E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Belly fat

10-26-2011, 10:26 AM   #1
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

Belly fat

I'm not a jabba at all but i've noticed this last year a small increase in belly size. It's been flat for ever until this year.

I admit i'm an eating machine but not necessarily the bad things. I eat fruit and nuts throughout the day, don't eat cakes much, nor biscuits, no fizzy or sugar drinks, just water. The only bad stuff i have is chocolate, i might eat the equivalent of 1 or 2 bars day (i buy a couple of them large bars but they last a week or 2) and i eat popcorn or bombay mix at night sometimes.

The only thing is i dont really watch my carbs, ive never had to, i just eat normal amounts of rice, potatoes and pasta but dont tend to eat bread. For lunch i tend to have meat and salad filled wraps.

The only thing i can think is i dont do enough exercise. I do run (at least try to each week), walk a lot everyday and swim sometimes, my BMI is good and i'm a healthy weight so i'm a bit confused as to what it is.

The only thing i found was stress. I've been a bit stressed and working hard this past year setting up a new business, very long hours. I heard that stress can lead to belly fat but wasn't sure how far fetched that was.

Where would you start, exercise or diet? Remember that the rest of my body is in pretty good shape so i dont want to loose any weight, just stop the belly from getting any bigger and i dont have the desire or time to turn my body into a template of beauty with gym sessions, just maintain a healthy body.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

You've been eating more than you've been burning off. Simple as.

Either do more exercise or eat less.

Fruit and nuts are good for you but contain quite a lot of calories.

It will take some disaplin though because food is nice!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:49 AM   #3
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 530e G30

Garage List
crunches...set a routine of x amount of crunches a day in the morning when u get up
      10-26-2011, 10:52 AM   #4
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

Crunches wont get rid of belly fat, they will help keep a flatter profile by tightening the abdominals.

There is no way of spot reducing fat. As Banzi said you have to either eat less or burn more!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:55 AM   #5
Mr. Nice
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G80 Comp XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanziBarn View Post
You've been eating more than you've been burning off. Simple as.

Either do more exercise or eat less.

Fruit and nuts are good for you but contain quite a lot of calories.

It will take some disaplin though because food is nice!

Calories are all that matter. Crunches won't do anything, you can't spot reduce fat, you need to decrease your body fat percentage. I'm all for cardio but am a firm believer that a weight training routine will do more for decreasing body fat. Building muscle will also speed up your metabolism.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:58 AM   #6
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nice View Post

Calories are all that matter. Crunches won't do anything, you can't spot reduce fat, you need to decrease your body fat percentage. I'm all for cardio but am a firm believer that a weight training routine will do more for decreasing body fat. Building muscle will also speed up your metabolism.
Im in a similar situation myself really and in the last few months I have cut down how much i eat considerably and go to the gym at least 3-4 times a week, spending about 45 mins doing cardio (bike, treadmill and xtrainer) burning about 3-500 calories each visit and doing crunches....

Ive not really concentrated on doing n e weights as I didnt think there was much point, Im not looking to "build up" but just want to slim down and lose the belly too!

EDIT: Ive recently seen that its working for me too as I have managed to get back into 32" waist trousers (actually now its a little loose!) and I managed to fit nicely into my 36" suit!

Just need to carry on and lose the little belly!
      10-26-2011, 11:02 AM   #7
flip4335
General Nuisance in a Private Conveyance
United_States
Rep
Drives: like it's rented

Garage List
Quote:

+1 on increasing metabolism! Have the same problem. Stress did it to me...
  • Weight training to increase metabolic rate (low weights, high reps to begin with, followed by some heavy days)
  • Cardio to relieve stress (walk, run, sex...hahaha...doing, not looking)

BMWCCA Member # 414198 |E90|SGM|6MT|Premium|Cold|Sport|Tint|LCI MSport Conversion|MTech|Blacklines|219M|PSS|Quaife|Helix FMIC|M3 Suspension|Megan Racing|GC Camber Plates/Coilovers|Eibach 440/800#|AR Catted DP|Cobb AP|StopTech Drilled/Slotted|SS Brake Lines|DWS
Quaife Review: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=311570
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:09 AM   #8
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

It's impossible to just target one particular area of fat. Your body does not burn fat in a way that it draws from one specific areas but rather sees fat deposits as a single store no matter where they are on the body. Crunches will therefor not see you loose your belly. Unless of course the protrusion of your belly is caused by weak or lack of muscle in this area. However, it doesn't sound like this is the case to me.

I would try limiting the amount of chocolate that you eat a bit more and also try switching to dark chocolate when you do have it. I would also watch the carbs. You say you eat normal amounts of rice, potato and pasta but what is normal to you? You could try changing to brown rice, wholewheat pasta and sweet potatos.

As Banzi says the simple rule of doing more exercise so that you burn more energy than you put in will see results. Other things that can be considered are how you eat around the times you run, the intensity of the run and the time of day that you do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:10 AM   #9
335 oClock
MOE
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 335i 6MT

high intensity work outs for short periods of time every day - trust me, im a muscle doctor.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:13 AM   #10
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

I know i love food, and i do try to eat the right stuff. Eating processed food is v.rare, once a month if my wife is late in, she is good and makes everything herself.

So it must be the fact im spending more time than i usually did in work and not being active.

I do 200 crunches a day, morning and evening most days but i know this spot exercise doesn't work. I have definition but still this small layer of blubber above it that i dont want to get any bigger.

Sounds like more exercise is in order, just hope i dont loose any weight. I must admit to being lazy as i hoped a 30 min run 2 or 3 times a week, a lot of walking and a semi healthy diet would be enough.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #11
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:

Don't agree with the calories bit. A good weight programme will be pointless if you don't supply enough protein and good fats to help repair and promote muscle growth.

Totally agree with the weight programme bit. I NEVER ever do cardio at the gym. I'm 6ft, weigh 80kg, size 30 waist. I'm not "big" but can lift 1.5 to 2 times my bodyweight on the big lifts. Just because you do weights doesn't mean you will get big. You just need to know what you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:18 AM   #12
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335 oClock View Post
high intensity work outs for short periods of time every day - trust me, im a muscle doctor.
I've tried that nearly ended up in A&E with a snapped cock
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:19 AM   #13
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
Back in July my four year old Nephew asked if I had a baby in my tummy. Thought to my self thats it I need to do somthing about my massive tum.

Gave up eating chocolate and eating snaks every night. Switched to fruit instead. Gave up drinking two or three cans of lager every night. Drink gin and diet lemonade now.

Simply start the day with a bowl of cornflakes now, with a light lunch and evening meal. Chips just once or twice a week now, mainly salads, and smaller portions.

Go for a two or three mile run every day and do about 50 crunchies.

Lost 2.5 stone. Flat tum and fit as a butchers dog.

If I can do it any one can.
      10-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #14
ZURICH
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E91 320d Touring M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by briers View Post
I'm not a jabba at all but i've noticed this last year a small increase in belly size. It's been flat for ever until this year.

I admit i'm an eating machine but not necessarily the bad things. I eat fruit and nuts throughout the day, don't eat cakes much, nor biscuits, no fizzy or sugar drinks, just water. The only bad stuff i have is chocolate, i might eat the equivalent of 1 or 2 bars day (i buy a couple of them large bars but they last a week or 2) and i eat popcorn or bombay mix at night sometimes.

The only thing is i dont really watch my carbs, ive never had to, i just eat normal amounts of rice, potatoes and pasta but dont tend to eat bread. For lunch i tend to have meat and salad filled wraps.

The only thing i can think is i dont do enough exercise. I do run (at least try to each week), walk a lot everyday and swim sometimes, my BMI is good and i'm a healthy weight so i'm a bit confused as to what it is.

The only thing i found was stress. I've been a bit stressed and working hard this past year setting up a new business, very long hours. I heard that stress can lead to belly fat but wasn't sure how far fetched that was.

Where would you start, exercise or diet? Remember that the rest of my body is in pretty good shape so i dont want to loose any weight, just stop the belly from getting any bigger and i dont have the desire or time to turn my body into a template of beauty with gym sessions, just maintain a healthy body.
I think know what the problem is, have you or are you just about to hit 40 years of age? your metabolic rate tends to change at about 40. It slows down a touch, this is why you suddenly put on a few pounds, perfectly normal.
less food or more excercise just to burn off the unwanted extra calories, Job done.

M Sport Package, (PDC), front / rear, Cruise control
Mystic Blue Metallic, Beige Dakota leather, Alarm,
Automatic transmission, Panoramic glass roof, Heated Seats, Lumbar etc etc
"I don't Fuck around but when I do, I dont fuck around"
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:25 AM   #15
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick999 View Post
Back in July my four year old Nephew asked if I had a baby in my tummy. Thought to my self thats it I need to do somthing about my massive tum.

Gave up eating chocolate and eating snaks every night. Switched to fruit instead. Gave up drinking two or three cans of lager every night. Drink gin and diet lemonade now.

Simply start the day with a bowl of cornflakes now, with a light lunch and evening meal. Chips just once or twice a week now, mainly salads, and smaller portions.

Go for a two or three mile run every day and do about 50 crunchies.

Lost 2.5 stone. Flat tum and fit as a butchers dog.

If I can do it any one can.
Well done Nick

I'm almost this profile, i dont drink lager, just whisky, but i still have the snacks and chocolate most nights. I need to replace this with healthier stuff and perhaps run more or do more cardio. The reason why i dont run as much is i dont want to wreck my knees and i find it a bit boring. I'll find a way. To make it worse i was recently sent a massive assortment of Thorntons chocolates, pretty much every popular box or bag of chocolates and fudge they sell. It's hard to resist those Viennese truffles.

I used to play rugby league which was a complete killer and kept me very fit but an injury forced me to give that up.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #16
urfankhaliq
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well done Nick

I'm almost this profile, i dont drink lager, just whisky, but i still have the snacks and chocolate most nights. I need to replace this with healthier stuff and perhaps run more or do more cardio. The reason why i dont run as much is i dont want to wreck my knees and i find it a bit boring. I'll find a way. To make it worse i was recently sent a massive assortment of Thorntons chocolates, pretty much every popular box or bag of chocolates and fudge they sell. It's hard to resist those Viennese truffles.

I used to play rugby league which was a complete killer and kept me very fit but an injury forced me to give that up.
Use the X-trainer instead of running, easier on the knees
      10-26-2011, 11:35 AM   #17
Nick999
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: E92 335i M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Well done Nick

I'm almost this profile, i dont drink lager, just whisky, but i still have the snacks and chocolate most nights. I need to replace this with healthier stuff and perhaps run more or do more cardio. The reason why i dont run as much is i dont want to wreck my knees and i find it a bit boring. I'll find a way.

I have snacked all my life. It was like cumming off drugs, I was climbing the walls for a couple of weeks.

The first time I went for a run, I managed about half a mile, before I had to change to walking. Had to stop at shop for a small bar of choc for an energy boost.

Took quite a few weeks to loose my craving for sweets and crisps!! However I now look forward to grapes and pineapple.

After a few weeks I found I could run further and further. Started to challange my self. Did 11 miles one day. But done with that now. Just do a couple of miles to maintain my fitness.

Any thing to sweat off the calories will be good?
      10-26-2011, 12:00 PM   #18
JJD
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Get a bike and do a few one hour rides a week. You'll be like a racing snake again in next to no time.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:48 PM   #19
prt71
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f30

I pretty much avoid bread, pasta, potatoes and rice esp if they're white. Try and base my meals around meat and vegetables and I'm 11.5 stone whereas I was 15 a couple of years ago.

I don't deny myself completely and love a beer but the whole low GI thing (not Atkins, there is a difference) works for me.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #20
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Just have a good, hard wank every night.

Throw yourself around the room a bit.

The pounds will fly off.

"The Wankins Diet."
      10-26-2011, 12:57 PM   #21
ed335d
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick999 View Post
do about 50 crunchies.
Not so sure that's a good idea
      10-26-2011, 01:03 PM   #22
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Just have a good, hard wank every night.

Throw yourself around the room a bit.

The pounds will fly off.

"The Wankins Diet."
+1