E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Any advice on double glazing?

01-04-2012, 08:59 PM   #1
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Any advice on double glazing?

Any folks knowledgable about windows and doors?

My home needs the windows/doors and fascias/bargeboards/guttering all replacing. I know literally nothing on the subject unfortunately, other than the fact I am going to have to part with an upsetting amount of cash!

I'm going to need 3x 3 pane windows, 2 x 2 pane windows, 3 small windows, one set of small french doors, one 3.5m wide sliding door and one front door. Plus all the fascias and gutters etc.

What sort of money am I going to be looking at?
Any recommendations for compaines? Are the big national ones like Everest, safestyle, anglian etc etc any good or should I use a local company?

I saw some windows with integral blinds between the panes once, absolutely loved them, are these mega money??

Thanks for any advice
Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 02:13 AM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Steve A used to do windows but not sure still does given his solar power venture - I'm sure he'll still have contacts and I'm pretty sure he's got guys nationwide (his quote for me was certainly reasonable but other things jumped the priority queue!).
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 03:26 AM   #3
jjbirch530d
Banned
Rep
Drives: bmw 5 series

never use any of the big company's like Everest, safestyle, anglian etc, best to find someone local and go and see his work, best to have a drive round swindon and find someone thats working on a job and ask him to price yours up,i tarmac,block paving trade and i heard very bad stories about high prices they charge for drives when they should be doing windows only,
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 03:29 AM   #4
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

If you have no joy via Mr Ashton let me know and I'll put you in touch with a friend of mine. He owns his own company, has been in the industry for 20-odd years and personally fits every single piece of whatever he sells.

He is only a small operation but I guarantee you won't find a more able or concientious fitter in the UK - he is that good. He deals with a vast range of suppliers and can offer what anyone else can in terms of products.

A lot of people deliberate for ages on what type of windows to have and don't even think about the install (just like in many things) and it's how whatever you pick is fitted that will ultimately govern how happy you are with it and how it will perform over the next 20-years.

Don't be seduced why a flash company brochure or website, only to find they send the YTS kid in to fit your windows....

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:15 AM   #5
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

Prices for this can be a joke ... a friend of mine used Anglian ... they quoted £26K for her 5 bed house in Surrey. It's not a posh house, nor indeed in a posh area ....just 5 bed. She hadn't got anywhere near that money and kept saying no ... until they came down ... to £11K !!! They did the work which is fine ... but it just goes to show what their mark up is for unsuspecting old people, etc !
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:46 AM   #6
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by SO8 View Post
Prices for this can be a joke ... a friend of mine used Anglian ... they quoted £26K for her 5 bed house in Surrey. It's not a posh house, nor indeed in a posh area ....just 5 bed. She hadn't got anywhere near that money and kept saying no ... until they came down ... to £11K !!! They did the work which is fine ... but it just goes to show what their mark up is for unsuspecting old people, etc !
On that basis alone I wouldn't use them.

Whenever I'm in that situation I always ask "How have you managed to find X% discount? Where has that come from?"

A 58% discount is a bit more than a sharpening of one's pencil.

When I started in sales one of the first things I was taught was not to be greedy and not to show that greed by discounting massively if things decended into a dutch auction; better to loose a sale but retain the potential of future sales than show your hand (and confirm you were ripping them off) and then loose any potential for dealing with them in the future.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #7
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Thanks guys, I should pay more attention to the fitter than the product seems to be the message - sound like good advice.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 06:45 AM   #8
mpgrant5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 cs + 340d

Hi I can give you some advice on the window side I have my own manufacturing company for the last 15 yrs although I supply the trade only. The big guys everest etc will charge u a fortune and the product is not always that good. Drop me a pm if u need any advice
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #9
chris_s1
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 E92 335d  [8.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgrant5 View Post
Hi I can give you some advice on the window side I have my own manufacturing company for the last 15 yrs although I supply the trade only. The big guys everest etc will charge u a fortune and the product is not always that good. Drop me a pm if u need any advice
Thanks very much, do you know anything about the windows with integral blinds?

What should I be looking at to replace my 3.5m wide sliding door? Its currently 2 large panes, one of which slides, but I don't really like it. Bi-fold?

Thanks
Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
mpgrant5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 cs + 340d

Hi Chris

Yes a bifold is the way to go with a 3.5m opening the blinds in the units are very very expensive

Martin
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 04:45 PM   #11
Brian mc21
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E91 320d M Sport

My present front door came from a local guy who seems to do shed loads of work locally. He is a friend of the ex wifes brother so i thought it should be alright. Been on for about seven or eight years now and have to say its pish. Looks like its bowed both length and width ways. Had a guy out a couple of times pricing a new one and his stuff looks well sturdy and worth the money so i suppose its like everything. Theres good stuff and theres pish like mine. Buy cheap buy twice..
RVF400
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Here's a good starting point -

http://www.fensa.co.uk/asp/member_search.asp

I'd personally go with an independent, and make sure it's the guy who owns the company is doing the work and it's not being subbed out.