E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!

02-20-2015, 02:02 PM   #1
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Everything You Need to Know About Paint Coatings!

Photo by Zach McGovern of Attention To Detailing Peoria.

Coatings have been becoming extremely popular the past couple of years. Detailers and weekend warriors have been switching over from waxes and sealants to see what all the buzz is about and from we can see, coatings are here to stay! The look may be different than what you expect to see from a wax or sealant, however there is something about seeing your car in what looks like a coat of glass that just really stands out. Each year new versions come out and coatings just seem to be getting better and better.

If you are looking for the deepest, wettest look out there, we here at Detailed Image would highly recommend checking out a coating (i.e. 22ple, Gtechniq, CarPro, etc.). These semi-permanent coatings take more effort and time to apply, but the results are well worth it. They will provide an amazing level of gloss and shine, while protecting your paint for up to 24 months! Like mentioned above, your car looks like it has been coated entirely in glass! Better yet, you can top these coatings (i.e. 22ple VS1 Final Coat, CarPro Reload Spray Sealant, etc.) to add more depth, gloss, and protection to the paint!

As the popularity of coatings grow our Ask-a-Pro detailers have been hard at work testing and using these coatings in their detailing routines. Below are some great articles they have written to help guide you through the process of applying and taking care of a coating:We also have some other great product reviews and detailing articles that contain popular coating products. Take a look at these below:We hope this coating information is helpful and if you ever have any questions regarding coatings or any other products, please do not hesitate to contact us!

Greg @ DI
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 02:32 PM   #2
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

I am curious, how do these coating wear? You say they will last for up to 24 months but how does it manifest when it wears off? I know that 22PLE is touted as a "glass coating" but that would seem to imply it would start to flake off as it wears out.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2015, 08:47 PM   #3
cpie168
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 328i 6MT ZSP BSM

Subscribed. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:46 AM   #4
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Have you put any of these on a flat single-stage paint? Or on top of a flat clear?

My son wants to do his bug in one of those 2 choices, but I really want to protect the paint once it is applied flat. Trying to figure out what to put on top that keeps it flat but protects from the elements
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:01 AM   #5
Jfrisco
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 jet black

Interesting. I am curious with how they wear as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
I am curious, how do these coating wear? You say they will last for up to 24 months but how does it manifest when it wears off? I know that 22PLE is touted as a "glass coating" but that would seem to imply it would start to flake off as it wears out.
While I will not attempt to explain the full chemistry of it, nor can I as my background isn't in chemistry whatsoever , the simple answer is the coatings won't flake off unless they were installed improperly. Think of it as wearing similar to clear coat/paint, through mechanical abrasion and some oxidation of the actual bonded layer of coating. I have yet to see any coating show signs of flaking and that includes me having tried all the Optimum, CQuartz, 22PLE and other coatings. However, I suspect if applied on top of a finish that's oily, it will not bond well and simply harden on top until it starts to flake off.

As I said, we've applied quite a few coatings and some with horrible prep on personal cars for experimenting purposes, but never had an issues with flaking off. Hope that answers it. For a more detailed answer, you'd have to look into the exact chemistry of each coating (many are very different) and understand how each bonds to paint, or doesn't for that matter. Well beyond my paygrade and of course some are manufacturer secrets .

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Have you put any of these on a flat single-stage paint? Or on top of a flat clear?

My son wants to do his bug in one of those 2 choices, but I really want to protect the paint once it is applied flat. Trying to figure out what to put on top that keeps it flat but protects from the elements
Great question. By flat paint do you mean matte and non-shiny, or simply non-metallic? If matte, I've only had minimal experience with it on a clear coated matte paint, but the coating didn't affect the look much. It provides a slight change in looks, a slight sheen, but keeps the matte appearance.

I've also heard coatings may not last as long on matte paint, but haven't had the chance to experiment with durability myself.

Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:45 AM   #7
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

I spoke to the guy who painted my bike. He showed me a flattening agent (powder) to add to single-stage paint (he's done a few helmets that way) OR normal color coat then a flat clear coat. The latter is apparently extremely more difficult to get a good consistent spray since ANY contaminants have to stay as it, you can't buff them out without turning the clear to shiny.

The mechanic who is going to help us with resurrecting the bug has a matte black Camaro or something on the lot, but he just protects it with dust . . .
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:48 PM   #8
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Spring is just around the corner! Can't wait for temps to get better here in NJ so I can start detailing. Will definitely look into this.
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 12:00 PM   #9
originalgoods13
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: Chevy Spark

I have used GTechniq C1 (semi-permanent coating) and topped it with two coats of EXO V2 and applied within recommended temperature and humidity, so far so good.

I think the main issue is the perception of dirt, and scratch resistance

Also, it is not a luster or glossy as paint work on a high quality wax or even AutoGlym HD

But it is a trade-off
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #10
BeastMode335i
Maximus Decimus Meridius
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I wish you guys could just come to Florida and Glass'ify my Jet Black E92 haha..!
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 10:59 PM   #11
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
I am readying a new set of wheels for spring, and am interested in testing glass coatings.

- For this application, which do you find best between 22ple, carpro, etc?
- What would the differences be between applying VM1 vs VX1 on painted wheels?
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2015, 11:08 PM   #12
NJ Krish
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw 328xi 2008 Coupe

Garage List
2008 Bmw 328xi  [10.00]
Sadly the 22ple VM1 Rim and metal coating is out of stock with you guys
Current 2008 Bmw 328xi Coupe Sport N51 /w 3 stage IM | VMR 710 w/ Conti DWS | AA Tune Stage 2 | AA Signature Exhaust | Red Cyba scoops | Lux V4 | Euro-box mod w/ Silicone intake hose | Eibach pro kit w/ Bilstein Sport | Carbon Fiber Hood powerdome | Mtech Bumper w/ Akyrim CF lip
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2015, 12:46 PM   #13
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
I am readying a new set of wheels for spring, and am interested in testing glass coatings.

- For this application, which do you find best between 22ple, carpro, etc?
- What would the differences be between applying VM1 vs VX1 on painted wheels?
I've always liked using the VM1 22PLE on wheels, but you really can't go wrong with CQuartz regular or UK. They're all meant for a painted finish, but I stick with VM1 as it's designed for wheels and hopefully will last longer.
As for VM1 vs VX1, we currently have VX1 on 3 wheels and VM1 on 1 wheel of a client's A7, hoping to test the looks and durability after a while. He hasn't been back yet, but they both applied and looked exactly the same when we first protected the wheels.

Hope that helps,
Ivan @ DI
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2015, 11:18 AM   #14
zero2sixtyZ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 + f15

Garage List
Thanks for your response, Ivan. Will the 20mL be enough to coat 4 wheels, faces and barrels? If so, any ETA on when they will be back in stock?
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #15
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero2sixtyZ View Post
Thanks for your response, Ivan. Will the 20mL be enough to coat 4 wheels, faces and barrels? If so, any ETA on when they will be back in stock?
I'm sure it'll be more than enough or the 4 wheels. I think it's in stock now.
Appreciate 0