E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Would you paint this?

03-13-2013, 12:37 AM   #1
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Would you paint this?

I just got some center caps for free but it turned out to cost a lot. I never knew axis center caps go for so much! It doesn't seem to flow with the color of my rims. On websites, they retail for 130+ new. I wanted to paint it red instead of having a gloss black background. So even though I got them free, would you paint $150 center caps. Btw, does anyone know if axis rev wheels are replicas or are they originals from axis? O.o
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #2
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

axis makes replicas. "original axis" is an oxymoron.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
axis makes replicas. "original axis" is an oxymoron.
That's what I was thinking but I couldn't seem to find any remotely close looking rims that looks like the axis rev. Bbs lm, work brombacher and vsxx look close but the spokes are way too long and they're flat where as the rev has bubble-like spokes. If they are reps, why are the center cap's pricing running along side bbs center caps ? It doesn't seem logical to represent a rep company when the real company's caps cost maybe a dollar or two more each cap... something about this wheel just doesn't make sense to me :/
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 01:54 PM   #4
edirtaynine
Major General
Rep
Drives: e92

axis wheels made their name back in the late 90s when they started copying "JDM wheel" companies like Advan (axis made their own copy of the white TC wheel). They're not "shitty" nor are they "great". They're just like any other brand making cast replicas of other wheel companies. They probably do have generic looking designs but you can tell they had no thought process going into the design and architecture of the wheel. Convex face with a flat lip and hard edge? That's a design goal for "fat lip" and nothing else. Fail.

jm3as hooks it up
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2013, 03:22 PM   #5
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by edirtaynine View Post
axis wheels made their name back in the late 90s when they started copying "JDM wheel" companies like Advan (axis made their own copy of the white TC wheel). They're not "shitty" nor are they "great". They're just like any other brand making cast replicas of other wheel companies. They probably do have generic looking designs but you can tell they had no thought process going into the design and architecture of the wheel. Convex face with a flat lip and hard edge? That's a design goal for "fat lip" and nothing else. Fail.
What do you mean by hard edge? The design does have a fat step lip, I wish they thought it out more, some of the finish in the rear barrel of the wheel was already slightly nicked and some of the paint was faded on it even though it was new directly from the factory. I do get what you mean though, if I'm gonna buy a replica rim, I would want something to be a replica because they don't make that certain rim style for euro cars. I read that axis is a good company and isn't as crappy as rota but I agree with the "not shitty nor great" part that you said, I hope that its still structurally strong
Appreciate 0