E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Marketing or Tuning. Now THAT is the question. Vishnu PROcede V2 update

Closed Thread

06-05-2007, 11:05 PM   #1
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Smile Marketing or Tuning. Now THAT is the question. Vishnu PROcede V2 update

Hi guys,
We've been a bit quiet these last couple of weeks. Perhaps one could consider this to be the quiet before the storm.

First, let's take a few steps back:

We've always fancied ourselves as being innovators, not copy-cats. We've always approached tuning solutions our own way. At first, we're usually met with derision from "established" tuners. Tuners that proudly state that they've been tuning for XX years, have tons of technicians, lots of lifts and so forth. Well, in the end, it's the actions that speak the most loudly. Not talk.

When we first entered the BMW market with our Xede application that we developed, we were met with skepticism and hostility from just about all the established BMW tuners. They claimed that the ECU would "learn" around the Xede. They claimed that an interceptor approach to tuning wasn't a feasible solution. Some (cough cough.. Turner) have even spread rumors that we were blowing up motors during our development period. Since then, more than a few of them have approached us requesting private label deals, reselling, etc,. We turned all of them down.

Late last year, towards the end of our beta period, we discarded the Xede in favor of something more sophisticated and better suited for where we saw the N54 going as a tuning platform. We knew what we wanted to do and we knew we couldn't do it with the Xede for a number of reasons. So, to many peoples' surprise, we abandoned the Xede and developed our own proprietary computer (PROcede). Vastly different hardware. Different software. Different manufacturers. Not one thing is the same other than the off-the-shelf Deutch enclosure.

Once we abandoned the Xede that we used during the initial beta testing period (it never made its way into production), it was quickly adopted by many of the established tuners who initially expressed disapproval of it! Again, actions speak louder than words. After that, more talk ensued. Talk about how the Xede works just like the PROcede. Talk about how we abandoned the Xede for political reasons. Talk about how all the development we did wasn't really that hard and that they could have done it themselves if they wanted to or weren't so busy with other projects.

We just smiled and took the copy-catting as a compliment

And time moved on. While everyone was busy trying to convince customers that they were the real experts in this market and that they were offering something "just as good as" our PROcede, we were steadily developing new PROcede updates, improving both functionality and performance. Because in the end, actions speak louder than words. God, I love that phrase.

And that brings us to our most recent round of developments. Specifically version 2 of the PROcede software. It involves a simple 30 second software update for current PROcede users, using a laptop computer. It makes many functionality changes to the way the PROcede currently works. It has been tested quite thoroughly on our shop car (more on that later). Next, it will be tested on a few dozen customers who are ready and willing beta testers. At this time, we are working on the user software so ensure a smooth and seamless update. It will not be officially released with new PROcede orders for some time. Those who are already running a PROcede will be first to get behind the wheel of v2.

So what does it do?

We're not telling. Just yet, at least. But lets just say that a hunch of ours paid off and that we are taking advantage of some of the potential we engineered into the PROcede.

What we can say is that it vastly improves power output. It also has a postive and noticeable effect on partial throttle driveability and power delivery. It also has a couple of features designed specifically for heat management which is especially useful for those who run their cars at the track and/or don't have the optional Sport Package oil cooler. Also has provisions for managing drivetrain stresses. Again, really nifty stuff. A few of these ideas materialized from the work we are doing on the new Mini Cooper (direct injection turbocharged valvetronic BMW motor) and the Porsche 996tt/997tt (just baddass awd with variable turbo nozzle geometry). I think that goes to show that specializing on 1 kind of car, for a very long time, rarely improves the breed. Sometimes you need to try new approaches, on vastly different platforms, and think along different lines to get the best results.

And the results on 93oct with our exhaust system:
(same day, same dyno, within a 15 minute period)

Stock (just exhaust, no PROcede) 289whp 299lbft
with PROcede v1.45 332whp 380lbft
with PROcede v2.0beta 376whp 406lbft

v2.0beta gains over stock ECU: 87whp 107lbft
v2.0beta gains over v1.45: 42whp 26lbft

v2.0beta gains over a totally stock car (estimated): 100whp 126lbft

Dyno Graph:
Stock ECU vs. v1.45 vs. v2.0beta
WHP and Torque

So how does it drive?

Geezus. Whereas the standard PROcede map would pull hard up to 5500-5800 and then soften up a bit, v2.0beta just rips towards redline. Power never seems to fall off. Drives just like a proper M-motor in the way that it loves revs. But unlike an M-motor, it makes simply staggering levels of low end and midrange torque. Truly an incredible powerplant. I just went out for another drive while I was writing this post to remind myself what it feels like

So what is next?

There is still quite a bit of mapping to do before the calibration is to be considered complete. Today was more like a maiden voyage on the dyno than anything else. What we'll probably end up doing is dialing torque back to the 380-390lbft range while still keeping power in the 370-380whp range. This should make for a real nice, natural feeling engine that doesn't induce excessive drivetrain stress. We haven't even come close to fully enhancing the 2000-3000rpm torque output yet. We will see that part of the curve fill out nicely. We'll probably get another 2000-3000 miles of hard testing on our car before updating beta customers.

But so far, we're really happy with the initial results. As far as hp gains go, it's like putting another PROcede on top of a car that already has a PROcede Still have some more work to do. But hopefully this update brings to light what we do. And more importantly, what we don't do.

Things are looking very bright for all you current and future PROcede users

We'd like to thank ALL of you for your ongoing support. If it wasn't for all the positive feedback and business, we would never have been able to invest this much development time into our product. Thanks for sticking by us through all the silly flame wars, posturing and e-shananegans. Hats off to you guys more than anyone else.

Best Regards,
All the nerds at Vishnu Performance Systems

Last edited by OpenFlash; 06-05-2007 at 11:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:09 PM   #2
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Cant wait for that email...

Awesome write up shiv.

I cant talk for all the procede consumers but, as for myself youve been very helpful live and over the computer.

I have no complaints, and hope that the new v2.0 will bring more for to the community.

Those gains are nice. Really happy about it since you didnt even need the 100 octane either. Cant wait to see what 100 octane brings to the table.
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #3
Straz M3
Never Lose
Rep
Drives: 2011.75 E92 M3

I am so happy I chose PROcede...Shiv I am ready when you are to test this baby out...
      06-05-2007, 11:14 PM   #4
Neema
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: a few BMWs

I was sold months ago when I purchased the PROcede but after over a month of waiting had to cancel due to financial things that came up. But now Im sold again. I will most deff. buy a PROcede! And sounds good, Im glad that your talking about drive train stress, heat, and other important issues that should always go hand in hand with creating more power (no one wants power at the cost of a poor running engine with lots of issues)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:18 PM   #5
BoostedBMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: TiAg E92 335

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
When I read this stuff I feel like a crack head that just scored a fix. Keep up the great work Shiv. I'm looking forward to hearing more updates. In the mean time i'll keep breaking my engine in (only at 300 miles).

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #6
uhaulball
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: e90 330xi

i was here for the entire ride from Shiv coming here with his Xede and now the 2.0 ; that is a very accurate telling of what happened.

wow, a whopping 87whp Gain. I WISH i could get that on these NA engines.
      06-05-2007, 11:21 PM   #7
y2b3k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

1 phrase: HOLY SHAT!!

I guess the difference between AA, RD Black Box, and ProCede just got A LOT bigger, lol =D Christ that's amazing!! Now we'll see if AA and RD Sport plan on copying Shiv Again, and move toward the Haltec system and ditch the Xede?? =P

And Terry, no ProCede for you =( Guess you'll have to make do with the AA Xede for now and let the V2 Beta ProCede boys pass you on the track... But knowing you, I'm guessing you'll try to bad mouth the ProCede yet again, lol

And Shiv, Those graphs Look SOOOO damn beautiful, i'm going to cry, lmao =)

Vote Shiv for God status? LOL, j/k, but he really pulls things out of the hat and surprises everyone =D
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:22 PM   #8
BMWPower06
A^M=G is nothing w/o the Power of ///M
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M5 & ///M3

HOLY $hit 380whp this is exciting news shiv great work
      06-05-2007, 11:24 PM   #9
mayno
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i / 2018 BMW 430i Conv

Shiv, you are almost officially a GOD! Once 2.0 is released to the masses, you will be GOD!

seriously though, this is awesome news! i'm so glad I chose your product over others! keep up the great work!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:28 PM   #10
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Oh Shiv, you're a competent tuner but the self-promotion and marketing BS makes it hard to take you seriously. I suppose it's fortunate you broke in to the BMW and Porsche markets; I doubt the Subaru guys are naive enough to fall for this dialog…
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #11
Terry335
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2b3k View Post
1 phrase: HOLY SHAT!!

I guess the difference between AA, RD Black Box, and ProCede just got A LOT bigger, lol =D Christ that's amazing!! Now we'll see if AA and RD Sport plan on copying Shiv Again, and move toward the Haltec system and ditch the Xede?? =P

And Terry, no ProCede for you =( Guess you'll have to make do with the AA Xede for now and let the V2 Beta ProCede boys pass you on the track... But knowing you, I'm guessing you'll try to bad mouth the ProCede yet again, lol

And Shiv, Those graphs Look SOOOO damn beautiful, i'm going to cry, lmao =)
Sold the Xede a few weeks ago to make my own thing.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:29 PM   #12
CaptChaos
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Grey

Very very impressive.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #13
roller84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & E60 550i

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
When do you *suspect* you will be releasing v2.0 to existing procede owners?
Pure S2 Turbos | Vargas Outlets | RB Inlets | OEM SS Kit & Performance Steering Wheel| LCI Rear Conversion | Euro Xenons | RD Sport Quad Exhaust | Spearco Intercooler | Cobb V3 | MORR VS7 | KW V3 | H&R Sways | Mtech Bodykit | Vorsteiner CF Hood, CSL Trunk & Front Lip | Quaife LSD | Rotora BBK | GruppeM Intake | Forge UK DV | AR Design Catted DP's
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #14
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
Thanks for the kind words guys. Also, pls ignore the troll. He'd love to take this thread off topic.

roller84: As soon as the updating software application is written and fully tested, we'll start updating beta testers. That will probably take 2-3 weeks. During that time, I'll be able to further refine the maps and do a bunch more road testing.

shiv
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:35 PM   #15
Ryan@Motorwerks
Captain
Rep
Drives: X3M

did you up the boost any more?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
LACA335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i coupe Black AUTO

Garage List
2007 335I SEDAN  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walked U View Post
Cant wait for that email...

Awesome write up shiv.

I cant talk for all the procede consumers but, as for myself youve been very helpful live and over the computer.

I have no complaints, and hope that the new v2.0 will bring more for to the community.

Those gains are nice. Really happy about it since you didnt even need the 100 octane either. Cant wait to see what 100 octane brings to the table.

Dude i dont know about you. i want m-power and speed.. that car transmission will handle well with that stressing out a little. dont worry about it.. Do u think m3 08 ride is smooth Heck No.. drive like a beast.. they dont call it Street Racing Car version for nothing
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:40 PM   #17
Walked U
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoostedBMW View Post
When I read this stuff I feel like a crack head that just scored a fix. Keep up the great work Shiv. I'm looking forward to hearing more updates. In the mean time i'll keep breaking my engine in (only at 300 miles).
Crack ftw
Ferrari 575 SA, 458 Italia
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #18
hensta
I see old people
United_States
Rep
Drives: too slow in my '08 335i coupe

Fantastic work! No doubt this V 2.0 will incorporate some type of overboost for 10-15 seconds ala 997 tt. But the final exam bonus point question is HOW will it stack up against the mighty 3500 lb '08 M3 with DSG.

Forget 0-60 or 1/4 mile times. We're talking 30-150 mph real world mano y mano comparison like they are doing on the m5/6 board here:

I'm staying tuned as this chapter writes itself out over the next year. Very exciting and hats off to you Shiv.

Last edited by hensta; 06-06-2007 at 12:16 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #19
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Great job shiv! I can't wait for the update, and I too appreciate you taking careful considerations for the well being of our engines, and not just looking at raw power.

oh, troll ignored.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:42 PM   #20
Kbueno
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

"actions speak louder than words."

-They absolutely do Shiv...can't wait for V2! You have quite a following here and shouldn't worry about the other jealous copycats. Keep up the great tuning and support!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #21
Calvin@Vishnu
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Hi guys,
Best Regards,
All the nerds at Vishnu Performance Systems
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 11:44 PM   #22
y2b3k
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Craziness! Hey Shiv, get working on those high flow Downpipes and Headers, LOL =D MORE POWER, MORE POWER!! *Chant* + LSD and maybe some manufacturers can start working on a stronger MT... Shiv, time to subcontract out some of these innovations, lol.

To BMW's 2008 M3: Bye bye bye, rofl!! Hmmmm for around $3k we can get 375whp and 380 lb/tq, Wowzers! That leaves a lot of $$ left over to upgrade suspension bits and lighten the 335i.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread