Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > When do I need TPMS rebuild kit?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-23-2012, 08:15 PM   #1
alex2364
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 ZCP / 2023 X3 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [10.00]
2023 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
When do I need TPMS rebuild kit?

I'm getting new tires and someone recommended to get a TPMS rebuild kit. Do I really need it? This is for a 2009 335i with 34k miles, and this will be the 3rd set of tires on these rims.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2012, 02:12 AM   #2
e92ben
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 BMW 635csi

Just get a new one once on of the tpms goes out..

e92 ///M3
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2013, 05:33 PM   #3
Pittsburger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 328xi, 2006 330xi, 2011x3

Old post, but I thought I'd respond. I think it is worth doing.
I got the following quote from another BMW forum:

The rebuild kit is just a new valve stem which just retains the TPMS sensor, there is nothing on the sensor itself that is rebuildable, the valve stem retains it and they are just replacing the valve stem itself nothing else. If it has been a bunch of years, probably worth doing a new valve stem, normal to do them with tire changes in the past as they are cheap. $5 a tire is worth doing just to make sure you don't have a leaky stem!

My father's GMC truck has stupid TPMS and Firestone requires these to be replaced. I assume BMW TPMS is no different - just the valves, o-rings. If this is so, then the replacement kit is nothing more than asking if you want your tire stems replaced every time you change your tires, which most people do do.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
FCobra94
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pittsburger View Post
Old post, but I thought I'd respond. I think it is worth doing.
I got the following quote from another BMW forum:

The rebuild kit is just a new valve stem which just retains the TPMS sensor, there is nothing on the sensor itself that is rebuildable, the valve stem retains it and they are just replacing the valve stem itself nothing else. If it has been a bunch of years, probably worth doing a new valve stem, normal to do them with tire changes in the past as they are cheap. $5 a tire is worth doing just to make sure you don't have a leaky stem!

My father's GMC truck has stupid TPMS and Firestone requires these to be replaced. I assume BMW TPMS is no different - just the valves, o-rings. If this is so, then the replacement kit is nothing more than asking if you want your tire stems replaced every time you change your tires, which most people do do.
Pretty much. Just do it when you get your tires changed. I often find rebuild kits on eBay for cheap...cheaper than what a tire shop would charge anyway. Just buy a pack of four and hold onto them until you need 'em.
Appreciate 0