E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Tire + Coilover combo - as important as it seems?

06-05-2014, 08:28 PM   #1
OceanView18
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

Talking Tire + Coilover combo - as important as it seems?

Have a 2011 328i xdrive sedan with the 6 speed and sport package - with the standard runflats.

Would like KW v1s fairly soon but was told to change to non-run flats first which I totally agree with - does it matter very much which tires I pair the coilover suspension with ?

My thought is I should get Continential extreme contact DWSs (since I live in Boston) and the soft ride of these tires will balance out some of the increased stiffness from the KW v1s. But I know these tires don't handle as well say the Michelin Pilot A/S 3, or Goodyear F1 Asymmetric all seasons -

long story short, I'm only considering high performance all seasons with my eyes on coilovers down the road. Just concerned I won't be as happy with the handling of the DWSs compared to the runflats, but looking forward to the smoother ride. I'd buy the michelin's or goodyears in a heart beat but concerned that they won't cut it in the snow (especially the michelin's A/S 3s)

Any of these tires a better fit with the coilovers? Not sure, thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #2
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Tires will not affect the coils, however it will change the overall ride feel and quality. I have Continental DWS and it drive very nice and smooth. I like it most because of the tread life.
      06-07-2014, 03:54 PM   #3
OceanView18
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i xdrive

follow-u

thanks, appreciate - see that you're in michigan where the roads are about as bad as in Boston - are you ok with the DWS reducing the steering response, and was that at issue for you when you bought them? If the road were smooth where I lived and snow was few and far between, I'd look at the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3 more, but overall I hear great things about the DWS
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2014, 06:29 PM   #4
ccraig13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 328xi 6MT

Had the Hankook Ventus V12's last year and now have the A/S 3's. They live up to the hype. Though I won't be running them in snow, which I hear mixed reviews about.