E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Extended Warranty - Worth it?

05-07-2013, 08:06 AM   #23
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

If you think about it, get a Bentley manual and supplement when you need it with bmwtis. At dealer labor rates, I can afford the time to do the work myself.... It is like insurance, they have number crunchers in the background calculating the risk for them and being sure that they'll come out ahead....

How may of us make over $100 dollars an hour. If you did, you probably wouldn't be here asking whether it is worth it or not...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:26 AM   #24
srSheepdog
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 335i - Montego Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
If you think about it, get a Bentley manual and supplement when you need it with bmwtis. At dealer labor rates, I can afford the time to do the work myself.... It is like insurance, they have number crunchers in the background calculating the risk for them and being sure that they'll come out ahead....

How may of us make over $100 dollars an hour. If you did, you probably wouldn't be here asking whether it is worth it or not...
Learning to do more and more myself, but hopefully won't have to learn how to do TOO much...LOL

Think I am going to pass on the warranty, fix/maintain what I can myself, and roll the dice a bit on any truly major issues. I figure that if I set aside $200/mo for issues/parts/repairs/whatever, after two years I may have $5000 to do as I see fit, or it may all get used on fixing the car, or somewhere in between. If it is somewhere in between (say $2500), then I have broken even and it didn't matter whether I paid for the warranty or paid directly for the parts/repairs myself. If I have no issues, it's pure win for me, and I've saved $5000. If all $5000 gets used on the car, then a) some stuff may be getting upgraded in the process, and b) I'm an unlucky person, because I am running against the odds.

Odds say that I won't have any catastrophic issues, so I'm going to "self-warranty".
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 12:49 AM   #25
jzchen
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by srSheepdog View Post
Learning to do more and more myself, but hopefully won't have to learn how to do TOO much...LOL

Think I am going to pass on the warranty, fix/maintain what I can myself, and roll the dice a bit on any truly major issues. I figure that if I set aside $200/mo for issues/parts/repairs/whatever, after two years I may have $5000 to do as I see fit, or it may all get used on fixing the car, or somewhere in between. If it is somewhere in between (say $2500), then I have broken even and it didn't matter whether I paid for the warranty or paid directly for the parts/repairs myself. If I have no issues, it's pure win for me, and I've saved $5000. If all $5000 gets used on the car, then a) some stuff may be getting upgraded in the process, and b) I'm an unlucky person, because I am running against the odds.

Odds say that I won't have any catastrophic issues, so I'm going to "self-warranty".
I say this is a great call. One example of a "big issue" comes to mind. Both my wife's 328i and my 335xi were recalled for the positive battery cable issue. One was out of warranty, hers, and mine is a CPO. Both were fixed free. So some issues may be fixed for free anyways. We both never had any kind of issues/symptoms related to this "problem," but they fixed it anyways...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 11:03 PM   #26
cm335
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

MileagePlus

Has anyone here had experience with the MileagePlus extended warranty? I got suckered into adding this to my purchase when getting my '07 335i (Auto, 53k) a few days ago and in the moment it seemed like a good idea, but I'm having second thoughts. I have 30 days to consider canceling this service contract

For reference - http://www.protectiveassetprotection...Info-Sheet.pdf
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:13 PM   #27
Denny347
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

I dono but I bought one with my car 3 years ago. I bought the car knowing it has a bad wheel bearing (I got the car sooooo cheap so I was still money ahead) so that wasn't covered since it was pre-existing (no biggie). Well, then I had a head bolt break, no coverage for bolts. I cancelled the warranty. 3 years later and nothing I haven't been able to fix myself. The warranty company would have made money from me had I not cancelled it. In 1998 I bought a 1993 Passat with an aftermarket warranty, I got a new engine, new struts, new AC evaporator, it paid for itself 2x's over. It is a gamble, you never know.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2013, 07:15 PM   #28
TeinBMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport, Conv, Tech

Garage List
2011 BMW 335xi  [7.00]
Yup def worth it
      09-25-2014, 04:13 PM   #29
Me333
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

I bought mine through the bank where I financed the loan for the car. cost was 3500, but covers me through 118k miles. I'm at 58k right now. My transmission went out and it covered all of it minus a 250$ deductible. 7k in repairs that I don't have to pay for and I have 62k miles left on my warranty. The OEM warranty covered $3900 in repairs. They are going to be sorry they ever sold it to me. It's paid for itself x 2 already and I'm sure it's going to pay more for itself before it runs out.
Appreciate 0