E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > *** Calling All Members With Problems With The 320i ***

06-18-2012, 06:15 AM   #1013
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by terenam View Post
Excellent idea. Had my 320i for six years no issues so far.....
+1
had it for about an year now. No issues around coil pack.
Only little niggles and that is down to poor designing of engine.
      07-24-2012, 06:06 AM   #1014
MKII
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: E92 320i Coupe

Hello guys,

Bought some months ago a new 320i. I thought it was a realy bargain so did not take much time going through the various forums.

After 6000km the oil light was on. I called to book an oil check, but the lady at the service desk suggested that most probable the light was on for the two year service since the car was build in March 2010. That was my first shock.

I always felt that car behaved a bid weird but I thought this was just to my inexperence with Auto transmission. Car felt really sluggish in D mode so I always had in
Sport mode. I also noticed that consumption was high at combined for 6000km isr at 9.7 l/100km despite the fact that half of that was done on motorway. I will reset now and try to behave to see whether this will make any difference. Btw I always had the impression that under sport mode the car was more economical. Consumption is stuck max even at the softer pressing of the paddle, therefore I thought is better just to have it iin sport to have a faster acceleration and then just keep the rpms steady.
Does this have to do with the NO2 sensor?

I started investigating a bid on this and came accrossyour post yesterday. As you guessed first thing this morning I call the retailer to figure out what engine my car carries and guess what , is indeed the N43. Second suprise.

I bought the car omostly because of the reliability my dad's 320d E46 presented and also that the e92 was towards the end of its production cycle therefore I assumed all known mistakes should habe already been fixed.

You can imagine my disappointment when I realised that the car I bought is anything but that....

I want to get rid of the car before it starts creating problems.

I am thinking suggesting the dealer to swap the e92 for a 120d that was my original intention before I start facing the same problems.

What do you think is is a fair deal? Are you aware of any reliability issuses with the 120d? Is it the same engine as in the e90? It came to my notice an issue on blown turbos.

Should I just keep the e92 and just hope? I already experience a couple of times taking a bit longer than normal to start up , is it a first sign?

Is there any chance that my car is fitted with the bosch coils that supposingly (and hopefully) fix this issue?

I know that is a lot of questions in one post and most probable this have been answered somewhere else in the forum but I would really appreciate your kind reply since I am in worried.
I bought this car mostly on the grounds of the reliability we have faced with my dad’s e46.

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2012, 01:01 PM   #1015
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320i M-Sport

Called the dealer earlier, asked if the coil recall on my car had been carried out, they checked my chassis number on the system and seems it hasn't.

Car is booked in next week for 4 new coils FOC, hopefully that should sort my hesitancy and rough idle when cold!

Last edited by Dragon88; 08-22-2012 at 01:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #1016
MKII
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: E92 320i Coupe

Spoke to the dealer in CY,

Service guy mentioned that BMW has used in total 7 different types of coil packs in 90 series. It seems that there has been a factory recall for all but the last two sets of coils used on N43 engine.
Mine for example is not wearing the latest version but still no recall from the factory for it.

My concern is that why did they change the coilpack if no problems then? Maybe not enough customers comlained yet to recall.

Anyways, service guy took the car for a test drive and told me that car is running perfect. To prove me that my car had no missfire issues he let me sit in a car that was running on 3 cylinders (was in for coil change suprise) .
In my opinion was way too "shaky" to be the same symptom as missfire.

I booked a diagnostic test next week.

Still the car does not seem to beahave correctly, or at least evenly, some times is running extremely smoothly and seems powerfull and urgent to move ahead, and sometimes like hesistating or engine is about to die on braking.

Does anyone know whether the hesistation in 1500rpm-2000rpm is been affected by any external factors?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #1017
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon88 View Post
Called the dealer earlier, asked if the coil recall on my car had been carried out, they checked my chassis number on the system and seems it hasn't.

Car is booked in next week for 4 new coils FOC, hopefully that should sort my hesitancy and rough idle when cold!
Well I had all four ignition coils replaced just now, car does certainly seem to pull better and feels less sluggish.

Those who haven't yet, I recommend giving your dealer a call and ask for your coils to be replaced under the 'product enhancement' scheme.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 01:49 AM   #1018
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Well a year on since my coil packs where replaced, and yesterday for no reason orange engine light came on and engine went into safety mode !.

Pulled over and restarted the car and it recovered, but I am hoping this is not the start of a new problem with the coils.

Has anyone else suffered a reoccurrence ?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2012, 04:01 AM   #1019
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Booked my car in for a service next week and I was told that the coils were being replaced under warranty again (despite the car being out of warranty since last December).

It's about a year since the coils were last replaced and, to be honest, the car has been going pretty well for the last 12 months. It's no ball of fire, but the previous set of coils and injectors had made a big improvement.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 11:59 AM   #1020
Faithfull
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d E90

Afternoon Gents,

I've got a chance to get out of my 57 plate 320i (with 105k) and into a 58 plate 320i with 30k on the clock for not alot of money.

The engine management light/lack of power/slight mis-fire have occured pretty much since i purchased her back in feburary.

Is the problem still apparant in later model 320's or with low mileage or could i see the same faults?

Its also an auto im looking at as opposed the my current 320 which is a manual. Is there any issues with the auto box i should be worried about.

Kind Regards,

Adi
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2012, 01:48 PM   #1021
oldnail
Private
Rep
Drives: G20 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faithfull View Post
Afternoon Gents,

I've got a chance to get out of my 57 plate 320i (with 105k) and into a 58 plate 320i with 30k on the clock for not alot of money.

The engine management light/lack of power/slight mis-fire have occured pretty much since i purchased her back in feburary.

Is the problem still apparant in later model 320's or with low mileage or could i see the same faults?

Its also an auto im looking at as opposed the my current 320 which is a manual. Is there any issues with the auto box i should be worried about.

Kind Regards,

Adi
My car is a 58 plate LCI 318i, only 27k on it and I've owned it from new. I've never experienced the engine management light. However, up until I got the last set of injectors, coils and spark plugs in September 2011, I was experiencing a lack of power and mis-fires very regularly. Touch wood, the car has been OK since last September, it gets serviced this week and, as mentioned will get another set of coils under warranty at the same time.

Mine's a manual so I cannot really comment about the auto box.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2012, 04:07 AM   #1022
Adil
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E46 330ci M Sport

Hi All,

I;ve recently purchased a 2008 e92 320i SE Auto, 23k on the clock and have owned it for about 4 months when yest the engine light came on and the car got a bit jerky and then went off and back to normal. This has happened twice now. Took it to my local indy for diagnostic as the onbaord computer didnt show any fault when i searched through the radio. The diagnosis showed that cylidner 1 is misfiring. However i've been told that as its an intermittent problem at the moment they can't tell if its a coil problem or any other problem which it could be.

Should I try and contact my local dealer and find out if the car is eligable for coil pack recall? The car is still within 6month warranty which i got from the trader I bought it from. I was thinking of going BMW AUC when it ends.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #1023
1j1o1n1o1
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i coupe e92

i have just brought a 320i coupe, it had been running fine for about a week but yesterday whilst parked at a set of lights the car began to shudder and the gear knob wobbled quite violently. I also noticed that the stop start tech had stopped working. In minutes the engine management light came on in yellow and whilst driving further down the road the car entered limp mode.

I have called bmw and they have said that there is a recall on this model due to the ignition coil failure and this will be done free of charge for me next week.

I wanted to know whether a problem with the coils would cause this kind of reaction from the car and whether having the coils changed would fix the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #1024
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

To the two posters above, your symptoms point towards the well-known faulty coils.

Give your franchised dealer a call and tell them you want the coils changed as part of the 'product enhancement' recall. It's free of charge and it doesn't matter if you bought the car privately or from an independent garage.

Nothing for you to lose.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:52 PM   #1025
Rass
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport Coup

Still having massive issues with my 320i not been on here for a while was looking to see if there was actually a fix out yet had my coils replaced some thousand pound sensor replaced engine flushed guys at the dealers seem to recon it's an oil pressure issue car has been a bit ropey this last while but was thinking I'm just going to have to put up with it untill tonight it has no power can bairly get it to 40mph and the idle is so rough I thought my fillings where going to fall out also seems to be only running on 3 cylinders dealer has recognised the problem since I bought the car and are happy to complete any repairs free of charge but now after several visits im going to be looking at a new engine or a like for like swap!!! Obviously 320d or higher won't touch this 320i engine with a shitty stick
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 03:53 PM   #1026
Rass
Enlisted Member
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320i M sport Coup

Dragon88 I've had my coils replaced recently and I'm still having the issue
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2012, 07:25 PM   #1027
Dragon88
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

I know some people on here have had a new set of coils, injectors, and plugs fitted to resolve the issue, something to suggest to your dealer?
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2012, 06:05 AM   #1028
Chrisf11sport
Private
Rep
Drives: f11 M Sport

Recently bought a e91 07 320i auto and iv just stumbled over this thread! any tips? 34`000 mile car with no faults as of yet to speak of,tho it cut out at the lights once and the idle revs fluttered but i didnt worry till i read this thread,and MPG is awful in my opinion (20-24 ish round town?)

I phoned BMW customer service and they said "no recalls on that vehicle at all" which seems unlikely after reading this forum?

I bought it from a Lexus dealers but paid for extended 12m warranty, but i can hardly go back and say XXXXX might go wrong so id like it fixing before it does? sorry but im not very clued up on all this car business,i buy them,and drive them...recalls and things are all new and worrying to me,im starting to wish id bought a diesel is220 -.-

Last edited by Chrisf11sport; 11-29-2012 at 02:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 11:51 AM   #1029
true-blue
Rep
Drives: 320i

Hi,

this is the last thread I want to be posting in, especially as a first post !!

Bought an 07 320i se coupe/convertable for the wife yesterday, having test driven extensively on Saturday. After a 2hr drive home the car had zero power when pulling away from the rounabout at the bottom of the motorway sliproad 5 mis from home. Didn't stall, but was literally like a snail. from each standing start the car was the same.

Today, the car is ok again, not powerfull and feels like it is being 'held back' when accelerating, but drivable.

Needless to say, I wish I'd found this thread first as it was a private purchase. Having said that, it's very high spec and in excellent condition appart from the obvious!!

I've now had a chance to go back through the receipts that came with the car and it looks like all the injectors, coilpacks and plugs where changed in January this year.

Then in November, it looks like the spark plugs and coils where changed again.

I know I need to get is scanned, so first question is can anyone recommend a good cheap fault reader that will work ?

Is it the case that the injectors only last a year (gulp!) and what's the cost of having them replaced? they've done about 10k miles.

I would like to try and get the car sorted, rather than bin it now, even if I can have some fun with it until spring/early summer next year.

I have read a lot of this thread, but not all of it - it seems that some people have got their problems fixed permanently and others have not. I'd like to get this sorted if possible : )
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2012, 02:09 PM   #1030
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

^^^
Find out from the part numbers on the invoice that if injectors replaced one were new and fault free?
      12-18-2012, 05:48 AM   #1031
true-blue
Rep
Drives: 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00 View Post
^^^
Find out from the part numbers on the invoice that if injectors replaced one were new and fault free?

Unfortunately, that invoice just says 'remove and replace all fuel injectors, plugs and coils' - no part numbers listed.

Are the latest Bosch coils under 'product recall' part number

B12.13.7.638.477 ?

The replacement coils, injectors and plugs was done on 18/01/2012 - would the injectors not be under warrenty for a year ?

Then new plugs and coils on 19/11/2012 (I'm assuming coils as it says ignition x 4 @ £23.21 then the part number listed above)

I've put a call in to the dealer who did the work, all lines to the department busy.... what's the bets I end up having to call them again !?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #1032
razor4tuning
Private
Rep
Drives: E93

Garage List
2007 Bmw E93  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKII View Post
Spoke to the dealer in CY,

Service guy mentioned that BMW has used in total 7 different types of coil packs in 90 series. It seems that there has been a factory recall for all but the last two sets of coils used on N43 engine.
Mine for example is not wearing the latest version but still no recall from the factory for it.

My concern is that why did they change the coilpack if no problems then? Maybe not enough customers comlained yet to recall.

Anyways, service guy took the car for a test drive and told me that car is running perfect. To prove me that my car had no missfire issues he let me sit in a car that was running on 3 cylinders (was in for coil change suprise) .
In my opinion was way too "shaky" to be the same symptom as missfire.

I booked a diagnostic test next week.

Still the car does not seem to beahave correctly, or at least evenly, some times is running extremely smoothly and seems powerfull and urgent to move ahead, and sometimes like hesistating or engine is about to die on braking.

Does anyone know whether the hesistation in 1500rpm-2000rpm is been affected by any external factors?
Hi!
mine is doing the same thing at low rpm, first started in the summer but now appeared also the engine check sign time to time on the dashboard and at some traffic lights when i was braking slowly after i released the brake the car was almost to die,but what i can't understand is why it has moments when pulls normally?
if something is wrong has to be always the same, also if i turn right the starring wheel makes noise
      01-20-2013, 03:53 PM   #1033
692DPG
Registered
Rep
Drives: E91 318i MSport Touring

I have an 2009 59 plate LCI E91 318i M Sport touring which shows all the classic symptoms - bought as a BMW AUC in July 2012 with 25k miles it went back after 1 week for misfiring and poor running and had all the coil packs and plugs replaced, then went in on recall to have the coil packs replaced again! Since then, it has been back for poor running, misfiring and intermittent power delivery twice.

My dealer has investigated the latter 2 events and the only fault code showing has identified the need for a de-nox which has been undertaken twice to no avail. They have run a journey memory check and have suggested that we need to do longer journeys as the usage indicated usage under 20 miles ordinarily! I have rejected the vehicle on the basis that it has had a pre-existing fault since delivery in July 2012. BMW UK has said it disagrees but has offered an extra 12months AUC warranty as a sweetener. I have acknowledged their offer but made it clear that the pre-existing fault is legally an issue between myself and the supplying dealer under the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 2003. Having held a 1:1 with the Dealership AUC Manager and Service Manager on Friday I await the next position - such fun!!!!

Last edited by 692DPG; 01-20-2013 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2013, 07:45 AM   #1034
jotty
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320I CONV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotty View Post
Well 2 weeks on and the car is totally different and a dream to drive, they changed all. coils, plugs and packs software update etc. my car is 3 months out of warranty and it has cost me £220 as my contribution. Miffed me off this wasn't detected fully sooner but I am told that BMW have only recently sent out the updated and supposed new coil packs.

My advice is to get it done ASAP you will not believe the difference
Just had my e93 in again for another set of wheels ( details on main thread) and low and behold they have changed my coil pack AGAIN! But this time free of charge and with no fuss or drama, in fact they did it and then told me all FOC.

feel even more miffed now about paying £220 18 months ago.
Appreciate 0