E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > BP Ultimate 102 octane petrol adds 8% BHP

12-10-2008, 07:11 AM   #23
KD
Private
Rep
Drives: Z3 2.2 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Talking petrol burners here: Never noticed the difference with any of these super mixes and I don't think BMWs are in a high enough state of tune to really allow the petrol to make a difference - although the engines are good they are a long way from being highly tuned (even the M3 great car that it is is hardly pushing the ragged edge of race car engine).

There is a huge placebo effect with cars - I know if I clean mine inside and out, top up the washer fluid, check the tyres and get a full tank of petrol it will feel better afterwards just because I feel better about the car.

Personally I stick to standard unleaded from any of the biggies but tend to avoid supermarket stuff.
Totally agree with the placebo effect with my car - also attributed to the fact my manual recommends 98 RON fuel.

But I can say the engine is MUCH sweeter when running on the "good stuff", but no I cannot say there are any real world performance gains
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2008, 07:13 AM   #24
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Of course there will be no perfromance gains.

I ran supermarket shit when the fuel went up end of lasrt year and after a week or so the DXB felt flat as fuck. Didnt notice at first but after a few weeks i was like WTF.
      12-10-2008, 10:41 AM   #25
creepy coupe
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW M340I G20

Garage List
2015 BMW 435d  [0.00]
2009 335i  [0.00]
My Sister used to work for Tesco's as a manager for 3 of their filling stations, she used to arrange deliveries two a day for some busy forcourts, a very large percentage of their fuels were bought from the major producers, they worked on a "who had it ready to move" basis and would ring around to the major supply depots every day.

Their petrol, like all UK petrol had to meet EN228 standards, so when you go to Tesco's you might be filling with Total, Esso or one of the others.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2008, 02:29 PM   #26
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
Lol you guys crack me up

102 will allow the ignition to advance further... It will also burn "colder" allowing lower EGTs and higher Boost pressures.

On a Procede modded car or a JB3 you would be able to run a hotter map and get potentially, 30 to 40 BHP - I kid you NOT. Check the US forum they call it "race gas" And they run what is the equivilent of 110 Ron over there, (100 to 105 Mon)

I have a funny feeling the BP 102 stuff doesn't maintain it's Octane rating over any length of time... whether it's volatiles venting off, or what I dunno, but Tesco 99 and Shell V power are probably the best options out there, unless you want to mix in a litre or 10 of toluene every time you fill up... I did in all nerdyness look into this, but couldn't find anyone who was willing to supply me a carcinogen in 40 gallon drums

I think Thorney motorsport did a review of the top fuels and Tesco 99 came out on top, it's probably still on their webby. (I think tesco sponsor them though, so how independant it is I dunno!)

No idea how it effects D's but for the bigger P's Run the best fuel you can afford, It will give you more power and better economy... personally I miss Optimax, that stuff ROcked "!##

SJ
      12-14-2008, 07:45 AM   #27
KD
Private
Rep
Drives: Z3 2.2 Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
No idea how it effects D's but for the bigger P's Run the best fuel you can afford, It will give you more power and better economy... personally I miss Optimax, that stuff ROcked "!##

SJ
Spot on. Optimax was the daddy of fuels, was so disappointed when they got rid of it
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2008, 09:41 AM   #28
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
Lol you guys crack me up

I think Thorney motorsport did a review of the top fuels and Tesco 99 came out on top, it's probably still on their webby. (I think tesco sponsor them though, so how independant it is I dunno!)

SJ
Here it is.

http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/t..._Results.shtml