E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Official Montreal Members Thread (#4)

11-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #463
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I think the sport seats are the same (not sure though).

So you don't like that the latches are now well disguised by the back seat. Funny I think it's better now since in my old car the black plastic caps stuck out against the Coral Red seats like a sore thumb.
I somewhat take back what I said. I found out why the latches were gone. It appears that there are now two versions of the back seat: one for folding back seats, and one for NOT. The car I had... DID NOT HAVE A FOLDING BACK SEAT.

Double shock. A 328i? This is a mid-range car which is what, $50K up with tax? And it didn't have folding rear seats.

I remember when I was looking at the C-class, a C230 was 39K or so, and didn't have folding seats. I thout it was idiotic that the premium package, which offered that option, was 4K - which, ironically, equated the price (43K) of a base C300 - which featured all of those. I would expect a 320i to have this, but a 328i? Really????

I put a Christmas tree in this damn thing as a sign of protest.
      11-23-2012, 01:50 PM   #464
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgalaxy View Post
It seems to be that Detroit got a good wake up call and actually rose to the occasion. They only have a short time before China and India are on their heels.
I wouldn't worry too much if it is cars we're talking about, quality and reliability is not the strongsuit of the Indians and Chinese. That was the Japanese!

Quote:
Is it really worth while to use Freeport? I mean you have to spend 30-40$ in gas, 2-3 hours in transit and potentially pay duty and taxes at the border ...
Let's see:

- Free shipping within the States vs shipping costs to Canada
- Expensive dealer fees chaged by UPS and FedEx
- Tax is neutral as you have to pay tax either way, but if you are in the US for 48 hours, you can save the 15% tax

that's versus driving 100 kms roundtrip, for say 15$ gas

The more you order, the more it's worth it to go pick up. My order was roughly $500, I think I have saved over $100 of dealer fees if not more + shipping costs.

Oh, Nexus makes border crossing like 30 seconds each way
      11-23-2012, 01:58 PM   #465
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
I somewhat take back what I said. I found out why the latches were gone. It appears that there are now two versions of the back seat: one for folding back seats, and one for NOT. The car I had... DID NOT HAVE A FOLDING BACK SEAT.

Double shock. A 328i? This is a mid-range car which is what, $50K up with tax? And it didn't have folding rear seats.

I remember when I was looking at the C-class, a C230 was 39K or so, and didn't have folding seats. I thout it was idiotic that the premium package, which offered that option, was 4K - which, ironically, equated the price (43K) of a base C300 - which featured all of those. I would expect a 320i to have this, but a 328i? Really????

I put a Christmas tree in this damn thing as a sign of protest.
I swear, the stinginess of the Europeans on options will be their downfall, that is I am assuming that the Americans keep their approach of pricing their options much cheaper, and Hyundai packaging everything in for less than most.

I still can't believe I dropped in a GM dealership last night. Times are changing!
      11-23-2012, 10:26 PM   #466
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Teaser... the rest is in the detailing thread of montreal racing dot com
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #467
Tonybest
Enrollment Officer
Canada
Rep
Drives: 997.2 Porsche C4S

Wow I just saw that John Deere in the back
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 10:27 PM   #468
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonybest View Post
Very nice, can you PM me price?
      11-23-2012, 11:44 PM   #469
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenneth View Post
Went to Freeport to pick up my boost gauge (and some other stuffs) this AM.

Crap, I'll have to go back t Freeport some time again. I Ordered 2 wipers but they made a mistake and shipped me only one, but they are sending it!
Quote:
Is it really worth while to use Freeport? I mean you have to spend 30-40$ in gas, 2-3 hours in transit and potentially pay duty and taxes at the border ...
i do travel down to the US pretty often so freeport is convenient since i just pick my packages on the way down or on the way up. and with an $800 allowance for stays longer than 48 hours, you can bring quite a bit of stuff into the country without having to pay any taxes/duties.

but i agree that its only convenient when u have a lot of stuff to pick up. no point going down there just to grab one package. oh and when i go down, i never forget to refuel the car too... since US gas is like 25% cheaper than what we pay here in QC.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2012, 11:48 PM   #470
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Wow I just saw that John Deere in the back
Quote:
Very nice, can you PM me price?
interested in the price as well... looks like they did a very good job on the paint correction. hows the interior ? send me a link to the detailing thread if you have it. i dont go on MR as often anymore.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #471
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

Hi Tony, Chris, Kenneth, I can vouch for Tony's car it is beautiful. Almost kept it in my garage. Tony, you forgot to post the "one" picture. -Rob-
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 04:57 PM   #472
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanosracing View Post
Hi Tony, Chris, Kenneth, I can vouch for Tony's car it is beautiful. Almost kept it in my garage. Tony, you forgot to post the "one" picture. -Rob-
Hey there! Long time no see! Hope you are keeping well. Will you be tracking with us some time in the future?

Cheers
      11-24-2012, 05:32 PM   #473
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Hey there! Long time no see! Hope you are keeping well. Will you be tracking with us some time in the future?

Cheers
Hi Ken, I'm good and so is the family. Thanks for asking. I hope all is well on your end. What is this I read, you walked into a GM dealership?

Tony asks me at every event and I would like to come back and track. But you guys are so far ahead now that I would be stuck in novice or intermediate (it has been 3-years since I've done a tracking event).

I told Tony this week that he's right and I should do 1 or 2 next year.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 06:33 PM   #474
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hi Ken, I'm good and so is the family. Thanks for asking. I hope all is well on your end. What is this I read, you walked into a GM dealership?

Tony asks me at every event and I would like to come back and track. But you guys are so far ahead now that I would be stuck in novice or intermediate (it has been 3-years since I've done a tracking event).

You know, I think I will be keeping this heavy car for a while, but I was just curious to know what's out there. If funds were no issue, I'd pick a used Porsche Cayman or a used C6 Z06, kind of no compromise and light track car. So I wanted to go see a Vette and to sit in one, to see if I can live with one, but alas, there were none!

As for the track thing, you should not be worried where your level is. It is important to have fun first, be safe and then fast/quick. When being fast/quick is taking over the fun, or the safety, it's time to back off and regroup/reassess.

That is the reason I never tracked more that 5/6 days a year, nor getting a camera.

Cheers!
      11-24-2012, 10:17 PM   #475
Bimmerista
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: superstock

I just watched the Johnny Lieberman review for MT. Interesting. However the essence of his spiel is that the 3 series is the fastest around the course (which implies excellent handling) but he didn't like how it felt. Now while he is perfectly entitled to an opinion, his review is therefore rather far form factual.

I will admit this: I actually like the new suspension, the car no longer crashes like a cheap clapped out pick up truck whenever a pothole cannot be avoided. And the chassis is stiffer than that of the e90 so there you go...

Now I give full cudos to for the ATS as well as the CTS and the SRX all very worthy competitors in their segments. And by the way, there is nothing that will convince me that the current C class can out handle a BMW, sorry, I have driven the current C class - not happening

Ps the light steering on my F30 I no liky - if I get another Bimmer, the new must have option therefore becomes the M Sport package.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 10:27 PM   #476
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You know, I think I will be keeping this heavy car for a while, but I was just curious to know what's out there. If funds were no issue, I'd pick a used Porsche Cayman or a used C6 Z06, kind of no compromise and light track car. So I wanted to go see a Vette and to sit in one, to see if I can live with one, but alas, there were none!

As for the track thing, you should not be worried where your level is. It is important to have fun first, be safe and then fast/quick. When being fast/quick is taking over the fun, or the safety, it's time to back off and regroup/reassess.

That is the reason I never tracked more that 5/6 days a year, nor getting a camera.

Cheers!
If your planning on a Cayman, I would go with the S. For the Vette, I believe the BMW instructor Matt Levine as a Z06 or ZR1 (not sure which one). You should speak to him. What about a Boss 302?

I was never one to overdrive the car on the track, I still have to get home after the event plus I have heard of too many hot heads at some events. 5-6 days per year would be nice and I would like to try new tracks.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 11:58 PM   #477
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:

its never too late to join the gang.... doesnt matter what group you'll be in. i am not ashamed to say that i am one of the slowest among the gang... tony and jgalaxy are always flying by me on the track.

hopefully we'll see you next season!

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 07:03 AM   #478
vanosracing
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post
its never too late to join the gang.... doesnt matter what group you'll be in. i am not ashamed to say that i am one of the slowest among the gang... tony and jgalaxy are always flying by me on the track.

You are absolutely right. Tony has the bug and jgalaxy has one piece of equipment. How are you liking the GT3?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #479
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal red View Post

I'll be joining the gang next year
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #480
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
Wow!! Looks great!! Saw the other pics on zpost
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 06:03 PM   #481
Pseudo Nim
twinborific
Rep
Drives: fast, sometimes slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerista View Post
I just watched the Johnny Lieberman review for MT. Interesting. However the essence of his spiel is that the 3 series is the fastest around the course (which implies excellent handling) but he didn't like how it felt. Now while he is perfectly entitled to an opinion, his review is therefore rather far form factual.

I will admit this: I actually like the new suspension, the car no longer crashes like a cheap clapped out pick up truck whenever a pothole cannot be avoided. And the chassis is stiffer than that of the e90 so there you go...

Now I give full cudos to for the ATS as well as the CTS and the SRX all very worthy competitors in their segments. And by the way, there is nothing that will convince me that the current C class can out handle a BMW, sorry, I have driven the current C class - not happening

Ps the light steering on my F30 I no liky - if I get another Bimmer, the new must have option therefore becomes the M Sport package.
Hmm. Are you saying the M-sport package somehow affects steering response?
      11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #482
kenneth
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
If your planning on a Cayman, I would go with the S. For the Vette, I believe the BMW instructor Matt Levine as a Z06 or ZR1 (not sure which one). You should speak to him. What about a Boss 302?

I was never one to overdrive the car on the track, I still have to get home after the event plus I have heard of too many hot heads at some events. 5-6 days per year would be nice and I would like to try new tracks.
While the stangs are nice track cars, they are heavy, even heavier then the 335. I think they weigh in over 3700 lbs. So looking for 3200 or less as stock weight. If you strip these, you'll be under 3000 lbs. If you strip the stang you'll still be well over 3300 lbs.
      11-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #483
jgalaxy
Gearing
Canada
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, F22 M240

Quote:

One or two events is always fun (You can always do more ). Forget about where everyones skill is. We just have fun together as a happy, albeit disjointed tracking family. You should do a Tremblant and Calbogie event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Bimmer View Post
I'll be joining the gang next year
The schedules should be out shortly. Be sure to look for BMW Quebec Club's events.
      11-25-2012, 09:19 PM   #484
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep

Quote:
You are absolutely right. Tony has the bug and jgalaxy has one piece of equipment. How are you liking the GT3?
my current lap times with the GT3 are actually slower than the m3. i havent been able to fine tune my driving to the car yet. the m3 is way more forgiving and easy to drive at the limit. the p car is a lot more finicky at the edge of grip. the rear is always ready to overtake the front wheels whenever u do something stupid.

i already did a 360 spin at mosport when i made the mistake of taking my foot off the throttle mid corner.

hope to see you at an event next season. tony does way more track days than me so he would have a better idea of the track days in the surrounding area.

Appreciate 0