E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Car Overheating

01-03-2013, 10:42 AM   #1
Fpaliwala
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Car Overheating

I just did a coolant flush last week. I was having troubel getting the water pump to start the venting process, but it eventually did it. The car was running fine for about 3 days. Then on the fourth day after driving for about 20 minutes on highway the overheat light came then quickly turned red. I put an OBD scan tool on the car and no codes came up. I belive its the water pump, but is there any way for me to verify this before droping $500 bucks on a new pump and thermostat? Could it be anything else?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 02:10 PM   #2
Simon.bmw
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 323I.

Same issue last month,

Paid $11xx for stealship to fixed.

pump and thermostat
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2013, 06:48 PM   #3
Aperture Vision
Rep
Drives: 2006 e90 325i

I just replaced my coolant pump and thermostat myself. My scan tool couldn't tell me if it was the pump or not, so I took it to a local shop that did a scan and it came up with the pump and tstat being bad. Once I got under the car I saw the pump was disconnected electrically, so I plugged it up and the car still overheated. The tstat was still bad, but I replaced the pump anyways since I was there. I paid like $450 in parts (pump, tstat, and coolant) and about 3.5 hours of my own time replacing it. Only thing you can do is get it scanned with a tool that is capable of checking pump and tstat voltages and RPMs and then maybe a pressure test to see if there is a leak. And maybe your pump didn't complete the bleeding process and there is air in the system.
Appreciate 0