E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > Post a picture of your motorcycle

09-02-2012, 04:02 PM   #463
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep
Drives: GT4, Raptor.2, Tuono 1100F

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzy View Post
Last Wednesday, I finished up work and got home. A few of my friends wanted to ride, so we went out. We were going to do our usual ride, twisties and nothing stupid.

One of the guys needs to fill up so we decide to go to a gas station in the vicinity first. A close friend of mine is leading and I am second, followed by two others further back. We come to a light and take a right. He is further ahead as he was able to leave the light first and I followed. As I took the right, I throttled it, nothing out of the ordinary except there supposedly happened to be a cop near by across the intersection that I didn't see.

Me and my friend pull into the local gas station and as soon as we get in there is a cop at the light beside it. He turns in and stop in front of me. Comes out and asks me for my info. I give him my paper work. Goes to his car and comes back, asks me to follow him and then requests I put my hands behind my back and cuffs me. In I go in the back of the cruiser.

He said he saw me gunning it but he was not able to radar me. He then followed and happened to see me at the station. He says it looked like I was going double the speed limit. Anything over 50km/h over posted speed limit classifies as racing in motherfucking Canada.

He says i'm getting charged with that and that he doesn't need radar proof to charge me with a racing charge. If he had me on radar he could charge me with racing and speeding.

He goes on to spin the entire story saying that I tried to hide at the gas station which is plain and open site. I said I never tried to run or hide. I didn't even know he was looking for me or after me as he didn't even turn his lights on or anything.

He said he didn't want to chase me and he said by chance I happened to be at the gas station, otherwise he would have never gotten me. He said this himself.

Now I have a court date for the end of October. My licence was suspended for 7 days and bike impounted for 7 days. Just got them back yesterday.
fuckin ridiculous! my condolences. canadians dont fuck around with their traffic laws. some guy on the duc board lost his bike for good because he was way over the limit
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:33 PM   #464
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

In other news, I watched a spaniard chuck a brand new panigale down the track today.
      09-02-2012, 06:12 PM   #465
Razzy
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: N/A

Also in other news, my buddy went down again this season on back roads. Same stretch of twisties he went down on earlier in the season. Happened right in front of me. Typical low side and slid onthe right side, sparks and all. Ended up in a patch of grass.

His first year of riding, on a 250. In fact 3 of my friends started riding this season, all on 250's and they've all lowsided this season.

Atleast they went down during twisties and "hard" riding as opposed to beginner mistakes in the city.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #466
ddk632
Chief Senior Executive Managing VP of Orange Sales
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 BMW F87 M2 6MT MG HBDGR !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEI-135i View Post
My 2006 Ninja 500R with my 1er

I'm a newbie to bikes, my first ride, just got it like a week ago.

man aint riding FUN...!!
Congrats on getting your first bike, ride safe and keep the shiny side up! Great choice of bike, too.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #467
scollins
Bootleggin' 'n Gunrunnin'
Rep
Drives: 2024 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital.James View Post
ducatis are bad enough with their dry clutches (love the way they look and sound), but add in a slipper and gasp!
I honestly have no idea what this means......
2013 Ducati Multistrada Touring S, Red
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #468
scollins
Rep

I call this one "Almost there......."

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 09:57 PM   #469
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
I honestly have no idea what this means......
let me see things I can point out with the dry clutch
1) loud and noisy, but of course most ducasti can't live without it and are endeared to them.
2) overheat at the track frequently
3) short life spans
4) grabby, and rough engagement, but can be subjective i suppose

you've obviously never riden a wet clutch duc yet, much smoother and quieter! i've owned both, and i would never go back to a dry clutch
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:05 PM   #470
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
1) loud and noisy, but of course most ducasti can't live without it and are endeared to them.
3) short life spans

you've obviously never riden a wet clutch duc yet, much smoother and quieter! i've owned both, and i would never go back to a dry clutch
All this is true but I still like the dry clutch though.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 10:10 PM   #471
CamelBiscuit
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 E92 335i

Garage List
2011 E92 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
a bike with a properly set up suspension doest need a steering damper, because it doesnt have headshake problems. most guys who have tank slappers have setup their suspensions poorly, usually too stiff.

different school of thought, and everyone is different, but i wouldnt want a slipper for my road bike. ducatis are bad enough with their dry clutches (love the way they look and sound), but add in a slipper and gasp!
Also a tank slapper can happen from death gripping the bars. The vibration will travel through your arms and then down your body to the rear and that's when it gets bad. A steering damper will help when you are leaned over and the front wheel comes off the ground. Ask Lascorz.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:03 AM   #472
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
Also a tank slapper can happen from death gripping the bars. The vibration will travel through your arms and then down your body to the rear and that's when it gets bad. A steering damper will help when you are leaned over and the front wheel comes off the ground. Ask Lascorz.
a death grip is not a cause of quick oscillation aka tank slappers, but makes it worse. when some force causes the front wheel to travel side to side such as your wheel getting some type of deflection, that causes oscillation. true, a death grip will let that oscillation travel through the body
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 12:08 AM   #473
mike the snake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

True. It's the same with race cars, once you learn to relax, release the death grip on the wheel, you learn that the car/bike will do what it's supposed to do with just the proper, minimal inputs (and good setup).
A good example is that guy in the other thread here that has only his left arm and left leg, but kicks ass on the racetrack on his superbike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamelBiscuit View Post
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 01:57 AM   #474
scollins
Rep

Quote:
3) short life spans

I have ridden the MTS1200 and the Panigale S, both with wet clutches. My previous bike was also a wet clutch. Are wet clutches easier? Yeah, most times. Are they quieter? Sure, if that is an issue for you.

But...
1.) Yes, I like the noise....

2.) Really? Haven't heard of that from any of the other Duc riders at the track. Yes, there are a lot of Duc riders at the track. I've seen far more there than at Starbuck's. Mine certainly hasn't overheated. Doesn't seem to affect the motogp riders either (well, unless your name happens to be Spies......)

3.) Dry clutches can last just as long, if not longer than wet clutches. Your car has a dry clutch. I think if wet clutches were superior to dry clutches, then we'd seem in automotive applications all the time, but we don't. Plus, how much does a clutch pack rebuild cost on a wet clutch? I can swap out my plates in less than an hour, with no oil to mess either, paying between $150 and $400 for plates (depending on manufacturer.)

4.) It was at first, then I learned how to modulate it properly and now the clutch is not grabby, rough or anything. Just have to learn the bike, like any other bike.

There are a lot of myths about owning Ducatis, most of which are no longer applicable or true. But those myths have doomed the Ducati dry clutch now. There is only 1 current 2012 Ducati with a dry clutch, the Hypermotard 1100. Every other Ducati now has a wet clutch. I bet by 2013, you won't find a single new Duc with a dry clutch.

But that is why there are different bike manufacturers out there. To each their own!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 06:04 AM   #475
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
a bike with a properly set up suspension doest need a steering damper, because it doesnt have headshake problems. most guys who have tank slappers have setup their suspensions poorly, usually too stiff.
No. You can't guarantee landing the front wheel perfectly in-line when you come down from even a slight wheelie. You just can't. It's like saying you can feel traction better than a good traction control system. I'd rather have it than not. Then, there are bumps that you also have no control over. The fact that Kawa can offer both at $9,999 in 2011 means it's doable. Other marques just have bigger margins.
      09-03-2012, 08:22 AM   #476
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelthepsycho View Post
No. You can't guarantee landing the front wheel perfectly in-line when you come down from even a slight wheelie. You just can't. It's like saying you can feel traction better than a good traction control system. I'd rather have it than not. Then, there are bumps that you also have no control over. The fact that Kawa can offer both at $9,999 in 2011 means it's doable. Other marques just have bigger margins.
that would be considered rider error, not a bike causing the wobble. switching your weight towards the front and relaxing your grip and arms solves that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins
have ridden the MTS1200 and the Panigale S, both with wet clutches. My previous bike was also a wet clutch. Are wet clutches easier? Yeah, most times. Are they quieter? Sure, if that is an issue for you.

But...
1.) Yes, I like the noise....

2.) Really? Haven't heard of that from any of the other Duc riders at the track. Yes, there are a lot of Duc riders at the track. I've seen far more there than at Starbuck's. Mine certainly hasn't overheated. Doesn't seem to affect the motogp riders either (well, unless your name happens to be Spies......)

3.) Dry clutches can last just as long, if not longer than wet clutches. Your car has a dry clutch. I think if wet clutches were superior to dry clutches, then we'd seem in automotive applications all the time, but we don't. Plus, how much does a clutch pack rebuild cost on a wet clutch? I can swap out my plates in less than an hour, with no oil to mess either, paying between $150 and $400 for plates (depending on manufacturer.)

4.) It was at first, then I learned how to modulate it properly and now the clutch is not grabby, rough or anything. Just have to learn the bike, like any other bike.

There are a lot of myths about owning Ducatis, most of which are no longer applicable or true. But those myths have doomed the Ducati dry clutch now. There is only 1 current 2012 Ducati with a dry clutch, the Hypermotard 1100. Every other Ducati now has a wet clutch. I bet by 2013, you won't find a single new Duc with a dry clutch.

But that is why there are different bike manufacturers out there. To each their own!
you're living in the pacific northwest, cooler temps. when i lived in cali, my gixxer 750 track bike never felt any different under the same conditions, but my 998 with EVR slipper and open cover would start feeling super sluggish and start groaning after one session.

dry clutches are definitely easier to swap out, and motogp bikes all have em. but, everyone else has wet clutches... so not sure what that tells us. ive owned two dry clutch ducs, now a wet clutch one. for all the character the dry clutches had, i miss the sound and look. but i dont miss the drivability, especially in town. low speed activity is definitely, the only true character i like in wet clutches. the launches are epic.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #477
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
I know one of you guys has to be able to answer this for me. I've never participated in track days on a bike, only in a car. Sometimes when we are done the bikes will go later in the day. Why is it that all the street bikes out there tape off all of the lights on the bike? And the full on race bikes have no lights? With our cars it a requirement to have headlights and brake lights so I know there has to be a reason.

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 09:43 AM   #478
.b0link
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 LMB 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scollins View Post
Too true. I laugh every time someone tries to talk like they know what they are talking about....

"Oh the XXX Ducati's are nice, but I can't stand dry clutches"

1. Bet you have never ridden anythng with a dry clutch before, to justify a comparison or opinion.
2. XXX Ducati has a wet clutch.

Im with you on the sound. It can be an acquired taste for some, but to me its a unique and nasty (good nasty) sound that is all part of the Ducati allure
      09-03-2012, 08:15 PM   #479
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Just got back from a ~800 mile trip this weekend on my 'dry clutch' bike.

DC area to camping in northern Pennsylvania. Had a fun / challenging off-road section getting to where we camped out.

Lots of rain today on my 5.5 hour ride home - luckily had my rainsuit packed.

Here are some of my pictures:

Packed up and leaving

Break in Honesdale, PA

After making it up to our camp

So other misc pictures throughout the weekend

offroad toys

family members dog likes the multistrada

Hope everyone had a safe ride this weekend.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold

Last edited by fitchesbass; 09-04-2012 at 10:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:21 PM   #480
fitchesbass
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

I have a 2004 Multistrada with a dry clutch and have also extensively ridden also a wet clutch 2012 Multistrada 1200S.

If I had to compare the feel I'd say the newer multi with the wet clutch is a lot more forgiving and reminds me more of driving a VW Jetta. Newer generation VW manuals drive so effortlessly and without much feedback in my opinion. My current multi with a dry clutch feels more sporty in response, more like shifting a sports car with a tight response.

That's how I personally feel about the difference - maintenance and other aspects aside. No doubt everyone is going to argue about what's better and it's probably a matter of preference. Sometimes I wish I had a wet clutch and other times I really enjoy the dry clutch feel.

Dry clutch sound is badass IMO.
E86 Z4M - Sold
E36 M3 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #481
HotIce
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

2013 - Return of the Kawa 636?!?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #482
michaelthepsycho
Lieutenant Colonel
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: 11 Montego Blue E90 335i Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated ///M View Post
2013 - Return of the Kawa 636?!?
If so, I'll be first in line.
      09-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #483
Hawkeye
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 Coupe, '21 X3, '16 GMC

Garage List
Congrats KEI! Riding sure is a blast!
2021 BMW x30i • Phytonic Blue Metallic • Fully loaded
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2012, 08:57 PM   #484
Digital.James
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by .b0link View Post
Too true. I laugh every time someone tries to talk like they know what they are talking about....

"Oh the XXX Ducati's are nice, but I can't stand dry clutches"

1. Bet you have never ridden anythng with a dry clutch before, to justify a comparison or opinion.
2. XXX Ducati has a wet clutch.

Im with you on the sound. It can be an acquired taste for some, but to me its a unique and nasty (good nasty) sound that is all part of the Ducati allure
No one's arguing the aesthetic aspect of the dry clutch, because 99% of Ducastisti prefer the looks and sounds of the dry clutch. Why would Ducati alienate probably the most faithful motorcycle buyer? Most Ducati owners are older, experienced riders, who own more then one bike.
From Ducati's own website:
The Monster 1100EVO features a new wet clutch which ensures quiet operation and long life. In addition, the progressive self-servo mechanism reduces the lever effort at the handlebar and makes the Monster even more practical in traffic. The Monster 1100EVO wet clutch works with a race-like ‘slipper’ system which reduces the destabilizing effect of the rear-end under aggressive down-shifting, and compared with other wet clutch used so far by Ducati, features an additional cush-drive damper mechanism which smoothes the repeated transition from drive to over-run during stop-start traffic.

The 848EVO engine include a sophisticated wet clutch that weighs 1kg (2.2lbs) less than its dry counterpart, has a much longer service life, improved clutch feel and quieter operation.

The Testastretta 11° engine transmits drive to a sophisticated wet clutch that is a full kilo lighter than the corresponding dry version; it is also characterised by enhanced durability, improved 'feel' and lower noise levels, making riding a real pleasure whatever the circumstances.

So even Ducati claims longer life, better lever effort, and smoother low speed activity. Some people just fear change, and can't let progression go.

Last edited by Digital.James; 09-04-2012 at 09:02 PM..
Appreciate 0