E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Custom sub install not working! Signal interruption...?

11-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #1
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N54

Custom sub install not working! Signal interruption...?

I've had an aftermarket sub in my car for years, and it hasn't worked for the last couple but I haven't had time to troubleshoot. I'm trying to figure it out, but logic fails me as I've checked and tried alternatives to the usual suspects.

The problem: My sub used to work, and work well! But ain't workin now, and I'm all but certain that it's an issue with the signal not making it to the amp. Hopefully I'm missing something obvious.

The details: I have an '08 335xi with Logic7. The aftermarket part consists of an RD Audio 12" sub and mono amp, with power running through a 1 farad capacitor, housed in the trunk. The original LOC was a PAC SOEM-T, but in trouble shooting, I've replaced it with a PAC LP7-2, but that didn't fix the problem. The amp is getting power and I've checked the connections, which all seem to be secure. The LOC is tapped into the Left/Right sub outs from the Logic7 amp and I've checked that they are spliced to correct wires, which they are.

I've included a few photos for reference. If I'm missing something here, or you need more info/photos, please let me know. Would reeeeaaalllly like to get this sorted out!

Thanks!

Pics:
Whole Setup
Sub
Amp/Cap
LOC
Amp power
LOC wiring 1
LOC wiring 2

Last edited by NoSole; 11-18-2016 at 12:14 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 06:27 PM   #2
Makeuwunder
First Lieutenant
Alderney
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Heres good info. http://www.bcae1.com/audiots.htm#demo
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 08:43 PM   #3
Slo2g
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Best advice, take a mulitmeter and see if your getting AC voltage to the input of the LOC. If not then the channel on the amp(factory) may be bad. If you are getting AC voltage that increases with volume then its something after that, so either the LOC, the interconnects(RCA's), Amp, or subwoofer.

Last edited by Slo2g; 11-18-2016 at 09:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2016, 11:48 PM   #4
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slo2g View Post
Best advice, take a mulitmeter and see if your getting AC voltage to the input of the LOC. If not then the channel on the amp(factory) may be bad. If you are getting AC voltage that increases with volume then its something after that, so either the LOC, the interconnects(RCA's), Amp, or subwoofer.
Hmm, well, the factory subs are still connected and work fine. I didn't clip those outs, just spliced the LOC inputs to 'em. The last two photos show this. I didn't take a multimeter to the LOC inputs because if the stock subs are still getting a signal. Why wouldn't the LOC... right? Or is my logic wrong?

The interconnects crossed my mind, so I'll try another set to see if those are the problem.

Will take read thru that link when I get home

thanks fellas
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 12:14 AM   #5
Slo2g
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

You can measure the interconnects the same way as speaker leads, the center pin is the positive and the outer shield is the negative. If that test good then test the output of the amplifier, same way. If that is good then you can check the resistance of the subwoofer. If the sub has a really high or "OL" then its either a blown subwoofer or a wire has come lose inside the box.
      11-19-2016, 07:56 PM   #6
NoSole
Bearquin by nature
United_States
Rep

Tested everything and Good news, Bad news....

Good... I know what the problem is.

Bad... the sub is blown

The sub has two sets of terminals that were bridged, and one set had zero resistance (as in OL).

Last edited by NoSole; 11-19-2016 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0