E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Using USB to hook up iPod for 2009

10-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #1
wepio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Using USB to hook up iPod for 2009

Hi. I just bought a 2009 E92, with what I believe the the original I-Drive software. I currently have a 2nd Gen iPod Touch, and it is not compatible with the USB port/I-Drive software. I've been getting by with controlling the music via the iPod Touch's screen, and playing the audio via aux. I've given up on the internal hard drive. So now, I'm hoping to keep storing my music on an iPod (whichever generation is compatible), but manage the music through the car's screen/click-wheel. I believe BMW states Apple 4th Gen products and newer are compatible, but not to what extent. It would be much appreciated to learn what level of functionality I can gain by purchasing new Apple hardware. I would love it if the following is achievable (like from an iPod Classic)

- Album artwork
- iTunes playlists (probably not gonna happen)
- Full user interface through the car

Really, I just want to know what devices are compatible, and what the end-result looks/acts like. Difficult to find clear answers to that.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 06:55 AM   #2
gpb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i Cabrio

I'm a little surprised that a 2nd gen ipod touch wouldn't be compatible given that they came out in late 2008.

Are you using the BMW Y-adapter cable or equivalent (such as this neXplug from Amazon)?

With my iphone or 5th gen nano on my 2010 car, using the neXplug adapter above, I don't get album art but do get playlists and can control the ipod through the idrive screen and controller. Its not the most intuitive interface but it works fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2012, 09:19 AM   #3
wepio
Private
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i M-Sport 6MT

Thanks for the response. When I purchased the car used, it did not come with a Y-cable. I'm rather new to E92's, so all of this is a learning process. i just ordered the cable you're referring to, and hopefully it'll at least add some functionality through the iDrive.

I posted on a different already existing thread, and learned quite a bit so far. Apparently the 2009 E92 uses CIC, and has 'dated' combox by comparison to the 2010. The newer combox handles the iPod interface much better, providing click-wheel control and album art. I'm trying to research if there is a non-destructive, minimal upgrade I can do. It seems to me so far, there is a piggy back unit I can purchase, but it's not all that clear to me yet. My understanding is after the combox retrofit, the CIC software needs to be ugraded from MY2009 to MY2011.x. Not sure if that upgrade is free fromt he dealership, or it'll cause wonky behaviour issues.

The car is still under warranty until July 2013, so I don't want to mess with it too much.

Thank you for the response.
Appreciate 0