E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic > Anyone replace their battery yet?

06-09-2012, 01:08 AM   #1
utfenix335i
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i; 2015 X5 50i

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Anyone replace their battery yet?

Hey all,

So tonight, I got the following messages on my idrive:
- DBC malfunction
- Start-off assistance inactive
- DSC malfunction
- transmission failure
- brake failure
- fuel pump (dread... so much dread)...

and on top of all that, the car would crank but not start. After talking with a tech friend, we diagnosed that the battery needs to be replaced. The question now is what do I replace it with.
1) BMW OEM battery
2) his suggested Optima Blue Top
3) another friend's suggested Odyssey

If you have changed your batteries already, what have you gone with and why?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 12:16 PM   #2
bimdaddy
Major
Rep
Drives: 911 Carrera & G01 X3

Walmart battery. No issue. No dealer visit. Done!
      06-09-2012, 01:48 PM   #3
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Your best bet is to stick with OE battery, followed by a "Registration"...If not you WILL have a premature battery failure..E90 require a battery to be register plain and simple..It allows the DME/IBS to know that a new battery is installed and determine the proper charging rates to maximize battery longevity.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2012, 01:57 PM   #4
3erdriver
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: _

Advanced Auto Parts. Got whatever high end battery they have is. Autocraft Gold I think? Then reset the batter on the computer yourself if you have the stuff to do it or go throw money to the dealer to reset it. Install wasn't tricky if you've ever messed with batteries. I did it as quick as possible and didn't have to reset anything on the car like radio or settings. I don't know if that made a difference but it's what I did.
And why did I do all that? Because multiple sources on here and friends at various car places said it really wil be fine to go this route. No problems here.
      06-10-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bavarian Tech View Post
Your best bet is to stick with OE battery, followed by a "Registration"...If not you WILL have a premature battery failure..E90 require a battery to be register plain and simple..It allows the DME/IBS to know that a new battery is installed and determine the proper charging rates to maximize battery longevity.
I did replace mine. The dealer did it. It cost me nearly $400. They gave me that song and dance that Bavarian Tech mentioned above. I don't know how much I believe that madness, but if it's true, it would have cost me, in wasted time alone, more than I would have saved by not going to the dealer to begin with.

My SA furthermore said that an improperly installed battery could run down in as little as a month or two if the car doesn't "know" the new battery is there. I can tell you if anyone removed and then replaced 40 lbs of anything from ass-end, I'd know it. Why these cars with all their technology don't know is a mystery of Trinitary proportion equaled only by the fact that it gives a sh*t in the first place.

Still, it sounds like a load of BS to me, and why, for the love of Christ, BMW would implement such a thing is beyond me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2012, 09:54 PM   #6
AbsolutX3
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 X3

My father replaced it with a Sears Diehard battery last fall, and I directed them to take it to an indy shop in Sterling, VA for registration. The battery was around $140 and the shop charged $80 I think for the battery registration. All has been well since then.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2012, 07:38 PM   #7
Bavarian Tech
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2006 330i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
I did replace mine. The dealer did it. It cost me nearly $400. They gave me that song and dance that Bavarian Tech mentioned above. I don't know how much I believe that madness, but if it's true, it would have cost me, in wasted time alone, more than I would have saved by not going to the dealer to begin with.

My SA furthermore said that an improperly installed battery could run down in as little as a month or two if the car doesn't "know" the new battery is there. I can tell you if anyone removed and then replaced 40 lbs of anything from ass-end, I'd know it. Why these cars with all their technology don't know is a mystery of Trinitary proportion equaled only by the fact that it gives a sh*t in the first place.

Still, it sounds like a load of BS to me, and why, for the love of Christ, BMW would implement such a thing is beyond me.
Honestly I know it sounds, like complete BS but its not...BMW isnt the only manufacturer that does battery registration..Audi does the same thing I know for sure. Yes you can replace the battery without a registration and get away with it for awhile but eventually its going to catch up & you'll experience a shorter than normal battery life
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #8
Perfectus
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 335i/F10 528XI

I had to replace mine recently. A friend of mine knew a BMW tech so I had him replace and register it. When I was researching how to replace it, I found out that the BT tool can do the registration. Has anyone ever tried with their BT Tool?
Injen DCI w/ Cyba Scoop - M-Tech Rear - ///M3 Rear Lip Spoiler - ///M5 SMG Shift Knob & iDrive Knob - BMW Performance Hand Brake - BMWCCA Member
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
spicytofu
Fungineer
Rep
Drives: '11 E92

walmart battery, made by johnson controls. You cant get any better for that price.
Appreciate 0