E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Cracked wheels....bad times

01-30-2012, 09:48 AM   #1
T80RNY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 57' Black 320d M Sport Coupe

Cracked wheels....bad times

Found out last week that my 'slow puncture' was actually -

2 Cracks in my rear left alloy and
1 crack in my rear right alloy

After only owning the car for 10 days, not the happiest man in the world, but private sale, nothing I can do,

So I had them repaired and welded, not the best I know but had to do something temporarily.

Driving home saturday and my runflat light comes on the dash again, its still leaking by the looks of it!

So......off to BMW for a quote for 2 new wheels fitted and aligned, come out with a quotation of £1300, thanks for that.

Luckily my insurance company covers me for my wheels so I am having to claim through them for the damage, protected no claims luckily and only a £200 excess, hopefully have 2 brand new wheels fitted by the end of the week.

Does anyone elses BMW dealer deny all knowledge that they have ever heard of a 19" BMW alloy cracking because of run flat tyres and alloys made of cheese?!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #2
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I was in the same situation as yourself, had two slow punctures developed within a month or so of buying my car. My car still had a year left of the 3 year new car warranty but they still only replaced one saying the other was caused by potholes. How two wheels on the same car can crack in the same way can be blamed on two different things is beyond me.

Are you losing any no claims discount by claiming?
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
AdrianSi
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330d LCi MSport

Look above this thread and you'll see a 'sticky' thread dedicated to this subject...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
T80RNY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Luckily ive got protected no claims so I wont lose any of them, not sure if it will put my insurance up at all though!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #5
Mart1000
Capt Slow
Rep
Drives: Leon FR Supercopa

I'm in the process of claiming for damage caused overnight. I've protected no claims too and I've been told my premium will not be affected because of it.

I don't believe them for 1 minute
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:40 PM   #6
335ier
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F31 335d

Don't claim on your insurance they WILL screw you over. Insurance companys are b@stards.They all are in one way or another, what they verbally tell you isn't worth sh1t.
I suggest you go through ebay, they tend to be pretty cheap and plentiful on there.
If you can maybe you could change to a type that hasn't the reported problems. IE Star spoke 230s. (lovely wheel)
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:00 PM   #7
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mart1000 View Post
I'm in the process of claiming for damage caused overnight. I've protected no claims too and I've been told my premium will not be affected because of it.

I don't believe them for 1 minute
It does make a difference.

They always ask how many years NCB you have followed by how many claims in the last 5 years. If it really protected NCB and they honoured your NCB discount there would be no.need to ask about your claims.

Forget £1500 if the damage is as bad as it sounds.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335ier View Post
If you can maybe you could change to a type that hasn't the reported problems. IE Star spoke 230s. (lovely wheel)
They are a lovely wheel (230's), however they do crack just like the 225's do, along with the MV3's and a whole host of other BMW wheels.

BMW wheels + runflats = a marriage made in hell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerr View Post
It does make a difference.

They always ask how many years NCB you have followed by how many claims in the last 5 years. If it really protected NCB and they honoured your NCB discount there would be no.need to ask about your claims.

Forget £1500 if the damage is as bad as it sounds.
Most insurers allow a certain number of claims over a differing (depends on insurer) amount of years.
Some insurers allow 2 claims,others 3 yrs before it impacts on your NCB.

Your insurance premium and NCB are two different things.
A claim will impact on your premium, invariably pushing it up, the NCB will discount (by the yrs you have earnt) the premium which has now been increased by the claim.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #9
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Bottom line is that any claim whether your fault or not will affect what you pay, it doesn't matter either whether you have protected NCB, all that does is limit the amount of the increase.

I would be sourcing some wheels myself and leave insurers out of it.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #10
SeanH
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F30 340i M-Sport Alpine White

I'm v worried about these cracked alloys and I have a set of MV3s... Went over a v nice pothole this morning on my way to work, hope it hasn't affected the alloy.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:35 PM   #11
the_rangdo
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 528i F11 (2015)

I had guaranteed NCD, someone rear-ended me, their company paid up as it was entirely the 3rd party fault.

My insurance still went up 30% at renewal as apparently being hit by someone else makes me more likely to have an accident.

Your NCD might be protected but the base premium is entirely flexible.
      01-30-2012, 03:24 PM   #12
mikeouk
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 325D m sport

bin the wheels and buy a new set of after market rims with non rft's, its the way to go, car will look more individual, and the ride will be miles better. OEM wheels with rft's are pants.

BLUE WATER, CORAL RED LEATHER
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_rangdo View Post
I had guaranteed NCD, someone rear-ended me, their company paid up as it was entirely the 3rd party fault.

My insurance still went up 30% at renewal as apparently being hit by someone else makes me more likely to have an accident.

Your NCD might be protected but the base premium is entirely flexible.
Statistically, most people INVOLVED in an incident, regrdless of fault, will have another within the next year.

Not my stats, but one trotted out by those with the data.

I suppose its fair to say some doddey old gits end up being 'victims' due to their stupidity and are indeed likely to do the same thing twice
      01-30-2012, 04:26 PM   #14
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeouk View Post
bin the wheels and buy a new set of after market rims with non rft's, its the way to go, car will look more individual, and the ride will be miles better. OEM wheels with rft's are pants.
Quite.
I keep my mint 230s for a rainy day spare.
The Alufelgen CSL reps are the hard wearing 'winter' and 'wife proof' wheel.
      01-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
T80RNY
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I have gone on the assumption my insurance increase will be alot less than £1k as that is the difference between my excess and the cost! I have gone through insurance saying I hit a speed bump to hard, they seemed happy with it!