E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Alpine White Detail Help!!!!

10-14-2010, 10:42 PM   #1
xoxoluvcrisxoxo
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i white/black

Alpine White Detail Help!!!!

so i recently purchased an 06 330i and i have to say the prev. owner did not take care of it AT ALL!!!! there only really one thing thats annoying me. ive found it hard to remove the dirt stuck in the lines of the car. such as fender/bumper. my brother told me i can use a toothpick but i dont think thats gonna help me much. is there like a little brush i can purchase that will fit in those little crevices and actually clean away that build up thats pbbly been there for a while any help would be loved
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 04:47 AM   #2
TOGWT
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 630i

Small Detailing Brush -

Cobra Detailing Brush Kit - these brushes are for those who demand the greatest attention to details; Cobra have assembled a brush kit intended for those who demand the best for their car If so, you’ll need these three versatile brushes in among your detailing supplies to attain your goal. The well constructed brushes, all with half inch bristles, have finger grooves for non slippage use.
(1) Nylon Brush - designed for removing waxy residue around emblems, moulding, and anywhere else it may collect. Of course this is only one of its many uses. It also is handy to use for interior detailing.
(2) Horsehair Brush - is great for all interior detailing needs. It whisks away all traces of dust, dirt, and crumbs from the tight spaces that you couldn’t otherwise touch. Its soft, gentle bristles reach into cracks, crevices and crannies to dislodge the particles that make their home in the most inconvenient places.
(3) Nylon Brush - designed for removing waxy residue around emblems, moulding, and anywhere else it may collect. Of course this is only one of its many uses. It also is handy to use for interior detailing.
(4) Brass Brush - has extra sturdy bristles for cleaning the most baked-on, caked-on grime on engine parts. You can’t find a better tool for getting at those hard to reach places under your hood.

(a) Poly-Foam Tipped Swab - with a 5” handle is included for good measure. You’ll find 101 different uses for it.

(b) Laitner Grip-It 2-in-1 Detailing Tool -this Grip-It is two brushes in one. At one end is a detailing brush of soft, tampico bristles for cleaning vents, upholstery crevices and around instrument cluster knobs. On the exterior, use the brush end to remove wax and polish residues on trim mouldings and emblems. On the other end is rubber tip for removing wax and polish residues in body seams and around emblems.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 06:05 AM   #3
Muskalade172
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 335i M-Sport

A TOOTHBRUSH!!!! The cheapest way to go!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2010, 04:00 PM   #4
JohnnyT
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 4Runner. Former 09 328i.

But make it a SOFT toothbrush.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
Chris J
Learning "The Art"
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black BMW 335i

I would not use a toothbrush. You need to find a brush that is small and made from horse hair. This will keep the scratches to a minimum. I have several of them and we use them like water. They are only a couple bucks. I got them from a Chemical Guys training facility in San Diego that was called The Total Pros. I believe it is now called the smart detailing university. Great little brushes though.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2010, 02:02 PM   #6
Envious Eric
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: nissan xterra, 335 soon

dont use a toothbrush on paint!, dont use a toothpick. both are too rough and will scratch the paint to hell

what you want to do is actually remove the lights, the molding, etc. then wash the area. if you want to take it a step further, then clay and polish/wax afterward. if will GREATLY enhance the look of the car.

I am about to start a package that included light removal and badge removal to clean behind everything and get it all looking perfect. Ever notice how much of a paint it is to detail around the badges and how it looks mediocre no matter what...remove them and replace them and you can make it look like it should!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2010, 08:17 PM   #7
capo1m
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1M, M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envious Eric View Post
dont use a toothbrush on paint!, dont use a toothpick. both are too rough and will scratch the paint to hell

what you want to do is actually remove the lights, the molding, etc. then wash the area. if you want to take it a step further, then clay and polish/wax afterward. if will GREATLY enhance the look of the car.

I am about to start a package that included light removal and badge removal to clean behind everything and get it all looking perfect. Ever notice how much of a paint it is to detail around the badges and how it looks mediocre no matter what...remove them and replace them and you can make it look like it should!!!
on our cars im pretty sure to get headlights off u need to take front bumper off which seems like it would take some time for a detailer lol