Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Ride much smoother with GY Eagle F1 All Seasons?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

03-06-2008, 11:06 AM   #1
Rekla
Hug the road... Carpe Asphalt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 ///M Coupe

Ride much smoother with GY Eagle F1 All Seasons?

I am considering to put on a full set of Goodyear Eagle F1 All Season tires on my stock 18" sport package 162 wheels. Main reason is I am looking for a smoother ride compared to the stock RFT potenzas. The sport pkg and Bridgestone RFT combo is too stiff for me - Can somebody share his experience regarding how much smoother the ride turned out after putting the Eagles on? Any input on road noice and thread wear is welcome to!

I am planning to keep the same size with the Eagles:
225/40/18 front
255/35/18 rear

Thanks.
      03-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #2
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep
Drives: with 3 pedals

I have those exact sizes, but I mounted them on some ASA rims, which may make a difference in my experience. I happen to really like these tires... they offer really good performance for the price. On dry roads, they seem to handle just as well as the stock runflats. But it is on snow that they really shine. For all season tires, they exceeded my expectations on snow. The tread wear seems to be pretty even now at 6k miles. As far as ride quality, I found it to be only a bit softer than the RFTs. I attribute this to the "carbon fiber" sidewalls that they advertise on these tires. Maybe that creates less roll and improves performance?

The only gripe I have about them is that road noise is noticeable... For me, it isn't enough to stop me from buying another set of these tires unless it gets significantly worse than it is now.

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:19 AM   #3
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

I have had mine on for about 4000 miles now (same setup as you - Sport Pkg 18" staggered wheels). Here are my observations:

Road Noise: More road noise with the F1 All seasons, not a lot more - but enough to notice. Most likely due to the aggressive directional tread of the F1s.

Ride: Two fold. Impacts are smoother and do not jolt the car like the runflats did and there is less high speed 'jiggle' as I like to call it. However, the F1's do not 'roll' as smoothly. There is a slight vibrational rumble over a variety of surfaces and even so over smooth asphalt. It is hard to explain, they just feel 'grainy'. The runflats, while having harsh impacts, just rolled smoother.

Hope that helps. I can tell you that overall I am not too happy with the F1 Allseasons. They do grip well for an A/S tire but in my opinion they just do not complement this type of car. Of course I expect this with an A/S vs. a Summer. I originally thought I could keep these on for the duration of the lease, but I have now decided that I will use the F1 during the winter only - I am going to pick up Michelin PS2 RFTs for the summer.

Another thing about these tires is the section width of the rears. Even in stock size 255/35/18 the section width of the rears are about .8 inches wider than the stock bridgestones. This accounts for some wiggle during spirited driving as the sidewall is allowed to flex a little to much. If BMW had choosen a 9" rear wheel width it would do much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 11:57 AM   #4
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jprieur View Post
I have had mine on for about 4000 miles now (same setup as you - Sport Pkg 18" staggered wheels). Here are my observations:

Road Noise: More road noise with the F1 All seasons, not a lot more - but enough to notice. Most likely due to the aggressive directional tread of the F1s.

Ride: Two fold. Impacts are smoother and do not jolt the car like the runflats did and there is less high speed 'jiggle' as I like to call it. However, the F1's do not 'roll' as smoothly. There is a slight vibrational rumble over a variety of surfaces and even so over smooth asphalt. It is hard to explain, they just feel 'grainy'. The runflats, while having harsh impacts, just rolled smoother.

Hope that helps. I can tell you that overall I am not too happy with the F1 Allseasons. They do grip well for an A/S tire but in my opinion they just do not complement this type of car. Of course I expect this with an A/S vs. a Summer. I originally thought I could keep these on for the duration of the lease, but I have now decided that I will use the F1 during the winter only - I am going to pick up Michelin PS2 RFTs for the summer.

Another thing about these tires is the section width of the rears. Even in stock size 255/35/18 the section width of the rears are about .8 inches wider than the stock bridgestones. This accounts for some wiggle during spirited driving as the sidewall is allowed to flex a little to much. If BMW had choosen a 9" rear wheel width it would do much better.
Let us know how the PS2 RFTs are after you get them!

I mounted the rears on 9.5 inch wide rims, so I probably didn't experience the "wiggle" that you did. I agree with what you said about riding over uneven surfaces though...

Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #5
jprieur
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nj335i View Post
Let us know how the PS2 RFTs are after you get them!

I mounted the rears on 9.5 inch wide rims, so I probably didn't experience the "wiggle" that you did. I agree with what you said about riding over uneven surfaces though...
I am not sure why BMW went with the 8.5" rim width with a 255/35 tire on the rears, your 9.5" is a better fit (at least for handling). They should have at the very least put on a 9"

I am dropping off my car for 15k miles service tomorrow and I am going to see if I can test drive a PS2 RFT equipped E90.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Rekla
United_States
Rep

Would it help if I choose the rear to be:
245/40/18?

What is the difference between the 35 and 40 aspect ratio? Should I expect fitment issues? BTW, these Eagles do not come in 245/35/18...

Oh - another thing, according the calculator, my speedo meter will read 62 at 60 mph. Is the speedo meter derived from the rear (changing setup) or the front (will stay the same)? I'm not so worried about the speedo miles/hour, but the ODO will count faster as well (600 miles = 620 ODO etc)

Last edited by Rekla; 03-06-2008 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #7
Rekla
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I looked at the Goodyear and Bridgestone spec but I could't figure out that the GY are 0.8" wider than the Bridgestones. The manufacturers spec of the same tire sizes shows:
GY - 255/35/18: 10.2 width
BS - 255/35/18: 10.4 width
Is there a difference in where they measure the width?

I'm now considering the 245/40/18 GY on the rear, the spec shows 9.8" width. Is the actual width wider so it comes closer to the original BS?
Will 9.8" tires on 8.5" rims "look" too small and tucked inside the wheel housing on the car?
      03-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #8
nj335i
Modaholic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekla View Post
Would it help if I choose the rear to be:
245/40/18?

What is the difference between the 35 and 40 aspect ratio? Should I expect fitment issues? BTW, these Eagles do not come in 245/35/18...

Oh - another thing, according the calculator, my speedo meter will read 62 at 60 mph. Is the speedo meter derived from the rear (changing setup) or the front (will stay the same)? I'm not so worried about the speedo miles/hour, but the ODO will count faster as well (600 miles = 620 ODO etc)
I would just stick with the stock sizes... 255/35/18 at the rear is fine. I doubt you would have any issues fitting 245/40/18 in the rear. There would be more sidewall and the tire would be taller though.

Appreciate 0
      06-18-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
fastlanez
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' BMW 135i Vert & 09' CanAm

Quote:

I am thinking of buying these tires also. Do you have or anyone else have pics of this tire on the 162 rim so i can get an idea of the sidewall fit compared to the stock RFT?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2008, 07:49 PM   #10
BMW MotorSport
Banned
Rep
Drives: 95 Avus M3 and 07 E90 Fam Car!

Goodyears are one of the best rated tires out there.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 02:43 PM   #11
Insider
Captain
Rep

If you go onto the tirerack.com you will see that the Yokohama Advan S4 all-season tire is rated overall much better than the GoodYear F1 all-season.
      03-29-2009, 04:56 AM   #12
fidozoom
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 BSM M4 Convertible

Very noisy

These tires are great when you get then but in 10K miles expect to have to raise your radio volume when driving... a lot.

These are *very* noisy and I got suckered in with all the great reviews....I truly regret this purchase. Treadwear is miserable as well. 15 months and 13K miles later I am having to replace this tire and it has been noisy for over 6 months now. I am going with the Yokohamas.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Are they high performance enough (or equivalent to our OEMs) for our cars? A salesman took us to lunch in his M35x, and those are the tires he had. I think of a M35 as being a big boat-like touring car.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
Richwm
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90 330i 6MT, 01 E46 330i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
If you go onto the tirerack.com you will see that the Yokohama Advan S4 all-season tire is rated overall much better than the GoodYear F1 all-season.
Well I had Yokohama Advan S4's on my car for 10k miles and got rid of them so I guess I'll stay away from GY F1 AS as well. Thanks for the input all you guys.
Mar 05 Build date,2006 E90 330i, Sport Package, Premium Package, TR MT-1's . V-1 Hard-wired power with custom V-1 Concealment Display . Rear fogs, Rear power outlet's, M short shifter knob, BlackLines, BMW Strut tower bar, CDV Delete, Front M3 wishbones + tension struts, BMW Performance shocks and springs, BMW Performance Brake kit F&R, OEM short shift kit. Rear M3 Guide rods and Wishbones.
2006 E-90 330i with 302,000 miles.
Appreciate 0