E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > 2013 Track Dates (Quebec, Ontario and U.S. North East)

10-16-2013, 02:09 AM   #1013
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
I think jgalaxy is going one of those days.

BTW Joel, How was Mosport yesterday?
The Chumpcar event Sat/Sun was fun. Met up with "Big Deal", "M4L" and "CRX" teams Sat eve. Helped out Big Deal a bit in the pits on Sunday. Crazy rain at times. Tons of great driving. Some of the times put down with those cars and street tires are astounding. Lots of respect to all the teams in the rain.

CRX team lining up to pass Big Deal on the outside of 2 - well almost

They pounded out a few dents. The car kept racing.

Now it is time to save up my pop bottle money to build a Chumpcar.

Sunday's ASE event was awesome. No point-by, near racing event right out of the gates. I got in some good practice passing (and the odd block) without the point-by restriction. Very damp and cold in the morning. By 11am the track was fully dry. Not before claiming a few cars. I'm not sure why people did not listen to Carl.

Instructor Seb showed me some new tricks. Ass puckering to say the least when you first try it.

Mosport is a wonderful track as you know. Canadian Tire is still making upgrades and will likely cease to offer HPDE/Lapping there, or if they do, it will be at a premium. The lapping clubs will likely be relegated to whatever becomes of the oval thingy after it is upgraded.

Last edited by jgalaxy; 10-16-2013 at 02:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 01:00 PM   #1014
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: A Car

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post

Mosport is a wonderful track as you know. Canadian Tire is still making upgrades and will likely cease to offer HPDE/Lapping there, or if they do, it will be at a premium. The lapping clubs will likely be relegated to whatever becomes of the oval thingy after it is upgraded.
CTMP has already come out and said that clubs will still be able to use the GP track. Basically, all of the big clubs and corporate events will still be able to use the big track. The number of days available will become scarcer, given that they are trying to bring in larger events. DDT will be used for all other events, and for new clubs etc., this will be the only track they can rent until the build a rapport with CTMP. That being said, they tore up DDT completely and it looks like they're building a new track pretty much from scratch. I can't wait to see what DDT is going to be like next year!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 03:13 PM   #1015
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall View Post
CTMP has already come out and said that clubs will still be able to use the GP track. Basically, all of the big clubs and corporate events will still be able to use the big track. The number of days available will become scarcer, given that they are trying to bring in larger events. DDT will be used for all other events, and for new clubs etc., this will be the only track they can rent until the build a rapport with CTMP. That being said, they tore up DDT completely and it looks like they're building a new track pretty much from scratch. I can't wait to see what DDT is going to be like next year!
oooh... Max's track graphic on his car will be obsolete... hmmm I Wonder if he has changed car and moved out west now....
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2013, 07:08 PM   #1016
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
oooh... Max's track graphic on his car will be obsolete... hmmm I Wonder if he has changed car and moved out west now....
Max has made his way out to San Francisco, but he's still got the M3. I believe he's 3rd or 4th on the list at his dealership down there for a GT3, so he's still got a bit to wait.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 05:23 PM   #1017
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Chump at Mosport (posted by 240zgtr from Montreal Racing)

Sed D (of the famed Octopus Z06) riding the battered CRX in the rain:

Not sure which team they were, but you got to love those antlers and led strip lighting. Looked great from the pits.
      10-18-2013, 01:22 PM   #1018
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
^ The team with the antlers was Bucksnort Racing. They were the only American team to make it up to the race.

Here's a picture of our car coming down the front straight at the Mosport Chumpcar race.

Name:  Chump Oct 2013 - 05.jpg
Views: 385
Size:  227.6 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 02:42 PM   #1019
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
^ The team with the antlers was Bucksnort Racing. They were the only American team to make it up to the race.

Here's a picture of our car coming down the front straight at the Mosport Chumpcar race.

Attachment 928554
Nice car, looks too much in good shape for a Chumpcar

What is AIV for?
      10-18-2013, 03:41 PM   #1020
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Nice car, looks too much in good shape for a Chumpcar
Well.... Not after Sunday. One of our drivers ended up backing it into a wall and pretty much totalled the car (the chassis buckled, and when the exhuast got pushed back it caused the head gasket to rip). Driver was fine though.

Quote:
What is AIV for?
AIV stands for Accepted Internet Value. It's the way Chumpcar (used to) determine how much a car was worth. There is an exception list as well, and as long as you run a stock car that's on the list, you don't have to go through the AIV process.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 05:12 PM   #1021
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well.... Not after Sunday. One of our drivers ended up backing it into a wall and pretty much totalled the car (the chassis buckled, and when the exhuast got pushed back it caused the head gasket to rip). Driver was fine though.

AIV stands for Accepted Internet Value. It's the way Chumpcar (used to) determine how much a car was worth. There is an exception list as well, and as long as you run a stock car that's on the list, you don't have to go through the AIV process.
Ah crap, hopefully the race ending incident happened at the end, after all drivers got to get behind the wheel.

Thanks for the chumpcar language info.

Maybe one day!!!
      10-18-2013, 05:49 PM   #1022
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Ah crap, hopefully the race ending incident happened at the end, after all drivers got to get behind the wheel.

Maybe one day!!!
$500 AIV from 10 adds, safety requirements, your entry/lic fee and your basically good to go.
      10-18-2013, 05:52 PM   #1023
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Did you drive, just help in the pits or there as team spirit?

I loved the SUV look. You didnt want to cut the springs?
      10-18-2013, 06:17 PM   #1024
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:

Maybe one day!!!
Well, we were two stints from the end, so only 2 of the four drivers got any real time in the car. Either way, Saturday was an absolute blast. (One of our drivers couldn't make Sunday, so he lucked out).

Quote:
Did you drive, just help in the pits or there as team spirit?

I loved the SUV look. You didnt want to cut the springs?

I drove as well - that's actually me driving in the picture. We've got a 5 member team, and everyone on the team gets a drive.

We got tons of compliments on our (literally) 4" of wheel gap. One of the tech inspectors thought we installed a lift kit We were running stock suspension and OEM replacement shocks. The car was pretty easy to handle, so we decided to leave the suspension alone. It's amazing to think that's what the car was like when it was new! Either way, it was just so much fun to drive. Who would think you could have so much fun in a ~100HP car!?

We'll be back next year, stronger than ever. We're planning on fielding two cars, a 924S and a 944.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 09:54 PM   #1025
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Well, we were two stints from the end, so only 2 of the four drivers got any real time in the car. Either way, Saturday was an absolute blast. (One of our drivers couldn't make Sunday, so he lucked out).

I drove as well - that's actually me driving in the picture. We've got a 5 member team, and everyone on the team gets a drive.

We got tons of compliments on our (literally) 4" of wheel gap. One of the tech inspectors thought we installed a lift kit We were running stock suspension and OEM replacement shocks. The car was pretty easy to handle, so we decided to leave the suspension alone. It's amazing to think that's what the car was like when it was new! Either way, it was just so much fun to drive. Who would think you could have so much fun in a ~100HP car!?

We'll be back next year, stronger than ever. We're planning on fielding two cars, a 924S and a 944.
Your car was the cleanest looking of them all and I also liked the lift kit look.

EC class? I havent seen a working $500 924 or 944 before ...
      10-18-2013, 10:29 PM   #1026
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Your car was the cleanest looking of them all and I also liked the lift kit look.

EC class? I havent seen a working $500 924 or 944 before ...
LOL. We always joked about starting a Chumpcar Concours show!

As for the 924 and 944, there are some rule changes next year that will let us run these cars with a low value. Next year, the 924 is valued at $250 and the 944 will be $475. One of our teammates is a Master Porsche Tech who also happens to own a 924 which we're going to chump. We're hoping this will give us a leg up on the competition next year.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 10:41 PM   #1027
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Everything stockish, but brakes are allowed to be enhanced slightly, what did you use? PFC 08 pads on stock rotors and calipers?
      10-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #1028
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
LOL. We always joked about starting a Chumpcar Concours show!

As for the 924 and 944, there are some rule changes next year that will let us run these cars with a low value. Next year, the 924 is valued at $250 and the 944 will be $475. One of our teammates is a Master Porsche Tech who also happens to own a 924 which we're going to chump. We're hoping this will give us a leg up on the competition next year.
If it doesnt give you an edge, it will be one fun ride in any case. I havent seen any of the changes for next year, so I guess now is a good time to bone up.
      10-19-2013, 09:59 AM   #1029
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
Everything stockish, but brakes are allowed to be enhanced slightly, what did you use? PFC 08 pads on stock rotors and calipers?
We used Pagid RS19 for pads on stock rotors and Castrol SRF. That gave us more than enough stopping power (was probably overkill).

Next year, it looks like fluids will still be open, but pads will now fall under the 2X rule (pads can't cost more than twice the OEM replacement pads listed on CarParts.com or NAPA), so the Pagids will be out. We'll probably move to StopTech Performance pads.

Quote:
If it doesnt give you an edge, it will be one fun ride in any case. I havent seen any of the changes for next year, so I guess now is a good time to bone up.
The Chumpcar rules for 2014-2016 are now up at http://www.chumpcar.com/rules.php. If you're looking at racing in a series, I would definitely start here. The races are held at great tracks, huge amount of seat time, very reasonable track fees and the people are just fantastic. The rules for next year (particularly around valuing a car) are massively different than previous years, so the E30 will become less competitive (in non-stock form). Looks like Mopar 4 Life will still be the team to beat next year.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 04:40 PM   #1030
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
We used Pagid RS19 for pads on stock rotors and Castrol SRF. That gave us more than enough stopping power (was probably overkill).

Next year, it looks like fluids will still be open, but pads will now fall under the 2X rule (pads can't cost more than twice the OEM replacement pads listed on CarParts.com or NAPA), so the Pagids will be out. We'll probably move to StopTech Performance pads.

The Chumpcar rules for 2014-2016 are now up at http://www.chumpcar.com/rules.php. If you're looking at racing in a series, I would definitely start here. The races are held at great tracks, huge amount of seat time, very reasonable track fees and the people are just fantastic. The rules for next year (particularly around valuing a car) are massively different than previous years, so the E30 will become less competitive (in non-stock form). Looks like Mopar 4 Life will still be the team to beat next year.
Good to see there aren't many changes from 2013 with the exception of the revised car valuation list. Now it's all about finding a car that will last and dealing with the craziness on the track. I wish I could wrench - so I'll be relegated to buy a seat on a team that has mechanically inclined folks.
      10-20-2013, 07:46 PM   #1031
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

I would think a 20 year old honda civic si or Acura integra would be a great chump car. Lol

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 08:09 AM   #1032
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Montreal View Post
I would think a 20 year old honda civic si or Acura integra would be a great chump car. Lol
The Civics are pretty popular cars here for Chumpcar. In the US we see a larger range. I wouldnt mind trying to find a Chevy SS class to run in Chump. Its trying to find one in Canada that works that would be the challenge.
      10-21-2013, 10:13 AM   #1033
sawzall
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2012 911S  [10.00]
2011 911 GT3 RS  [0.00]
Quote:
And you would think right! We were getting walked by all the civics that were out there. Once you've got them stripped, they pretty much weigh nothing, and those Honda engines just keep going.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:40 PM   #1034
M3 Montreal
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 M3 SG ,DCT & 2011 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawzall
Quote:
And you would think right! We were getting walked by all the civics that were out there. Once you've got them stripped, they pretty much weigh nothing, and those Honda engines just keep going.
I was at Icar a couple years ago and the fastest car around the track was a stripped (roll cage and full strip) honda civic hatchback.

That thing was insane fast even on the straights. Not sure what he had done to the engine but I couldn't catch him on the straights with my E92 M3!

2011 B8 S4 S-Tronic , Black on magma red
Appreciate 0