E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Do I have the factory alarm?!

01-24-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: AW X3 35i Msport + S2000

Exclamation Do I have the factory alarm?!

So I've had my car for almost a year.

A few times I have walked out to my car and noticed the flashers going off for no reason. (My guess is a loud exhaust or sound system triggered the alarm, if I in fact do have it)

In the back of my head I always wondered if my car had the factory alarm installed. Well, tonight I decided to pop off the rear interior light cover.

Is this the ultrasonic module?

Part number on the module reads: 65 75 6 972 064 01

Last edited by EndOfAnEra; 01-25-2015 at 12:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I should add:

my car does not have the factory hood switch, so the red clown nose blinks rapidly for about 10 seconds when I lock then car, after 10 seconds or so then it blinks once every 3 seconds.
      01-25-2015, 12:17 AM   #3
DrRobert
Normal Person
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i

Garage List
2011 E90 335i  [0.00]
Yes that is the ultrasonic module (see THIS LINK), and the blinking clown nose indicates your alarm is armed.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 12:13 PM   #4
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
But you should also have the underhood switch for the alarm to be fully installed, & LED should not blink rapidly for the 1st 10 sec...

> Press & hold the trunk release button on key fob - this is Panic Alarm.

If the siren sounds, then the alarm is fully functional (it should sound whether the car is locked or unlocked), if not, you got some work to do.

You already know the hood alarm switch is missing, could be the siren module is not there either (it is located behind rear DS wheel well liner), or it could be car is not coded for alarm, or both.

Previous owner may have started to install the alarm system, not known what they were doing, left parts out, or not known that car also needs to be coded for the alarm to be active...

If you have iDrive - pretty sure you can check alarm functions there also
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2015, 01:44 PM   #5
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
But you should also have the underhood switch for the alarm to be fully installed, & LED should not blink rapidly for the 1st 10 sec...

> Press & hold the trunk release button on key fob - this is Panic Alarm.

If the siren sounds, then the alarm is fully functional (it should sound whether the car is locked or unlocked), if not, you got some work to do.

You already know the hood alarm switch is missing, could be the siren module is not there either (it is located behind rear DS wheel well liner), or it could be car is not coded for alarm, or both.

Previous owner may have started to install the alarm system, not known what they were doing, left parts out, or not known that car also needs to be coded for the alarm to be active...

If you have iDrive - pretty sure you can check alarm functions there also
The wiring is under the hood, but not the switch. I also took the rear wheel off last night and there is no siren.

The LED blinking fast for the first 10 seconds is because the system can't recognize the hood switch.

Also, I don't have iDrive.

I have pieced together a list of part numbers for the pieces I need to complete the alarm.

Also I am talking to someone local to me who will code the car once the install is complete.
      02-05-2015, 08:02 PM   #6
Vin328IX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328IX

I'm in the same situation. Can you please keep this thread alive with the information you find or the part numbers for the nessary parts. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2015, 08:50 PM   #7
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin328IX View Post
I'm in the same situation. Can you please keep this thread alive with the information you find or the part numbers for the nessary parts. Thanks
I'll update with the part numbers soon, but I bought all the parts I needed to complete the install. I installed them last week and had the car coded Monday. I love hearing that genuine bmw beep when the car is locked and unlocked
      02-06-2015, 02:10 AM   #8
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
You can easily go to bmwvin.com (registration is free) and enter the last 7 of your VIN and it will tell you what options it had when it rolled out of the factory.

Of course, this would not take into account of someone installed after they took delivery of the car. You should see the VO for the alarm or the VO stating its prewired. If it's the latter, you need the module and all the sensors, plus coding.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 12:10 AM   #9
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

as vin328ix requested, follow this link and open the pdf for the official instructions from bmw. it also has a part number list for individual parts needed for the oem alarm

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311200
      02-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #10
Vin328IX
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 328IX

i just had my car serviced and i asked about the alarm and they said my car is not prewired for one. Before i start pulling panels off does that mean it doesnt have the parts or there is no harness installed?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2015, 08:28 PM   #11
EndOfAnEra
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin328IX View Post
i just had my car serviced and i asked about the alarm and they said my car is not prewired for one. Before i start pulling panels off does that mean it doesnt have the parts or there is no harness installed?
well I know they stopped pre-wiring the 3 series for the OEM alarm right around Feb of 2009, so any 3 series made after that will NOT be pre-wired unless the alarm option was chosen when the car was made.

an easy way to check is to pop the hood and look for the wiring for the hood switch on the driver side near the brake master cylinder cover

example: my car already had the wiring sitting under the hood waiting for the hood switch

so for you specifically, you would need the full alarm kit that has everything including the wiring, and I have no idea how much they go for. I know the alarm retrofit kits from getbmwparts.com are right under $300
      02-08-2015, 11:45 PM   #12
wildcatcrazy
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Garage List
2009 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vin328IX
You can use the option I mentioned in my post above to see what you have from the factory.

Edit: sorry, didn't read the entire post. Yes you will need wiring harness.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2015, 11:47 AM   #13
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
If you need the entire alarm wiring harness it's basically not worth the time or $$ to install the factory alarm.

It's really nothing special, nor would it ever be construed as a high end alarm.

If the harness is there, it's prolly worth the 'piece of mind' that you get from the install, & cost is low (especially if you get used from forum), mechanical install is EZ, but there is coding involved. If you know how to code, or have someone to do it for you its great - if taken to dealer to code they want $300

My Build Date is 2/09, I was pre-wired. Bought alarm from forum, installed & coded myself. Total cost was $150
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0