E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BMW quality (Sarcasm)

11-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #1
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

BMW quality (Sarcasm)

I am just going to rant here. So I have a 2006 BMW 325i since late 2005. I have to admit maintaining this car past 100K miles is so tiresome. As I was changing the automatic transmission fluid, I noticed that there is an oil leak at the crank seal. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that one of the bolts connecting the engine to the transmission has broken off (I could see the thread and other part of the bolt in inside). It looks likes they used one of the one time use aluminum bolts. I am so pissed off that BMW cannot put the extra money to buy stronger bolts that comes in Toyotas and Hondas. Now I feel so unsafe in my car when I am driving it. I think there might be some other bolts that could have broken off and causing more problems when I travel far. I think these cars are really built to be junk after some years.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #2
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

I hear you but at least you have a 2006 from late 2005 in 2013. I bought a 2011 in early 2011 by early 2013 I needed a new battery ($500 charge). On top of that the top never stopped squeaking, the windows would roll down after I rolled them up and the radio / navigation would never come back to where I left it. I took it to the dealer numerous times and they could never fix everything. They did comp the battery but told me it was my driving style and short (10 mile) commute that was killing the battery and they wouldn't comp another. Their suggestion..... get a trickle charger! Now this is my DD so a trickle charger is not only a PITA but it's insulting since I bought a 6cyl petrol car and not a plug-in hybrid!

Needless to say, the car got traded in a month ago with only 27K miles on it. I figured if they couldn't fix it under warranty, then things were just going to get worst... much worst after warranty.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #3
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Would either of you like some cheese to go with all that whine?

The bolts that go into the engine block are aluminum, and on the earlier cars they do occasionally break. Replace it, and drive on. Or trade it in on a beigemobile. I'd much rather do a bit of maintenance and drive a car that is great to drive.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #4
06AWe90
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Alpine White E90

You can buy a brand new car off the lot and have problems with it. Every car is hit or miss. It just is what it is.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:03 PM   #5
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Absolutely agree with rhodes- you bought the ultimate driving machine, not the ultimate quality or reliable machine. I think you guys are using the term quality instead of reliability.

You think you have problems with a 2006 325?
Try a first year 335 lol...

As the poster above also mentioned, it really is a hit or miss as well.

If you want reliability you went with the wrong car my friends.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:53 PM   #6
El Cheapo Loco
douchebaggo
Rep
Drives: stick

BMWs can be reliable too. Just not those that have AT, NAV, electronic this/that...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #7
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

Oh God tell me about it...electronics...you're not kidding dude- how about those seven series back in the day?
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

All hit-or-miss. My 09 335i is coming up on 200k and I've only had to replace a water pump (175k) and tranny pan (100k). Plenty of stories out there like mine, but also plenty like yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:13 PM   #9
longnvu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 E92 E60 F30

I have an 06 325i thats built mid 05, I bought her in 2 months ago. The car came with a check engine light that was for both vanos, 2a2e,2a2f, and a massive oil leak which i thought was just a valve cover upon purchase. I ended up paying 1600 in parts alone. So far i replaces both vanos, cps, valve cover with bolt sets, oil pan with bolt sets, all three broken head bolts, oil filter housing gasket, wiper pump, water pump, thermostat, and gas cap. All within a two month period. This is my first bmw and working on it was pretty good experience for me. At first it was complicated cause i never worked on a bmw before, now i can pretty much do it all thanks to this forum. She has 156k right now btw please note that i didn't have to replace the water pump or the thermostat but i chose to just for a peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:34 PM   #10
nightops
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
All hit-or-miss. My 09 335i is coming up on 200k and I've only had to replace a water pump (175k) and tranny pan (100k). Plenty of stories out there like mine, but also plenty like yours.
wow i hope my water pump lasts to 175K!
      11-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #11
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

I know it is a hit or miss car, but for the price we pay for these vehicles. Should we expect some reliability with the great handling? I really love my car, but I just don't like BMW saving money on the small details like the bolts.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 09:11 PM   #12
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Bullshit your oil pan, valve cover, oil filter housing would have to leaked by now.

Your belt, tensioner idler pulleys would have been making tons of noise.

Spark plugs ignition coils

I can go on and on.

Maybe your the exception, but I wouldn't say there are plenty more like yours.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
techietaichi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Pre-LCI & 2010 X3

I'm happy to report thus far that my '06 325i is a definite "HIT". If I was ever accused of cheating on my wife, it would be with my car, lol, I love it! I've had three known issues common to this model taken care of, but it was nothing of a surprise. You pay the piper you know? Speaking of which I'm due for a trans fluid change here soon, but hey it's part of owning a fine car like a BMW. It really comes down to anticipating repairs and being prepared for it. I emphasize prepare.
      11-15-2013, 10:55 PM   #14
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcao1472 View Post
I am just going to rant here. So I have a 2006 BMW 325i since late 2005. I have to admit maintaining this car past 100K miles is so tiresome. As I was changing the automatic transmission fluid, I noticed that there is an oil leak at the crank seal. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that one of the bolts connecting the engine to the transmission has broken off (I could see the thread and other part of the bolt in inside). It looks likes they used one of the one time use aluminum bolts. I am so pissed off that BMW cannot put the extra money to buy stronger bolts that comes in Toyotas and Hondas. Now I feel so unsafe in my car when I am driving it. I think there might be some other bolts that could have broken off and causing more problems when I travel far. I think these cars are really built to be junk after some years.
I hear those toyota prius's r pretty quick (some of the owners just keep mashing on the gas during races and don't let up) seriously... U should stick with japanese/korean. I wouldn't even wish a domestic car on u.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 11:10 PM   #15
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5

Quote:
I know it is a hit or miss car, but for the price we pay for these vehicles. Should we expect some reliability with the great handling? I really love my car, but I just don't like BMW saving money on the small details like the bolts.
Price does not equal reliability, my brother has a 2010 911 that has been a nightmare for him. Some of the higher end cars are far from reliable, Jaguar comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #16
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

3/2007 manufacturer date on my 335 E93. Replaced one part so far at 60K miles.
So yes these cars are so unreliable.
German philosophy is that their cars take maintenance. Go to VW-Merc-Audi and see how different those forums are.

Oh and my M3 convertible I sold last year at 284K miles and my other M3 with 91K miles had zero squawks.

This is a forum where people come to get advice on repairing something or bitch about their car or brag about their car. No indicitive of the population in general.

It is inescapable that BMW is making the cars needlessly complex (battery registration comes to mind as an example) and that their subcontractor suppliers have delievered less than reliable components which BMW is working to correct. I am not certain I will buy another BMW which I thought I would never say. Complexity for the sake of increasing BMW profits is my fear...
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
DC_Oldboy
Q(*.*)-D Q-(^.~Q)
United_States
Rep
Drives: like an old person.

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.48]
It is what it is man.. I have about 152K miles on my 330 and for the most part has been reliable. The only big thing I paid out of pocket was the water pump. Luckily I got most of the common problems fixed before CPO warranty expired.
      11-16-2013, 12:18 AM   #18
BMWinAZ
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i, ‘08 328i, ‘03 316ti

Garage List
What is it with the Asian cars?! I am getting somewhat sick of the reliability myth that follows them around. First off, I have owned a number of Japanese or Japanese-built cars over the years, some of them for ten years. Most of them were solid, reliable cars, but no more so than many other cars of different provenance. For ten years, pre-BMW we had a Honda Accord and a CR-V. We bought them new and had them always diligently dealer maintained. They were solid, functional vehicles, we liked them. They were also rather boring and their handling and power and fun factor was nowhere near our current E83 and E90. They were reasonably reliable but the Accord's transmission went bust soon after the warranty expired and the same happened to the CR-V's AC, both repairs ran several Ks each. Luckily Honda sucked up two thirds of the cost in each case because we had bought and maintained the vehicles at the same dealer. There were, of course, many more small and bigger maintenance bills over the course of owning these cars. I also have owned a Toyota Camry and a Mazda-built Ford Probe, both requiring many trips to the mechanic for all kinds of, mostly minor, replacement parts. However, all those smaller repairs added up "nicely" over the course of ownership. I agree that BMW makes some models and engines that are more costly to maintain due to their performance specs or equipment. However, the 328i and the X3 do not seem to be doing too badly. I use a good BMW Indy shop and the cost of maintenance is no more than what I paid for the Hondas. However, driving a BMW is infinitely more fun and enjoyment than any other car I have ever owned or driven, including my MB C350. By the way, statistics from the German roadside assistance service ADAC rate the 3 series BMW among the five most reliable cars, on par with the Honda Accord, the X3 ranks amongst the ten most reliable vehicles, on par with the Honda CR-V!
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 12:58 AM   #19
krhodes1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i Wagon

Garage List
2011 128i  [10.00]
2011 BMW 328i Touring  [10.00]
Quote:
I don't find a broken bolt in 7-8 years and over 100K miles particularly onerous. And those bolts are not cheap, they are actually rather expensive - they are aluminum because you cannot use steel bolts threading into the (really expensive, and really light) magnesium engine block. The price you pay for near perfect weight distribution. If you want bolts that never break, buy a Camry and enjoy the handling of an understeering pig on wheels.

'11 328! Touring - Tasman on Chestnut, 6spd manual, factory upside-down "i" option
'11 128i Convertible - Space Gray on Savannah Beige, 6spd manual,
also '14 Mercedes-Benz E350 wagon, '95 Land Rover Discovery, '74 Triumph Spitfire
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:26 AM   #20
mr_milo
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2drive View Post
It is inescapable that BMW is making the cars needlessly complex (battery registration comes to mind as an example) and that their subcontractor suppliers have delievered less than reliable components which BMW is working to correct. I am not certain I will buy another BMW which I thought I would never say. Complexity for the sake of increasing BMW profits is my fear...
This!

The whole start & stop system is nothing more than a bad idea so they can boast better gas mileage numbers at the cost of a battery. My buddy in Hawaii has gotten three new batteries in one year!!!! BMW blames his driving habits too. Think about it, they sold this car in Hawaii.... How far do they expect him to drive to fully charge the car? Their solution... Use a trickle charger and disable the start / stop system. BUT then his gas mileage sucks! And gas is pricey in Hawaii.

Has anyone seen the CNBC show "BMW - A Driving Obsession"?

http://www.cnbc.com/id/43395673/BMW_A_Driving_Obsession

It made me really want a BMW since it gave the illusion of quality engineering and great care in making a high quality vehicle. In the end, after buying a BMW, I realized it was just a sales pitch.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:27 AM   #21
Wheres My Key?
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e93

Garage List
I'm at 67k, so far the big repairs I've done are oil filter housing and pulley tensioner.
I am having a minimal leaking from the valve cover gasket but I'll replace it next month.

I have a savings for murphy's law when it comes to play - water pump failure.
At least you know what common problems are with our cars. It shouldn't be too hard to just repair/replace then move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #22
iBoost
Retired e90post Member
Rep
Drives: real slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
Absolutely agree with rhodes- you bought the ultimate driving machine, not the ultimate quality or reliable machine. I think you guys are using the term quality instead of reliability.

You think you have problems with a 2006 325?
Try a first year 335 lol...

As the poster above also mentioned, it really is a hit or miss as well.

If you want reliability you went with the wrong car my friends.
Who started this rumor? What is more problematic on a 07 compared to later builds? My 07 was a problem free, for the most part, just the usual recalls.

Either way i agree with OP, paying premium price you expect a quality product meaning it will last.
Appreciate 0