E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iPhone5 to BMW E90 non-iDrive help

05-31-2013, 08:43 PM   #1
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

iPhone5 to BMW E90 non-iDrive help

Hi All,

I did do some searching, but it seems that other topics covered slightly different topics.

I purchased an iPhone 5 today, and I have a 2007 E90 non-iDrive with the premium package (not sure if that matters) and I would like to connect the phone to it. I don't care about music, I just want to be able to make and receive calls. I pressed the "menu" button on the radio > phone > search for Bluetooth devices, but I can't get the iPhone and car to talk. Bluetooth IS turned on on the iPhone, but the phone will not list the car under compatible pairing devices, and both devices go into a perpetual state of searching. I did have the car running when I tried this.

Can anyone point me to the right process to get this working? I really hope I don't need cables, etc. That defeats the purpose of Bluetooth for me.

Any help would be appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:08 PM   #2
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

No one?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Hmm not sure if its different or not but I have a Iphone 4s and I got mine to connect, I have my contact book on my Radio screen and everything. Even says "mitchells Iphone" (that's my name)
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #4
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernCAE90 View Post
Hmm not sure if its different or not but I have a Iphone 4s and I got mine to connect, I have my contact book on my Radio screen and everything. Even says "mitchells Iphone" (that's my name)
I think I got it to work. I believe the error was created by me.

I do have another question.... Is there any way to sync my phone contacts with the car? When I say "dial name" it tells me the car's phone book is empty (I tried "dial number" and it works fine). My phone contacts display on the radio screen, but I can't access them via voice commands. Any ideas?

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
mikeadams2k
Rep
Drives: 2013 528i Sedan

Quote:
orginally posted by WOT Bimmer
I do have another question.... Is there any way to sync my phone contacts with the car? When I say "dial name" it tells me the car's phone book is empty (I tried "dial number" and it works fine). My phone contacts display on the radio screen, but I can't access them via voice commands. Any ideas?
I believe you have to create the phone book yourself. If you activate the voice command system and say 'help', it should give you a list of voice commands.

If I remember correctly, you say 'save name', then the system will prompt 'say name'. After you say the name, it will prompt for the number. Once you've said the number, the system will reply 'continue'. Say 'save name' again and the name and number will be saved to the phone book. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #6
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeadams2k View Post
I believe you have to create the phone book yourself. If you activate the voice command system and say 'help', it should give you a list of voice commands.

If I remember correctly, you say 'save name', then the system will prompt 'say name'. After you say the name, it will prompt for the number. Once you've said the number, the system will reply 'continue'. Say 'save name' again and the name and number will be saved to the phone book. Hope this helps.
Thanks for the help! That is what I thought it was.... It's too bad you can't sync the phone phonebook with the car's phonebook. That would be much easier than creating new contacts in the car's phonebook.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:39 AM   #7
Castle
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 320i

Weird. My car's phonebook is synced with the phone's all the time. I've never done anything to that effect. My phone is Android, not an Iphone.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
WOT Bimmer
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castle View Post
Weird. My car's phonebook is synced with the phone's all the time. I've never done anything to that effect. My phone is Android, not an Iphone.
I guess I should clarify.... My phone's contacts ARE sync'd with the car, but I can't access them via voice commands. I can access and use them via the buttons on the dash, but I can't say (ie.) "dial Dad" unless "Dad" is saved to the car's phonebook.
Appreciate 0