for around $20,000 and some 2004 Range Rovers are pretty close. Anyone actually own one and have first hand experience with them? Is it true how unreliable they are?

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 06:40 PM   #2
BForbes
Bahamas
Rep
Drives: BSM 135i/AW E90 M3

My Father picked up the larger model a few weeks ago. They're constantly at the bottom of every list. He understands that and it shocks me. I had it for a weekend or two and it is definitely my favorite SUV. It just feels great. Even the shifter action feels great. I averaged 19mpg the whole time. We never saw higher than 14mpg in the 07 Escalade.

I would strongly not recommend owning one out of warranty. I hear the brakes/rotors wear out frequently and that expensive air suspension is known to have quirks. My .02
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 06:50 PM   #3
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BForbes View Post
My Father picked up the larger model a few weeks ago. They're constantly at the bottom of every list. He understands that and it shocks me. I had it for a weekend or two and it is definitely my favorite SUV. It just feels great. Even the shifter action feels great. I averaged 19mpg the whole time. We never saw higher than 14mpg in the 07 Escalade.

I would strongly recommend not owning one out of warranty. I hear the brakes/rotors wear out frequently and that expensive air suspension is known to have quirks. My .02
this lol
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 07:10 PM   #4
Boost Gomez
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
My dad has a Range Rover Sport and although it has had its share of initial problems he swears by it and as his daily driver it is at around 80,000 miles in about 3 years. It runs stronger than ever now and it's really a great, comfortable SUV with capabilities unmatched by anything else out there.
      12-03-2009, 07:58 PM   #5
MontegoGoGoGo
I'm kind of a bitch
United_States
Rep
Drives: Montego/Cream E93

Garage List
2007 E93  [0.00]
My mom has an 08 RR Sport, and she loves it. Although, she bought it new and has only put 3,000 miles on it, no problems so far.

She was afraid of the same thing, electrical problems etc. but two of her friends have 07 and 08s and no problems for them either.

I say go for it, the RR is a hot car, although the 2004 is the old body style, right? They may have also addressed and fixed the problems in the newer models and not the older ones?????

I'd stay away from the older models, especially if out of warranty.
      12-03-2009, 08:47 PM   #6
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

I was told they were awesome for extreme off roading.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
TunedM2C
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 LBB M2

I want a RRSS bad but the reports of poor reliability def. steer me away from them. I hope other people chime in with their experiences. I also wish they weren't so common around my area.
Appreciate 0
      12-03-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Epik
Awesome &amp;amp;amp; Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

They're at the bottom of every list but that's still not all that bad. The quality of cars in general today are all pretty damn good. The difference between 1st and last is not anything in comparison to cars 10 years ago.

So if you don't mind fixing something maybe once or twice a year, you should go with it and enjoy.
      12-04-2009, 01:39 AM   #9
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

I laughed at their commercial for claiming to be the most reliable or something of that sort.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #10
Amir87
Gruppe Titan
Pakistan
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [10.00]
My dad has a 05 RR HSE with the BMW motor, and its been ok service wise.

Coolant tank leak 3 times so far, replaced coolant tank 3 times. Random electronics are finicky like the ECU fan, locks, air suspension tank leaking, etc.

Overall, it's a good car, just costly repairs if out of warranty. This is a car you DONT WANT OUT OF WARRANTY.

Check out rangerovers.net for good info:

http://www.rangerovers.net/

Forum:

http://www.rangerovers.net/forum/
      12-04-2009, 08:13 AM   #11
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

it sucks big time. saw one last time with heavy smoke came out of it @ss and the interior looks so cheap.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 08:15 AM   #12
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

they are on every quality list as the dead last, is that something you really want?
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 08:32 AM   #13
lyndon_h
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90

Go to the LR forums. Even the owners say things like "Its unreliable but that a LR for you".
Of course, an owner will chime in and say that his has been reliable, but a larger sample shows otherwise. I think people should boycott LRs until they get their reliability up. The are great for offroading, but so is a LandCruiser, and they have bulletproof reliability.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 08:55 AM   #14
Epik
Awesome &amp;amp;amp; Likes Cookies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M5

Kia Borrego too.

Better car(reliability, mpg, warranty, technology, etc) w/o premium badge for 1/4 the price lol
      12-04-2009, 09:07 AM   #15
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Just make sure it has a warranty. My buddy bought a used Land Rover and ended up needing something like $8,000 worth of repairs under warranty less than a year later.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffnbluff View Post
Just make sure it has a warranty. My buddy bought a used Land Rover and ended up needing something like $8,000 worth of repairs under warranty less than a year later.
I have had a couple of friends with the same experience.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:36 AM   #17
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyndon_h View Post
Go to the LR forums. Even the owners say things like "Its unreliable but that a LR for you".
Of course, an owner will chime in and say that his has been reliable, but a larger sample shows otherwise. I think people should boycott LRs until they get their reliability up. The are great for offroading, but so is a LandCruiser, and they have bulletproof reliability.
I'll be that guy.

I'm on my third RR. it's an '01 4.6 HSE with 80k miles on it. Still has the air suspension, which works great (though if it goes bad, I'll probably replace it withthe Old Man Emu standard springs).

In the entire time I've owned it it's cost me $50 in repairs. My previous RR (a '95 Classic LWB) cost me about $400 in repairs over the 2.5 year span I owned it. The first RR I had (an '88 SWB) didn't cost anything in repairs, but it was an $800 beater that I simply left like that to go offroading in. Sold it for $800 a couple years after buying it). So while ONE RR might be a statistical fluke, I can't believe I'm "lucky" enough to buy three in a row that were great rigs. With that luck I should have been able to hit the lottery by now...

My current one is not my daily driver (that job is handled by the 740iL), and yet still has seen over 14k miles in the last year, mostly due to long road trips (up to Burlintong VT and back, down to Virginia Beach and back, up to Mt Washington, NH and back, lots of camping trips towing my travel trailer, etc).

They are like any luxury car: if you are at the mercy of the dealer to maintain and repair them, you WILL be raped on cost and end up thinking they are unreliable. I hear the same horror stories about the E38 that I have.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #18
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I had an '04 Disco and spent some time on the LR forums, while shopping for it, and after I bought it (I was considering the RR too). It seemed it was very hit-and-miss as far as failures, but when systems did fail, it was bad, and expensive. I can't remember if '04 is the newer RR body style, or if that was '05 (I think '04 was the new gen for the RR), but I know there have been plenty of people left riding on bump stops because of the air suspension system failure. Other odd bits like cracked headers, cracked heads, and electrical issues were on peoples' lists IIRC. Many people have never had problems, and others have been left by the side of the road multiple times.

Honestly, though, my wallet would feel more comfortable owning the RR out of warranty than my 335. My Disco had almost zero problems, and was by far the best truck I've ever owned or used. The only issue I had was with gas mileage (13mpg combined), and a failed cargo door lock actuator. And, man, did that truck own shit off-roading, too. LR builds impressive vehicles. They don't seem as much "utility" focused as they used to be, but they still have that personality you can't get elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:48 AM   #19
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir87 View Post
My dad has a 05 RR HSE with the BMW motor, and its been ok service wise.

Coolant tank leak 3 times so far, replaced coolant tank 3 times.
Exactly the same issues as the BMW 540 and 740. Damn cheap plastic expansion tanks.

Quote:
Overall, it's a good car, just costly repairs if out of warranty. This is a car you DONT WANT OUT OF WARRANTY.
Again, like ANY luxury car (hell any car period), especially if you cannot/will not do any DIY. That $50 repair I talked about on mine? It was replacing the spark plug wires, due to a misfire on #3 cyl (which when it stumbled and lit the CEL, I put my $49 OBDII code reader on it and got the code). The wire set was $50 with shipping (high performance 8mm silicone wire set), and it took about an hour to change all the wires. The dealer wanted $45 per wire and $500 to do the work. The guy I bought it from had the brakes replaced at 50k miles (don't know if they even needed it as I've had cars that during a routine dealer inspection were supposedly at 25% brakes left, and turned out to be actually in almost new condition), and was charged $2500. Parts cost at Atlantic British to do the complete job (rotors, sensors, pads, seals, etc) is only $350 and can easily be done in the driveway.

I've seen people get raped just as bad having their out of warranty Accords and Camrys worked on. Not to mention all teh BMWs on this forum would be expensive out of warranty if no one here worked on their own cars.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:54 AM   #20
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
They are like any luxury car: if you are at the mercy of the dealer to maintain and repair them, you WILL be raped on cost and end up thinking they are unreliable. I hear the same horror stories about the E38 that I have.
Two friends of mine own RRs and love them, and they say pretty much the same thing. One loves pointing out that you see tons of 100k+ mileage Range Rovers around, asking how do they accumulate so many miles if they're always broke or cost so much to run.

Liike the 7-series, I think it's less the cars and more the expectations people have them, and that most people buying them don't work on them. Everyone will tell you the early E65 745i is a maintenance nightmare, yet there are 50 near me with over 100k.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #21
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I can't remember if '04 is the newer RR body style, or if that was '05 (I think '04 was the new gen for the RR), but I know there have been plenty of people left riding on bump stops because of the air suspension system failure.
'03 was the first of the newer bodystyle, '02 was the final year for the P38 I have. '03 and '04 were the only of the newer bodystyle to have the BMW 4.4 engines (same as the engine in my 740iL), after that they went to the Jaguar V8.

Yeah, the air lines and air bags tend to go out, though these days a replacement bag and air line are quite cheap, and easy to replace, so having a spare of each on hand is all it takes. I like the air ride for the self leveling when I load it with the trailer (and the ease of hitching and unhitching simply by making it kneel)

Quote:
Other odd bits like cracked headers, cracked heads, and electrical issues were on peoples' lists IIRC. Many people have never had problems, and others have been left by the side of the road multiple times.
I've seen the same things on my 7 series forums. Most of the time, the ones that are the most problematic have been mal-treated by either owners or clueless independant shops.

Quote:
Honestly, though, my wallet would feel more comfortable owning the RR out of warranty than my 335. My Disco had almost zero problems, and was by far the best truck I've ever owned or used. The only issue I had was with gas mileage (13mpg combined), and a failed cargo door lock actuator. And, man, did that truck own shit off-roading, too. LR builds impressive vehicles. They don't seem as much "utility" focused as they used to be, but they still have that personality you can't get elsewhere.
Yeah, my favorite offroader so far was my '88. Slow, with the smallest, lowest hp engine of the three, and got the worst fuel mileage. But pretty much unstoppable offroad, and could turn in it's own length. My current one averages 18 mpg highway, even at 80 mph, and 16 while towing.

Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 09:58 AM   #22
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
it sucks big time. saw one last time with heavy smoke came out of it @ss and the interior looks so cheap.
You know what? I've seen your responses in a lot of threads lately and none of them have had any sort of intelligence behind them.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

Appreciate 0