E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Decided on Dinan over Procede/JB3 -- childish to want the badge?

05-13-2010, 09:39 AM   #67
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: e92 335 - gone // e36 M3 turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
It sounds like you like making excuses to be slower.

Tell me this...

If the DME controls ignition more or less on all tunes, and the DME controls A/F more or less, and both tunes can run the same boost, what part of quality does dinan offer over joe shmoe tune?

Throttle response and driveability are the only thing to distinguish tunes and bells and whistles.

Don't even respond to this.... I already know what your answer is going to be. An over-elaborate excuse to make us think Dinan is prestigious and slower thats why you do it. As I said in this thread or another, I dont give a sh*t if mickey mouse made the tune.... does it work for my needs and my car and I find value in the price... Yes... Done.

You want to spend 3x more money on a tune and it helps you sleep at night, good for you. Just dont preach like its the best thing since sliced bread, and if you arent, then good we are on the same page after all.

very well put. Some people love Dinan for the warranty....just like Tommy Boy said, 'I can take a shit in a box if you want me to and put a warranty on it"
      05-13-2010, 09:47 AM   #68
ridin135
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleM135i View Post
If money is your issue then why go with the Concede over the JB3?
I have both but I personally like the procede more.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 10:21 AM   #69
Sal Collaziano
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryS View Post
Haha. $120. You can buy the individual letters from Bimmian for $2.80 each.

http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/bimm...om/BI-BE39-CBL
I just got mine for $19.00... If I stick this on my car, I'm going to terrorize all the piggybackers who think I'm running Dinan.
      05-13-2010, 11:16 AM   #70
Tiago@VRSF
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
You'd do some good replacing runflats with a better less expensive conventional tire
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 11:28 AM   #71
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
Agreed! Except then I wouldn't have a spare. I've had many issues with the runflats, but at least they "run flat"

ditch the runflats please!!!!

get a continental mobility kit from tirerack
      05-13-2010, 11:46 AM   #72
mkaaes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2 C4S

A quote by road&track from oct 17 2008

Key to the transformation was Dinan's cracking the encryption of BMW's engine-management computers — a process that has taken years, a brain trust of software personnel and copious infusions of cash. Less determined competitors have either folded under the strain or simply reverted to piggyback engine controllers.
      05-13-2010, 11:52 AM   #73
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkaaes View Post
A quote by road&track from oct 17 2008

Key to the transformation was Dinan's cracking the encryption of BMW's engine-management computers — a process that has taken years, a brain trust of software personnel and copious infusions of cash. Less determined competitors have either folded under the strain or simply reverted to piggyback engine controllers.

thanks for the 2 year old quote from a less than biased source. Well done.

lets get Road and Track to do an honest test on a Dinan software tuned car vs a Procede or JB3 car on the track and on the street and we'll see what they say. it wont be pretty for the Dinan......
      05-13-2010, 11:54 AM   #74
M4TW
///M Uber Alles
Canada
Rep
Drives: '15 MW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by illone View Post
It definitely doesn't smell good, unless you like the scent of a lawnmower.

I can't smell it in the cabin with the windows down, though, so only you would smell it as I drop 3rd gear and put some car lengths on ya.

Truth be told, I like the smell of lawnmower. So cats off to you!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPSlick View Post
It sounds like you like making excuses to be slower.

Tell me this...

If the DME controls ignition more or less on all tunes, and the DME controls A/F more or less, and both tunes can run the same boost, what part of quality does dinan offer over joe shmoe tune?

Throttle response and driveability are the only thing to distinguish tunes and bells and whistles.

Don't even respond to this.... I already know what your answer is going to be. An over-elaborate excuse to make us think Dinan is prestigious and slower thats why you do it. As I said in this thread or another, I dont give a sh*t if mickey mouse made the tune.... does it work for my needs and my car and I find value in the price... Yes... Done.

You want to spend 3x more money on a tune and it helps you sleep at night, good for you. Just dont preach like its the best thing since sliced bread, and if you arent, then good we are on the same page after all.

But here is the problem with your post, you buy mods, and know there are faster options, yet you say you care about performance....

Now its one thing for someone to say, I know there are faster options, but they are more expensive thats why I dont buy them fine...

But you bought the more expensive slower option..... but you care about performance, thats why you bought the slower one?

Ugh
You need to confront your anti-Dinan biases. Steve Dinan has posted an informative "white paper" on safety strategies in tuning the N54 engine that you should consider reading (if you care about having an informed opinion about the issue):

http://www.dinancars.com/assets/File...%20revised.pdf

The maximum boost that you'll see out of a Dinan tune is 14 psi. Also it does tapper quite a bit after 6,000 rpm. That's why I still aim my shift points at 6,200. The reason is uncle Steve doesn't want use spinning our turbos that fast or cooking our engines. That's his call. He's the one backstopping BMW's warranty.

That said, the piggybacks have come along way. We aren't hearing any reports of blown turbos or cooked engines, so these engines are perhaps tougher than Steve may think. You can accuse Dinan of being too conservative, but you won't be hearing it from me. Once again, he's making the bet and I plan on keeping my car a long time.

I can say, if you care at all, that I'm getting very smooth linear power up to 6,000. I've also have had no hassles from my non-Dinan dealer about my tune, nor have my tune and supporting mods given me any problems. I've sunk a lot into it no doubt, but I do enjoy the instant ON smooth power.

The last time I went to the track I lined up twice against a new Camero SS with some performance mods and PNY KLR for plates. I beat him both times by a couple of car lengths. I also had someone asking me if my car was a special edition with a V-12 or something. That's what it's about, not trying to beat up on your fellow 335 bros.

So happy hunting (Cameros and such, not 335's) and enjoy your ride!
      05-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #75
Garissimo
Captain
Rep
Drives: 4 doors, 6 gears, 8 cylinders

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post

BTW, someone said something earlier about all the problems with JB and Procede cars. There is a very simple answer to that. There are a LOT more cars out there that are using those products over Dinan.
You are quite misinformed. Dinan was averaging 200 flashes a month in mid 2008. It's now mid 2010. Do the math. As far as the problems go, the simple answer is that Shiv and Terry are basically using their customer base as beta testers, and, they're starting from an inherent disadvantage from a system design perspective. Half the job of their piggybacks is to keep an ECU - that gets firmware updates from BMW on a regular basis - from throwing codes or going into limp mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGarbagePrince View Post
In closing, I will leave you with a funny but true exchange from the movie "Tommy Boy".
Yeah, that was funny 10 years ago.
      05-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #76
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
IMO, this is all BS. Dinan doesn't run boost above 14psi. Set the Procede and JB3 to not boost over 14psi and call it a day. Most problem that occur are users experimenting at those higher boost level without the supporting modes or right fuel octane. GIAC even sets you up a different flash map for a higher octane level.

On the warranty side, why would anyone offer warranty other than their product. I won't sell you a keyboard and tell you if anything happens with your computer I will replace that too. I agree with the above post on the Tommy Boy movie reference. Most customers who are buying a Dinan tune, are comfortable with the warranty they offer and not the tune, as there are other cheaper alternatives. On what a flash company does a month is irrelevant of what tune is better. All that number shows is how many customers are more comfortable with a warranty.
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 01:42 PM   #77
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garissimo View Post
You are quite misinformed. Dinan was averaging 200 flashes a month in mid 2008. It's now mid 2010. Do the math. As far as the problems go, the simple answer is that Shiv and Terry are basically using their customer base as beta testers, and, they're starting from an inherent disadvantage from a system design perspective. Half the job of their piggybacks is to keep an ECU - that gets firmware updates from BMW on a regular basis - from throwing codes or going into limp mode.

Yeah, that was funny 10 years ago.
and its still hilarious today, dont hate on Tommy Boy just because you want defend your Dinan purchase

its actually a funny reference for this discussion, which is why I brought it up.
      05-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #78
Sniz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltecBX View Post
IMO, this is all BS. Dinan doesn't run boost above 14psi. Set the Procede and JB3 to not boost over 14psi and call it a day. Most problem that occur are users experimenting at those higher boost level without the supporting modes or right fuel octane. GIAC even sets you up a different flash map for a higher octane level.

On the warranty side, why would anyone offer warranty other than their product. I won't sell you a keyboard and tell you if anything happens with your computer I will replace that too. I agree with the above post on the Tommy Boy movie reference. Most customers who are buying a Dinan tune, are comfortable with the warranty they offer and not the tune, as there are other cheaper alternatives. On the about of flashes a company does is irrelevant of what tune is better. All that number shows is how many customers are more comfortable with a warranty
exactly, get Dinan to offer a 17psi tune on meth and warranty that....and THEN they will have the true enthusiasts flocking to them for their warranty.

14psi has been proven for years as a very very safe tune level. I understand why Steve would stop at that level, he doesnt want to pay back any $$ just like an insurance company wants to keep their $$.

In my eyes Dinan is actually pretty handcuffed by their warranty. They cant push the envolope at all due to their business model.
      05-14-2010, 03:14 AM   #79
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridin135 View Post
lol well make sure you enjoy it while it lasts. Once you get hitched car spending gets thrown out the window.
Depends on the type of woman you get hitched with. I certainly don't have this problem with my wife...

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 05:36 AM   #80
GaryS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 6MT

Garage List
2009 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
my car was fast before, but now it's stupid fast.
Just adding, some other differences besides WOT gains. With Stage 2, my car idles a few hundred RPMs lower and considerably steadier than stock; and it drives much more smoothly than stock at near idle speeds under 10 mph.

Ordinary driving is also smoother than stock, partly because of a kind of progressive throttle effect (it gets more and more sensitive the harder you press), but also because it really is smoother - it just feels like a better engine.

On the downside, despite the famous water pump speeds, my oil temps are running consistently 10 degrees warmer than stock.

I haven't noticed any difference in MPG, but it's hard to tell when I'm racing around like a kid with his new toy.

Meanwhile, my CAI should arrive in another week or two.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 12:57 PM   #81
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniz View Post
exactly, get Dinan to offer a 17psi tune on meth and warranty that....and THEN they will have the true enthusiasts flocking to them for their warranty.

14psi has been proven for years as a very very safe tune level. I understand why Steve would stop at that level, he doesnt want to pay back any $$ just like an insurance company wants to keep their $$.

In my eyes Dinan is actually pretty handcuffed by their warranty. They cant push the envolope at all due to their business model.
All depends on how extreme you want to be, and Dinan's tune limitations are fine with me. You and all the other Dinan knockers on here just don't seem to get that. Your opinion is that if you don't get the most extreme tune for your dollar, there's something wrong with you. I, on the other hand, think that if you want to push the envelope and hide from the dealer/BMWNA, that's your business. I'm not out to have the fastest car on the road, but that seems to be all you guys can think about. You obviously didn't comprehend what I was saying - I like performance, I just don't like going to extremes. Being an engineer myself, I like what Steve Dinan comes up with and dont mind paying more for it because his model suits my purposes. The other tuners are obviously very talented and their products cost less and are enjoyed by many, but aren't my cup of tea, and probably not the OP''s either.

We straight now?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 01:18 PM   #82
BoostedTerp
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundel335 View Post
All depends on how extreme you want to be, and Dinan's tune limitations are fine with me. You and all the other Dinan knockers on here just don't seem to get that. Your opinion is that if you don't get the most extreme tune for your dollar, there's something wrong with you. I, on the other hand, think that if you want to push the envelope and hide from the dealer/BMWNA, that's your business. I'm not out to have the fastest car on the road, but that seems to be all you guys can think about. You obviously didn't comprehend what I was saying - I like performance, I just don't like going to extremes. Being an engineer myself, I like what Steve Dinan comes up with and dont mind paying more for it because his model suits my purposes. The other tuners are obviously very talented and their products cost less and are enjoyed by many, but aren't my cup of tea, and probably not the OP''s either.

We straight now?

Couldn't have said it better. I don't need the extra power. What I have on this car with the S2 flash is very enjoyable to me in day to day driving, and the comfort of not having to hide anything from the dealer/BMW is a big plus. My previous car laid about 500whp to the ground, if all I was concerned about was hp I never would have sold that car
      05-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #83
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Question for Dinan users. I have a CPO 335. If I were to get a Dinan tune and they do not match the CPO warranty. What would happen if I were to have a problem with a turbo, etc. I'm assuming BMW would blame the Dinan tune no matter what and I would be SOL. Correct?
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 03:29 PM   #84
MKR_DmD
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 16 Jeep Cherokee

That would be my guess. BMW would say it was the tune and you will be SOL.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 03:33 PM   #85
huyner328
Former N54 Fanatic
Rep
Drives: Slow

Garage List
Yea, it's a sticky situation when it comes to mods and warranty as this has been discussed in depth since the birth of the N54. I think the best advice I've seen on this forum was, if you have any doubts or concerns about your warranty... just don't mod and wait. (Yes, this could be a difficult task seeing as how you're on a forum with a bunch of car crazy enthusiasts.)
      05-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #86
WWM3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivinMissDaisy View Post
That would be my guess. BMW would say it was the tune and you will be SOL.
Yeah. I agree.
Appreciate 0