E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Clunking noise after rear brake replacment...dealer says it's normal???

03-29-2012, 10:41 AM   #1
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Clunking noise after rear brake replacment...dealer says it's normal???

Hey everyone,

Recently had my rear brakes changed, both pads and rotors. After picking up the car, I noticed when I reverse, and then apply the brakes, a somewhat loud clunk is heard from the rear left side of my car.

After taking it back to the dealer twice to investigate this, they came back and said it is "normal". They claim it is due to the brake pad bracket having some play in it that allows for worn pads, or something of that nature.

After asking the SA multiple times why this never occured in my previous pad replacement he more or less assured me it was normal. He also assured me this would not damage my brakes.

What do you guys think? Any advice would be helpful.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 01:02 PM   #2
therealm3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 340 MSport

My 335 does the same. The pads do shift a tad in the caliper/carrier. It was shocking to me too given no other BMW I've owned on factory pads has done this. Sometimes aftermarket stuff is a little off, but I expect more from the factory. The SA is right, it won't really do anything other than be annoying. FWIW our 328 does not do it.

Last edited by therealm3; 03-29-2012 at 02:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 03:06 PM   #3
TwinTurboXI
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealm3 View Post
My 335 does the same. The pads do shift a tad in the caliper/carrier. It was shocking to me too given no other BMW I've owned on factory pads has done this. Sometimes aftermarket stuff is a little off, but I expect more from the factory. The SA is right, it won't really do anything other than be annoying. FWIW our 328 does not do it.
I appreciate your reply. I suppose I am a little more confident now that the SA wasn't lying to me given you situation. However, I stopped by another dealership in the area and spoke with their master tech and another SA. Both of them told me this was not "normal" and that they had never previously experienced this.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #4
mid-corner fun
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, '22 X3MC

Not normal for factory pads. Take it to the other dealership and let them fix it.
Appreciate 0