E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 2nd winter with black Style 156 wheels and 195mm winter tyres

02-15-2013, 05:19 PM   #1
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90

2nd winter with black Style 156 wheels and 195mm winter tyres

Hello everyone

I've been running the Style 156 wheels and 195mm winter tyres on the E90 every winter since the purchase of the car. The winter setup goes on the car in late October / early November. The summer wheels and tyres go on the car in early April. There is no winter really, but a few times Ive been saved. If the summer wheels were on the car all year long, these would not last very long and would require respraying after a few years. Also the wide, expensive tyres wouldnt last as long and most of all I would get bored of these wheels. Every time the summer comes, there is that little feel of hapiness and changes make people happy Summer wheels are always cleaned and waxed before going to our attic. The set of brand new winter tyres cost around £250 delivered from Germany.

September 2011 - ready for the winter :

Winter 2011/12 :

Winter 2012/13 :

Feel free to post some photos of your winter setup

Regards

Last edited by Matrez; 02-16-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Over 100 views and no comments... Strange. I assume you hate the look of the winter wheels. Anyway thanks for looking

PS. Just added a few more photos.
      02-16-2013, 10:52 AM   #3
xPETEZx
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Golf R

I like the look.
Never really like the style 156, but in black they look good.
Especially with the silver lip and your silver car.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
AdamC
Captain
Rep
Drives: LCI M135i

Garage List
Pretty tidy for winter wheels, especially in black.
Like you said, having these on all winter means its a treat when the summer wheels get to go back on.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 11:54 AM   #5
stroberaver
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X3 G01 M40i

Looks good to me. Personally I'd be happy to run around on steelies during the winter if/when I get some winter tyres. No worries about the salt, corrosion, etc! Finding 17" or 18" steel wheels (I've read that 16" won't fit over the 335's brakes) is a different matter, though...
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2013, 01:14 PM   #6
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
I bought a set of 17" wheels of a member on here to use as my winter wheels, they are genuine bmw wheels, but I'm unsure of the model/type name,but i think they are the same as yours. I'm hoping to give the car a good clean tomorrow as its in desperate need of it. If I manage to get it done, I'll post up some pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 10:21 AM   #7
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by xPETEZx View Post
I like the look.
Never really like the style 156, but in black they look good.
Especially with the silver lip and your silver car.
Yes, I also dislike the looks of standard 156 Style wheels, thats why I refreshed these Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamC View Post
Pretty tidy for winter wheels, especially in black.
Like you said, having these on all winter means its a treat when the summer wheels get to go back on.
Yes, exactly Every time a Spring time comes it makes it a little more exciting lol Thanks for the comment !

Quote:
Originally Posted by stroberaver View Post
Looks good to me. Personally I'd be happy to run around on steelies during the winter if/when I get some winter tyres. No worries about the salt, corrosion, etc! Finding 17" or 18" steel wheels (I've read that 16" won't fit over the 335's brakes) is a different matter, though...
It would be better of with a steelies as you say, but when I bought the 19'' summer wheels I had to do something with the 16'' ones so thought of selling the 205mm summer tyres and getting some brand new winter ones. To be honest I bought the cheapest winter tyres available at 60 pounds each The 335 has huge brakes so I would think you need at least 17'' or even maybe 18''. Thanks for the comment !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
I bought a set of 17" wheels of a member on here to use as my winter wheels, they are genuine bmw wheels, but I'm unsure of the model/type name,but i think they are the same as yours. I'm hoping to give the car a good clean tomorrow as its in desperate need of it. If I manage to get it done, I'll post up some pics.
I am looking forward to your photos. I think you have a better model of wheels as I have just 16''. You probably have these :

These look pretty similar but at the size of 17'' these will look a lot better Thank you.
      02-18-2013, 12:20 PM   #8
dufctubs
Private
Rep
Drives: F11

Not the best looking but the best for me never been stuck yet ......amazing the difference they make....

Although cant wait unitil it's back to summer mode !!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:51 PM   #9
New_m3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

A photo of my winter setup from a couple of weeks ago. Vredestein Wintrac Xtremes are great in the snow!

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #10
Matrez
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dufctubs View Post
Not the best looking but the best for me never been stuck yet ......amazing the difference they make....

Although cant wait unitil it's back to summer mode !!

Nice looking car The winter wheels are not there for looks, so it really doesnt matter Looking so nice on the summer wheels, when are you putting these back on ?